VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lisinopril and cough
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkuhlken
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Lisinopril and cough Reply with quote

I was been placed on Lisinopril in order to regulate blood pressure about the time I decided to start voiceovering.

I have been unable to do any auditioning for the last couple of weeks because of a persistent dry cough.

Turns out, this is a side-effect of the BP medication.

Have any of you had experience with this, does it go away, and what are some other less side effecty meds I could try?

I know you are not doctors, but some of you play them on the mic.

Suave, debonair, a ladies man. Sophisticated, urbane, well heeled....no, wait...that's not me
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a well-known problem, as you point out. We are both on it, and the cough has been persistent. Hydrating a LOT seems to help, but the cough never goes away. Problem is, other BP drugs have other less-wonderful side effects. My DH tried a couple of others; the cough sorta went away, but they didn't control the BP as well.

A friend suggested Losartin (I think that's how it's spelled), DH's doctor put him on that, and the BP control was awful.

So.... that's our experience.
kkuhlken
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks CC! Nice to know other people have encountered this. I guess now that I know what is going on, I can buy stock in Halls and the local water authority and keep that going.

I had no idea that it was a side effect until earlier this week. I guess that's the problem with common knowledge - it ain't so common.

Of course, I could lose this extra person I'm carrying around and regulate the blood pressure that way, but who would keep the local McDonalds in business? It's my responsibility!

Suave, debonair, a ladies man. Sophisticated, urbane, well heeled....no, wait...that's not me
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE lost a bunch of weight, still have more to go. My MD has said when the next twenty pounds come off, we'll think about lowering the dosage. But, until that time, it's lisinopril.

I once heard a doctor say that he thought lisinopril should be in the water supply - -meaning, it would lower BP a lot and for little cost. But, fortunately, he wasn't serious.
Scott Lyle
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to see HCTZ all the time in the field while working as a medic. It's a loop diuretic that works in your kidneys to reduce the amount of fluid in the system. Reduce the amount of fluid in the system, less pressure on the pump, then you reduce bp. Many doctors will prescribe this first since it's main side-effect is just urination. It's also dirt cheap. I'm hoping to get off my own need for bp meds losing this weight. I'm down 18 lbs so far! Now I just need to get off drinking caffeine! Good luck.
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that weight loss. I know how tough it can be... but I keep persevering and I know you can do it too!
kkuhlken
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! If I really must lose weight, I guess that's for the best. Scared to do the diuretic route since I already am up 2 or 3 times a night. I know. TMI.

I'll just keep pumping myself full of water for hydration and *sigh* start exercising again.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, there are some formulations of BP meds that cause a dry cough. Just explain it to your doc and he/she should find you one that doesn't. The effect goes away soon after you stop taking it.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys asked your doctors what other dietary and exercise (time permitting) you can do to lower your blood pressure? One that would hopefully have you medicate less in the future. Perhaps they know of a professional dietician that can help you? You don't have to make the local McDonald's go out-of-business, but perhaps it yields a smaller salary for the execs Wink

One thing I learned quite a few years ago is that changing a lifestyle should go in small and incremental steps. This definitely goes for changes in eating patterns and habits.

Good luck to you all!
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer about the coughing. FWIW, I'm on HCTZ for my Meniere's Disease and, outside of needing to watch hydration, I haven't had any side effects. My blood pressure naturally runs low, and on the HCTZ it's really low.
FaffCon
TalkerTees
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that this has come up b/c I just did the vo for Edarby and Edarblychor, both of which do not mention this as a side effect. I think it's new, as a matter of fact it must be because they needed the audio days before they sent me the scripts. I'm thinking about asking my doc about it because every since I busted up my leg I have had high blood pressure and while I know exercising will bring it back down, I have to get the darn leg/glute to heal. This new med might be worth checking into.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the question about the exercise and diet: to a first approximation, losing weight and doing exercise has helped bring my BP down, but not enough to get off the meds yet. As I lose weight, I may be able to get off completely, but that will depend on other factors. The doc is not committing to anything until I get my weight and BMI down to where it should be (and "where it should be" is a matter of some conjecture).

I've had docs tell me that they can't predict whether or not I'll need it at that point; but certainly the exercise helps keep the rest of the system better able to deal with higher BP. That being said, YMMV.
whalewtchr
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Lisinopril as well, as a precaution for my Type 2 Diabetes which unfortunately runs in our family. Have not had the dry cough. A few things I keep handy include Entertainers Secret, an alcohol free mouthwash and plenty of throat coat tea which seems to keep the working parts fairly lubed when I am doing any long form narration and of course the water which at times one can get sick of.
kkuhlken
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's bottled water - Savannah water has its own peculiar taste!

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I will be talking to my doctor. My wife seems it's unsafe to go to sleep with a cough drop in my mouth. Silly girl.

whalewtchr
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, that's funny, but I am in Pooler where it's cooler and the water is fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: