VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Working Voice Actor as of Today

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: A Working Voice Actor as of Today Reply with quote

Just got home from my first session ever. It went really well, and I just thought I'd come here and shout about it. This is such a cool job!

Which makes me wonder: What is the protocol for this sort of thing? Does anybody care if I post on a public board what spot I recorded today, who it was for, etc.? (And by anybody, I mean the people involved in the spot itself -- the producer, the studio, the client, etc.) It's not a big secret campaign or anything, In fact, it's an ongoing campaign. Still, I have no idea if that would ruffle anyone's feathers. I'm inclined to err on the side of caution, obviously, but I'm curious to know what others think.

And one more question: Is it kosher to ask for a recorded copy of the finished spot? It's not going to run in my market, so getting a copy is the only way I'll get to hear it.

Thanks!

Tony
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the official protocol is, however, I just recently did a spot aired on NBC in Little Rock Arkansas (I live in Colorado) and I asked the producer if I could have a copy of it. He went so far as to say he would give me the fully produced tv commercial (video and audio), or just the audio if I wanted. He acted like it was the most natural thing in the world. Also, I don't see how people could acquire real spots to add to their demo if it weren't ok to ask for a copy.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get the full spectrum of responses to that question from TV stations.

Some have policies NOT to provide that stuff. Others are really good about it. Still others say "no prob!", then never deliver.

It mostly depends on the quality of people in the department doing the production.

Courvo
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your gig! For the most part, to whom you share the client info is your business. Most VO talent will use the name of an important client to beef up their resume. Although, sharing specific information about a project could come back to haunt you. The client may not like you sharing information about a product before it is officailly launched and other voice talent might try to nudge in on your business.

As for asking for the finished product? Go right ahead. Say it's for your personal use to listen to. It never hurts to ask.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-disclosure agreements will specify what you can and cannot tell. Most commercial projects are used on the air quickly, so an NDA isn't necessary, but things that take a long time to produce will have strictures placed on what you can and cannot tell.
For instance-- I did a bunch of cat and dog vocalizations for a video game in April. It was for a British game development company.

That's all I can tell you until the game comes out Q1 2007.
No one wants to get "scooped".
You also can't talk about projects that involve stars because the production companies and distributors want to have control over the info for the sake of hype.

Last night I did the vox for an ESPN's World Series of Poker promo.
I CAN tell you all of that because the promo is hitting the air this week or something.
(My promo won't be on, I'm afraid. The end client decided they wanted only male vox for the project after all. C'est la vie.)

Last edited by Deirdre on Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best just to keep the details to myself unless I'm 100 percent sure I can blab them before the spot airs. (Though I think I can safely say that BenWils is the only person I know of on this board who'll be able to hear it on the air.)

And I've made an inquiry about getting a copy of the spot.

Thanks for the input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: