VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audition vs. Pro Tools
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which DAW would you prefer to use?
Adobe audition
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
Pro Tools
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 27

Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Audition vs. Pro Tools Reply with quote

For those of you who have used both pro tools and adobe audition: what do you see as the pros and cons of each?
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro Tools, but only because I started with it. This is such a highly individual preference, and I think many answers have the same basis as mine.
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer AA because of the included processing dynamics and the wide variety of file types available in the software.

You can do fine work in both. If you're trying to decide for yourself, look for a used copy of AA 1.5. You can put it on as many computers as you like with no online registering.
cyclometh
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a discussion that comes up often. The choice of DAW is a personal one and based on user preference and familiarity.

That said, I'd tend to suggest that if all else is equal to avoid ProTools. The reason is simply because that is a lot of functionality you won't use as a VO, but you will still pay for it (in both cost and learning curve).

I personally use Cubase, which is actually more intended for music production than the kind of work I do, but it's what I learned on and so I'm most comfortable with it.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both, and I tend to agree with the "general wisdom" that I've gleaned from here and elsewhere. If you have acquired ProTools knowledge and are comfortable with the workflow, then it's a good tool (albeit plagued with version control, dongles and compatibility issues). Lots of people have grow with the industry over a number of years and know how to get the best out of ProTools without getting bogged down in its particular idiosyncrasies. If however, you are coming in cold, with no pre-existing time investment in ProTools, then avoid it like the plague.

Most complex tools require time investment. Personally, I'm invested in Apple's Soundtrack Pro (and to a lesser extent, Logic). I can pretty much make it do whatever I want as a multi-track DAW. I am trying to transfer my knowledge over to Adobe (but it's a slow process). I think if someone were to give me a full ProTools, I'd smile sweetly, thank them, and give it back.
Claire Dodin
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both and I prefer Audition for two reasons:

-Audition is easier to use for me, I find it an intuitive software. When I don't know how to do something, I can usually find out by trying without opening the manual. Pro-tools on the other hand is rather painful to learn.

-Audition comes with plenty of effects and you can find great free or inexpensive vts plug-ins. Pro-tools comes with nothing and each plug-in is very expensive (a few hundred $). So the cost to do the same thing with both software is way higher with Pro-tools.

But on the Pro-tools pros, most studios use it and I've been asked before to send them the entire session, which I could not do with Audition. However, this doesn't happen often.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what's being said. Protools is incredibly powerful...if you are a pro at using it. You don't need 99% of its features though. AA is much easier (though extremely powerful and feature rich) to pick up cold. I LOVE the spectral editing view and waveform editor. Those two things got me to switch from Logic Pro (which I purchased at retail) to AA CS6 (which I also purchased at retail). It was worth it for me.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire Dodin wrote:
Pro-tools comes with nothing and each plug-in is very expensive (a few hundred $). So the cost to do the same thing with both software is way higher with Pro-tools.

ProTools comes with a very usable set of plugins including 3 types of EQ, limiters, gates, compressors, etc.. the Massey plugins (limiter, EQ, compressor) are free unlimited demos.. Waves has frequent deals for RTAS plugins.. There is a current offering for the Q10 EQ for $9... Do a search for free RTAS plug ins and you will find a wealth of available stuff..

The cost of a new copy of Adobe Audition is more than the cost of Protools 8 with the audio interface, an Mbox mini 3 on Ebay these days
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bill Roberts
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adobe Audition…perfect for pounding out auditions when your racing to get out auditions as fast as you can so you don’t end up in audition position number 86! Pro-Tools…perfect for the booked session that can be interfaced with clients that are Source-Connected. The MP3 option takes some time if you feel like entering all the production information into the file, this step added to the file can also place a transparent watermark on the file. I have been using Audition and its predecessor Cool Edit since the mid 90’s, in fact prior to Cool edit, who has ever used “Fast Eddie” the fast editor?. My association with Pro-tools was incidental to the purchase of an mBox2 back in 2005, and I just sold that same mBox2 weeks ago. My decision on what tool will be used is based on the job requirements, how soon did the client need it yesterday?.

To make this long story short...if I were in your position I would take Captian54's advice, jump on eBay and snag an mBox mini with Pro-tools, learn to used it, I upgraded to Pro-tools 10 so I could upgrade my A/D interface to the RME BabyFace. Bells and whistles between the versions for what we do (VO) is really no big difference, but you will be able to sit down with Adobe once you are Pro-tools wise.

Put me down for 50/50, but if I had to pick one...Pro-tools!
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear with Neil, any DAW can be Source Connected with a client. I'm not saying you said only ProTools could do that...just don't want anyone to think ProTools is necessary for using Source Connect.
Bill Roberts
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

Exactly right, I would say that my statement does imply that fact. For me, I do like the session templates that make it easy with the few tracks that are pre set-up.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro Tools

Learn what you need to do, to do what you need. Then when you need to do something more, learn what you need to do that as well.

There's two huge benefits that I see using Pro Tools.

1. You'll never have to say, 'I can't do that'.

2. You'll never have to enter one of these discussions again because you'll already know the answer.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a musician before the move to full time VO dude, I have had an opportunity to try pretty much every DAW software platform that has been on the market, both Mac and PC, going back to the days of Windows 3.1 and MS-DOS, and when Macs were white/beige plastic.. Back then, software was primarily used for MIDI sequencing, and digital audio was not implemented until computers had enough juice to record natively.

After a while, you start to see that the differences in all the platforms are somewhat incidental. Sort of like the feeling when you rent a car. You sit down and get familiar with the dash at first and where all the controls are, but bottom line, you still put the key in and step on the brake and gas, and that never changes.

These types of polls are interesting in a sense, but it really comes down to what each individual artist's needs are. Now.. taking that one step further... What if your needs change? What if you need a more robust platform that has more capability a couple of years down the road as you take on different types of projects?

In my opinion, this is where ProTools shines..Its astonishing to me how aspects of the program I never ever thought I would use, at some point have come into play.. Twisted Wave, Sound Forge, Audition, Logic, Reaper, Soundtrack Pro, Sound Studio, Audacity, etc.. all have certain things they do better than ProTools.. But for a DAW that can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it now, and 5 yrs down the road, ProTools is the way to go.

The big headache with ProTools, again, IMHO, is its persnickety nature with system compatibility.. It does require some diligence in keeping your system up to only which AVID supports. And ProTools on a PC is another issue all together.

For a newbie, I would say find a used Mbox and a copy of Protools on Ebay for cheap.. Then try Sound Forge, Twisted Wave, Audacity, Audition and anything else your heart desires.. I believe all the aforementioned can be used on a free trial basis.. The Mbox will run with all of these programs.. The ProTools online tutorials are tricky because most are geared toward music production/vo production. If you can find someone who knows the program, pay them to sit with you for a couple of hours and get u up and running... Well worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or take a shortcut and get my Pro Tools for VO tutorials from VoiceoverXtra.com

I'd be a wealthier man if I insisted my clients use Pro Tools over TwistedWave, I am convinced of that! But I wouldn't be able to live with myself, either...

The Poll is neck and neck, I'll make it a tie and pick AA.
This might be the next topic banned from discussion, going the way of PC vs Mac.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if this was one of those topics. It is so subjective and personal that there is not an answer. It's kinda like asking, "Which mic is best for VO?" Well....not quite that subjective and personal, but certain things are more important to certain people than other things.

One thing to note (as a huge difference between AA and PT) is that PT is a FULL-FEATURED DAW, and AA is really a wave editor for production. AA wasn't designed to be a music production tool, but it IS designed to do what we VOs need it to do very well. I say, get the demo of each, mess around with both. (Note: You will need an iLok key for the PT demo...but you'll need it someday anyway, $50 at Guitar Center) Figure out which one feeds your creative side, and which one "gets out of your way" the most when you are using it. For me, AA, for others PT, for others neither. Just figure out what works for you and use it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: