VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moral Dilema of Sorts - your opinons requsted...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Moral Dilema of Sorts - your opinons requsted... Reply with quote

O.K., here is the skinny: I have worked with Company "A" for many years and have pulled a great deal of money and work from them over those years. Although, since they decided to 'outsoruce' their production I have not seen anything from them in seven months. We had a "Gentlemens Agreement" - nothing in writing, just based on my personal moral integrity - that I would not work for another company doing the same thing - however things have changed.

No work for seven months from them, the people I worked with have all left, they are outsourcing all audio and video production (it's a large account), and there is no-one I know there today.

Now the dilema: I have an offer to do work for Company "B" - which is a direct competitor (in fact, it was created by disgruntled employees from Company "A" who formed Company "B") to Company "A".

Should I take the gig?

I am planning on calling Company "A" in the morning, and letting them know that I am available if they still wish to use my services, but if they do not have any plans - I will move on and do work as I may.

What is your suggestion to resolve this dilema? How would you approach it?

Frank F
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I am planning on calling Company "A" in the morning, and letting them know that I am available if they still wish to use my services, but if they do not have any plans - I will move on and do work as I may.

Sounds like the solution to me. Tell them you're handy and move on.
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto -- abbo-lutely....

Frank, I appreciate your ethics...apparently they don't. 'Sounds like they're all too happy to keep you tied up in old promises.

Company "B" is really your old buds at Company "A"?....great!...then you're true to your original loyalties, never mind the name on the corporate window.

Dave C
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No work in 7 months?

I think that's ample reason to move on.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: You are doing the right thing, Frank. Reply with quote

You gave them a shot at keeping you, now follow your real loyalties to the people who hired you. They are probably too stupid to realize what they have missed out on and the old guys at the new company will appreciate you and keep you working.

Greg
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Moral Dilema of Sorts - your opinons requsted... Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
We had a "Gentlemens Agreement" - nothing in writing, just based on my personal moral integrity - that I would not work for another company doing the same thing -

Is there a sentence missing? If not you owe the company nothing as it appears you agreed not to work for a competitor and they agreed in return for nothing.

Does that sound harsh? Does no work in several months sound harsh especially when they are using your competitors? I'm guessing that they probably wouldn't notice. When did you get the phone call from them telling you that they were talking to other companies?
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there. As much as I admire your integrity, there really is no phone call needed.

There is, however, a possibility, that they will call you after the fact. But you'll deal with that when you get there. You have bills to pay and in the end, they haven't helped pay any in seven months.

-Anthony
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Banksey starts writing an advice column, I'm subscribing.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, in the business world, a gentleman’s agreement is only as good as the paper it is written on. In this case… no paper… no agreement. Besides that, it appears the other part of this handshake is no longer employed by company A. If this person is no longer employed by the client you were serving, the gentleman’s agreement is no longer bonding for either party.

Contact company A… clear up any misconceptions that exist… shake their hand, and move on. The survival of company A is not as important as the person you see in the mirror every morning.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough said? Nah... I'll chime in!

Frank, you're obviously a man of your word (duh, like we didn't already know that!), but any agreement that was made was broken the minute that they hired another talent (or not-so-talent in all likelihood) to do the work that you had previously shaken on. There's a pretty darn good chance that they don't even know your name or phone number, you're just "the guy on the training videos". Such is the game that is played in the world of corporate mergers, hostile take-overs, and dissolution of entities.

Company B... be prepared to have your world rocked by Frank Frederick Voice Overs!!!

Oh, but if you do decide to stick with company A... feel free to pass along my contact info to company B... I kid, I kid .... no really, my phone number is ... cool Rolls Eyes
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me the gentleman's agreement was with the people who worked at Company A... heck I wouldn't be surprised if when you do call "A" and tell them your name, they say "who?"

time to move on.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is the latest. Company "A" still has an Audio-Visual Dept. - of sorts. And it is now run by a long-time friend. But, of course, he does not answer his phone (can you say - Phone-tag?).

Company "B's" emergency, turns out to be a "fishing expedition" - at least at the moment. They will do something, it might take a few more days, but they will do something...

So my decision is to make contact with Company "A" and see where it leads.

Either way, many of the great folks on the VO-BB are going to benefit from this 'dilema'. I am going to give both companies names from this board presenting the great talents available here. (Thanks D.B. - the VO-BB is a great resource)

Both companies are always on the look out for great talent. (... it can't hurt. I am not making anything from Company 'A' at present; and I am stuck not being able to work with Company 'B' until I know what is going on with Company 'A').

My 'integrity' is such that I cannot make the acceptance of the offer until I know, for sure, one way or the other what Company 'A' is going to do.. But, since I know the inner-workings of both companies - the work must be done - and by great talent.

Thanks to all for your input - so far. All of you have supported my original thoughts and kept me on the right track. I will keep you updated - if necessary.

Frank F

Banksey: the call came in late December. Company 'A' changed it's policy in January. It has been a very large account when you take in the audio AND video side of their productions.

FF
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard call to make, Frank. But when you call Company A, call 'em collect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Company "A" has decided to be 'lean and mean'. The A/V staff is cut to a minimum, and they aren't doing much these days - hence no contact for seven months. They are likely to do some work come fall (maybe).

So, I have made my decision to WORK with Company B', rather than starve... (Can't you tell I'm starving - LOL). Besides, it's a good financial decision - real nice actually. And, each company is 'satisfied' (????).

My integrity came through unscathed - so far. Hey when it's all you got - you gotta keep it - right?

With that in mind I have reccommended several voices from the VO-BB. Company 'A' will be in touch - (don't hold your breath though...) in the fall. So good luck!

Frank F
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you Frank!

I hope company B brings you many more jobs than A ever did.

I feel this post needs a boogie-woogie bugle boy reference... don't you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: