VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dayum. Just when you thought you had a rate structure...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Dayum. Just when you thought you had a rate structure... Reply with quote

Based on the type of VO work I mostly do, I have established rates which work for me (and my clients). Well, along comes a request to audition for the narration of an independent filmmaker's documentary. When asked about my rate, I quoted my non-broadcast rate, but explained that if the production is for air, that it would be different. I added (foolishly, in hindsight) "But let's worry about that after you decide you like the demo read and want to use me." FYI, I am presently working non-union.

Well, the good news is that they want me to do it and we're coordinating availability. The bad news is that now I have to come up with a rate that doesn't scare them away. I've googled and all I can find in the AFTRA rate sheet is for non-broadcast. Anyone know the going rate for broadcast narration? I'm assuming this documentary will be a limited airing, but I guess I shouldn't assume anything. I'd just like to have an idea of what number I should have in mind when I ask what their budget is, so I can be prepared.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your session fee (one hour minimum) + 100% use for 2 transmissions.
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Banksey. I meant to thank you for your reply last night, but got sidetracked.

The producer and I had an exchange today. She's an independent filmmaker and is funding this out of pocket, etc. etc., etc. so we compromised. It'll be more like regular rate plus 60%. And there's a good chance it won't even air (sadly).

Thanks again for the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: