VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avalon V5 Preamp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Avalon V5 Preamp Reply with quote

As much as I'm very happy with my Focusrite ISA One, I've always wanted an Avalon M5. Well, now I want the new Avalon V5 which has shelving EQ presets built in:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/851538-REG/Avalon_Design_V5_B_V5_Pure_Class_A.html

It's available at many other retailers as well: I only post the link because Avalon doesn't even have it on their own website yet.
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. About 500 less than the M5 too.
Leslie Humble
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking piece of equipment. I noticed a big difference in the clarity and smoothness after switching to my Avalon M5. I love it. I finally got the sound I wanted for the 416, U87, and Mojave MA 200. The M5 made a clear difference from the Sumner touted Golden Age pre 73, the Presonus Eureka, and I could even tell a clear difference for the better from Avalon's 737 and gave it up. The V5 looks like a winner too.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie,

Does it still give you enough warmth compared to a tube pre like the 737?
Leslie Humble
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, you're right that the Avalon M5 and Avalon 737Sp are very different. Withe the M5 as Solid State and the 737 as a tube.
If you define "warmth" as a slight and pleasing harmonic distortion than you won't get that from the M5. You can do some of "warming" in post.

While I do like the 737, I join probably about 95% of recording engineers in thinking the M5 is the superior preamp. But I am a wire plus gain kind of guy. Although the M5 does have a great easily adjustable HP filter on the front panel.

If you are looking for "color" and/or want the channel strip in your unit you probably do not want the M5.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I'm running an LA 610 right now, but I toy with the idea of going to a
solid state pre....there's always a trade-off tho

so did you go back to a U87? I think you had said at one time that you had replaced it with the Mojave. I've heard a lot of good buzz on the Mojave.
Leslie Humble
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey....just got in from doing a live show in Naples. I'll probably need to supplement my VO income with the shows for about 2 more years according to the plan.

I also am a big fan of that 610 you are using. A very fine preamp. You know they say it is a case of diminishing returns on both mics and pres after a certain point. Getting that last 5 % can cost more than you should usually spend when the room and some eq can do the job. Your UA 610 is a GREAT Pre.

I actually do slightly prefer the Mojave MA 200 on me for longform and narration. Is it better than the U87? I can't say that. Can it work as well for some people? I think so. Would you agree the usual order of importance is
Talent, Room, Mic, Pre?

I am currently redoing all of my demos. They will be back up in a couple of weeks. I have heard such fine talent here that I wanted to feel more competitive before putting anything out there. I hope to make friends here. And to me that does not just mean what can you do for me ...but what can I do for you also.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting price.
Just below their other preamps, but not under $1000 to be confused with other "sub-Avalon" equipment.
An M5-V5 shootout is sure to come on 'slutz

"Straight wire with gain" is the way to go, IMHO.

G
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Leslie will be a good influence around here for those of us prone to flare-ups of gear-itis.

Now If I could just quit hanging out with Lance, Skinny Johnny and Tom Test.... cool
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm done with the preamp search. I'm in the "clean" mode using a Gordon Model 4. It's not pretty, but sounds great!
Rob, I always enjoy hearing from you. So please, don't become a stranger.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When talking preamps of the caliber of the M5 or Avalon 737sp, I have to chime in about the Martech MSS-10. http://www.martinsound.com/pd_mss.htm

When looking to spend that kind of money I auditioned pre's as much as I could. I had wanted an Avalon 737 for a long time. Made the purchase from Guitar Center with a 30 day return option. It was definitely a major bump up from the PreSonus Eureka I'd used for a couple years and the Aphex 230 I was using at the time. Just prior to me pulling the trigger to make it mine, a friend who has a beautiful recording studio in Nashville, like who doesn't in Nashville, said I needed to try the Martech. Among the pres he had in his studio, were the Avalon 737, a Neve Portico 5015 and the Martech. We A/B/C'd the three and while there was barely a discernible difference between the Avalon and the Neve, the Martech was outstanding. We used my Senn 416 for the test. It was clean, clear, rich, very detailed and for lack of a better word, natural. I ordered it on the spot and returned my 737 that day.

The thing I've found about Preamps, IMO, if they try to do too much, i.e. on board compressor, eq, etc., they don't do any one thing extremely well. In the 30 days I had the Avalon, there were so many adjustments, I never found the one I was happy with all the time. The Martech does one thing and it does it extremely well.

I've had the Martech for two years now and obviously I'm still happy enough with it to keep touting its virtues. If you are going to spend that kind of money, it's well worth your time to check it out.

@George - Any experience with the Martech?

www.rickrileyvoice.com
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Martech.
I was looking for one when the Gordon became available, so I got it instead. I've heard great things about the Martech unit as well!
Leslie Humble
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on both the Gordon and the Martech. There are two others that I would put in there that work for me along with my M5. Looks like there are several more lovers of clarity, honesty, transparency, and "I want to know what I REALLY sound like" on VO-BB.

Rob, I appreciate the thought but I can't help you fend off Skinny Johnny and his friends. I get that Gearitis too. It is good to know however, that you have found and gain staged, the right setup. Now you can forget about a lot of that part of this adventure and let Gearitis become a leasure time obsession.

Looking forward to the M5 vs V5 shootout. I think the talented George Whittam should do it.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I am NOT the right person to shoot-out preamps. I don't have a studio, for one!

I've never heard of the Martech until you guys started talking about it, but that doesn't mean anything about it. I just don't spend a lot of time sniffing out new flavors of preamps. I've found my favorites and like to keep things narrowed down to a handful. In other words, I've found a treatment for Gearitis or G.A.S., and no longer suffer from it.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: