VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best computers/laptops to use for recording
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mythwoman
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Best computers/laptops to use for recording Reply with quote

Hey All,

I'm just curious. What kind of PC or Mac does everyone use for recording?

I ask because I've used a PC for a long time, but I've started getting into recording audiobooks and have been told that I needed more lively sound (other than my closet). I had to make some changes in my room so I can record on the microphone and monitor my levels (which I couldn't do before), as a result, though the sound is more lively, my mic can pick up the PC noise from the CPU (fan, electrical hum) and I'm super stressed out now. I tried moving the CPU further away with cable extensions, but that didn't help much at all.

I've been wondering if I should move to Macs now since many say they're quiet. At the same time, I'm not used to Mac computers and would have to buy all new software an such.

I'm just wondering, what computers/laptops are best for recording?

Take care,
Mary
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mary - can you post some audio? fan noise and electrical hum are two VERY different things. we can do some diagnostic work if we can hear what we're dealing with.

ans by we, i mean george & frank

Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac mini and Appogee One.

Quiet, simple, portable and clean.

Smile

www.monksvoice.com
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary:

That's what my dropbox is for, to help analyze the sound and recommend solutions. Hearing is believing!

FYI: You can get a Mac Mini and still run Windows on it. Not completely silent, but very quiet. I haven't found a PC yet as quiet.

George
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many people who will say that the most effective/elegant/quiet Mac solution (desktop, as opposed to laptop) is a Mac Mini. If you're thinking of going Mac, then I'd be tempted to go this route. Others would say that an iMac also has minimal noise. If I was building a rig from scratch, I get an older Mac Mini (Intel Core 2 Duo based) and swap-out the HDD for a solid-state unit. Use a reasonably priced Asus/Acer/Dell monitor and you've done the whole thing for a relatively low price.

Software... it always depends what you're already used to, but either SoundStudio4 or Twisted Wave are nice little (inexpensive) programs with plenty of functions for straight VO recording. Adobe Audition works nicely on the Mac for more complex work.

My own personal set-up is a fully configured MacPro which resides outside my recording space (because of the noise). It's overkill for my recording/editing, but it serves as my everything computer. On the road, I use an old black MacBook with a solid-state drive.... it's silent until the fan kicks-in.

I know George Whittam is an advocate of the Mac Mini, maybe he'll be able to give you some more accurate or up to date information.

Cheers
Peter

edit: while I was typing, George replied Smile
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mac Mini sits about 2 and a half feet from my mic, out in the open and I never hear it (tiny noises on start-up and that's it). New ones start at $599 (and that's all the power you'll need) but they don't come with a monitor, a keyboard, and mouse or track pad. If you have a newer monitor it should plug right in (with an adapter?) to your Mini. As reliable as Macs are it's one of the few devices I'd recommend buying the 3-year warranty. It's costs so much less than one repair. Plus you get all the free advice and help you can handle. Your total price for all the bits (not counting monitor) should come in a bit under $1,000.

iMacs are very quiet, and have all the bits in one package, but if your space is not well sound deadened you might hear it under certain circumstances. The cheapest iMac will be under $1,500 with extra warranty.

You can get a new PC and monitor for as little has half that, but fan noise will always be an issue. For your old PC or a new one you can always run long wiring and hide your processing unit, but that can cost moolah and be inconvenient depending on how that's set up.

Have we overloaded you yet with info?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the options I'm considering is a recent development that's been discussed here before.... The iPad. With the new Alesis io dock, it's a totally fanless setup with balanced ins and outs, phantom power, and relatively portable. A used iPad1 can be had for $300 on CL these days, and the io dock runs about $200. Needs to run iOS 5.1 according to reports online, but early reviews have been encouraging...... Can't imagine the pre's are that strong, but I'm curious enough to continue checking it out. Trying to talk my local audio house into a test run if I can find the right deal on an iPad.....
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If noise is the issue get a box to put the PC in to quiet it down or move it out of the room. Got a closet for the PC?
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Macbook Pro works to an extent, but the fan noise can be unreliable if it kicks in. I do use Pro Tools as my DAW.
swduncan
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the MacBook Air models? So far as I know they have no fans, but are decently powerful computers.
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you what, Macbook Pro sometimes chugs when it comes to processing and editing. I wouldn't personally trust an Air to do the job. Especially not without overheating. But then again, I've set the bottom tier at the Pro.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macbook Air does have a fan, but it is nearly indetectible unless you put your ear directly against it. You might be surprised to see how well they perform, since they use a VERY fast SSD drive (solid state disk) instead of the old-fashioned spinning hard drives. My Hackintosh with SSD boots up in under 30 seconds and aHobo Tounges launch usually in 1-2 seconds. It's incredible...
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! They come standard with SSDs now? Neat! The only issue in that case would be storage capacity. Possibly rectified with external hard drives.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

threadjack -

george what size ssd do you have? are you running ALL your aHobo Tounges from it?

/threadjack

Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
threadjack -

george what size ssd do you have? are you running ALL your aHobo Tounges from it?

/threadjack

Todd,
you are hereby advised that you will need to join the Local 420 Threadjackers Union and list it in your signature Ninja
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: