VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SNAP, Inc.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: SNAP, Inc. Reply with quote

www.snapclinics.org

I got an email from this morning asking me to do a pro bono 5-minute narration for a video. They're a non-profit and they seem legit, but I like to do my due diligence. Has anyone else been asked to do pro bono work for them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a general point regarding this stuff. I've done a certain amount of charity & pro bono work, and will always look at something that's put in front of me. In my cases, I've been approached by existing business clients who also do pro bono work of their own. They have asked if would like to help, I've reviewed the "cause", and happily agreed.

To cold call a professional and ask them to work for free for a good cause is certainly a tried and trusted way of getting stuff done, but I prefer a more personal approach... a request from someone I know or have an existing relationship with, or a charity that is known to or personally important to me. I support a number of charities, but I don't like emotional blackmail.

It's not the charity (this one looks as worthy as any other)... it's the cold call requesting your services for free that I find troublesome. I wonder how that worked out for them with Verizon, ConEdison... or even Starbucks? Sorry to be Grinch-like... but one simply cannot give to everyone just because they ask.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Peter on this. There are plenty of organizations or projects for which I will gladly do a pro bono narration but in most cases I need to already be familiar with the organization or have an existing personal relationship with the person making the request.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even charities have budgets.

If everyone else on the project is working totally for free, that will pique my interest, but I'm in league with Peter and Lee— I like to have a relationship with the people I spiff.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to all the above. I need someone I can look in the eye (literally or figuratively) who can assure me the organization is a worthy one.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond what's already been mentioned, I can't tell you how often this sort of request comes from the production company, often who is being paid handsomely to produce said "charitable piece". Getting free videographers, narrators, on-camera talent and resources in the guise of "charity" is one way some folks are making a go of it with very little available work.

Be careful

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if you need a graceful way to say no, simply tell them you do one pro bono project per year, it's already been selected, and you will add them to the list for 2013 (2031!)
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane Maggipinto wrote:
... a graceful way to say no...
That's another problem... there's nothing wrong with being polite whenever possible, but I really object to manipulative emotional blackmail... the postal appeal that includes money in the envelope, the implication that you're a bad person if you don't give... maybe not quite as bad as the overt accusation that you're a child-beating fascist if you don't "like/share" some aphorism on FB, but it's getting there. You should be able to ignore/deny such requests with no need to justify what you do... no squirming or agonizing required.

This is a something that happened to me a few years ago, which I found rather chilling, and which has probably coloured my opinions somewhat...

Phone rings...
Hi, this is Sgt. Whoever, and I'm calling on behalf of the Police Benevolent Fund.
Oh Hi, I'm sorry, I don't give money over the phone...
Why... don't you trust the police?
... at this point I was sucked into a discussion defending my position, eventually taking a hard line and firmly, but politely, saying no and hanging up.
Phone rings again...
We know where you live y'know...

Since then, I have avoided all discussion on the matter. If the polite refusal doesn't work and they try to argue the point to convince me, then the chances of me ever giving them anything is zero... berate me, and I'll go out of my way to convince others that you're a bad choice.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever those alleged police organizations call asking for a donation, I always ask them to mail me their literature so I can look it over at my convenience. If they have none, that immediately identifies them as not being legitimate, and if they do have some, it's a painless way to end the phone call.

I used to feel slightly guilty about not making a donation but still using the note pads, return address labels and other miscellaneous crap certain charities send out, but then I told myself, "I didn't ask them to send me this shit. Throwing it away would be wasteful."

It does irk me just a bit that organizations like the Heart Association and the Cancer Society seem to spend the entire amount of my contributions on printing and postage to send me more solicitations for additional donations.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since we're on this now - i have given money to a particular charity over the years and support the work they do. every couple of weeks i get a "free gift" from them - gardening gloves, labels, note pads, et. al. over a 4 month period i saved all this un-opened stuff and sent it back to them - in a fair-sized box - with a nice note explaining that i would continue sending them money ONLY if they stopped sending me their crap. i said it in a nicer way - but that's the gist. i didn't hear back - it frustrates the crap out of me because i still get their stuff every two weeks - - and i don't send them any more money.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to throw in a note to balance this a little. I have every admiration for the grass roots workers who give freely of their time and resources for a cause they believe in, but I get really teed-off with the corporate face of professional fund-raising. I certainly understand the business argument that someone who increases a charity's income by $1M may well be worth the $500K salary or consultancy fees. But it just doesn't sit right with me. I don't want to be put in a position where I am forced to see charities as businesses like any other... I know that's the reality, but I need to see them as a bunch of inspired volunteers. Any policy or action that blatantly tells me otherwise shatters my self-imposed delusion.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree - you just have to do your due diligence - for example - here's the break down for the Wounded Warrior Project:

Programs: 82% Fund Raising: 12% Administrative: 6%

as opposed to the Firefighters Charitable Foundation:

Programs: 7.7% Fund Raising: 85.6% Administrative: 6.7%

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that 99% of those benevolent police and fire organizations are ripoffs and have nothing to do with first responders. And most of the "donate your car to charity" organizations are a ripoff if they're not associated directly with a very well known charity such as your local PBS station or The American Cancer Society.

After all these years I have no compunction in telling solicitors early on I don't give money to anyone over the phone or through the door. They're usually quite happy to move on, one step closer to the next sucker.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, follow up with a "Put this number on the do not call list."
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of those PBA calls are from professional fundraisers. Very little actually gets to the charity from what I've read. I always just tell them I support my local police department, thank them for the call and hang up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: