VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what would you want?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gswartz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: what would you want? Reply with quote

I read a thread on here regarding voice123.com and noticed that many people aren't happy with the investment they made in their service. Although I would like to do voice over and am actively working on pursuing it, I'm a web developer by day and have been thinking about building a site like voice123. I know a lot around here don't seem happy with voice123, but don't flame me right away. The reason I'm posting this is because I would want to create it in such a way that it actually provided what the talent is looking for. I know it's impossible to guarantee that everyone who posts an audition mp3 would get a job, but what features do you think would help make more people successful on a site like that? What does voice123 lack that you think would be more beneficial to the talent?
audiogenic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts. . .

Gender preference from client on VO talent (seeking Male, Female or Either). IV has this but V123 does not. No sense having females audition when the client is set on a male voice.

No custom demos allowed to clients for their leads under a certain minimum threshold $$$ (with exceptions i.e. telephony prompts, ect.).

Minimum threshold payouts for gigs (with exceptions i.e. telephony prompts, ect.) so that clients don't nickel and dime a :30 radio commecial down to $20.

Pricing model works for v123 but not for the talent. A commission based model for every lead fulfilled though their site as oppose to a flat yearly membership fee is better.

Last edited by audiogenic on Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
gswartz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiogenic wrote:

Better screening process for allowing VO talent accees to the site. Being able to afford the entry fee alone is not enough.

Thanks for the input. What would you suggest for screening? Experience, studio availability, isdn capability, turnaround time, or???
audiogenic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commission based model instead of screening correction made above.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you run a commision based model then aren't you in effect an agent? Which opens up new rules etc. right? I'm not disagreeing with you, just looking for clarification.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe with the commission route there are legal implications. The evidence, although for the most part anecdotal, suggests that for the majority these sites do not work.

If you look at the member list for VO-BB and then look at who posts you will see a large percentage of inactive members. The majority joined and browsed looking for work or prospects then departed. I do not judge these people for so doing.

It is unlikely that it will ever be in the interest of a voice over to try to promote his or her services on a site with a list of competitors their qualification for being on the site the willingness to pay the fee.

Looking for a male voice? Come to Philip Banks 1st and if that doesn't work for you then you'll be re-directed to my agent 2nd.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screening out the unqualified would be wonderful, but how do you do that legally? Who draws the line? By the way, V123 does offer gender selection, but then you get a client who's not sure whether their ad should be read by a male or female so they select both and you get 400 responses in a day instead of 200. They also offer age selection, but almost everyone lists themselves as young, middle aged and decrepit so there's little choice there.

An ideal scenario would have a site full of the best and most unique (under-represented) talents, marketed to the best and most unique clients.

Bon chance,

Bruce
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: