VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I hate working on the weekend
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: I hate working on the weekend Reply with quote

But at least it's a desk job. AC is out @ home. Wink Anyone other non-full time VOers in the trenches?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in the trenches, but facing a stack of work.

I'm trying to decide if I want to do it before or after the "Seacoast Metal Fest" that Younger Bear and I are attending a bit later.

Should do it before I suspect-- so I can hear myself.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate working on the weekend Reply with quote

VoiceTom wrote:
AC is out @ home. Wink

Tom,

Wow! I can't imagine what it must be like trying to live with A/C right now, especially in Kentucky. I'd rather it be 20 below than this kind of heat and humidity without A/C.
(edit to add:)
Oh, and yeah, I have a week of radio programs to finish for one of my church clients, today; so I'm working too. But, in my nice, cool home office/studio.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Not in the trenches, but facing a stack of work.

I'm trying to decide if I want to do it before or after the "Seacoast Metal Fest" that Younger Bear and I are attending a bit later.

Should do it before I suspect-- so I can hear myself.

BEFORE!! Then you can really enjoy kicking back.

And BTW, I didn't say why the AC is out.

I tried to replace our downstairs thermostat with a new programmable digital model.

I can't get the ***** thing to work. As I was leaving for work I told my wife to enjoy. Can't wait to go back home tonight. Foot in Mouth Laugh
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoiceTom wrote:
And BTW, I didn't say why the AC is out.

I tried to replace our downstairs thermostat with a new programmable digital model.

I can't get the ***** thing to work. As I was leaving for work I told my wife to enjoy. Can't wait to go back home tonight. Foot in Mouth Laugh

Tom,

I think this is about the time I'd plan to call an electrician.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

I believe it's a wiring issue. The directions say to match the wiring on the old thermo to the new one.

I did. And of course it's not working... Go figure.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you press Control-Alt-Delete?

I keed-- I keed.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom,

I recently replaced my digital thermo with another one...thinking the old one wasn't working right. Turns out it was doing fine...but I found this out AFTER I had already installed the new thermo. I have a Trane multi-stage HVAC system and put a Honeywell digital thermo on it. Those directions can be a bit tricky, so you've gotta pay attention. There was only ONE diffence in the way this one wired up versus the old one. I had to move a metal jumper and make sure to put the wires in the right place for the multi-stage to work correctly. No problems and it works fine. I actually like it better than the Trane thermo that came with the system.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Allen! My new one's a Honeywell too. Thanks for the tips.
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer, our A/C went out for three weeks. I very nearly built a "poor man's AC unit"; an oscillating fan with copper tubing spiraled along the back, with the other end of the tube in a bucket of water. Bascially, a homemade swamp cooler. My wife didn't want an "ugly contraption" in the house, and the regular A/C was eventually replaced.

At that time, I was able to tell people "At least you're not in the Texas heat", but these days it's scorching everywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC is a MUST HAVE here in Texas. Although I've been up north most of July, I'm told it's punched 108 each day since the end of June. And that, "Oh, but it's dry heat..." argument is BS. Hot is hot.

Eh, Tommy...did it occur to you that once the new thermo weren't gonna work...to put the old one back on so as not to make the wife and kids suffer while you lament your boredom at the TV station?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:

Eh, Tommy...did it occur to you that once the new thermo weren't gonna work...to put the old one back on so as not to make the wife and kids suffer while you lament your boredom at the TV station?

Yes.

After I was at the station. Foot in Mouth

Just got back from dinner break. AC is restored.

I switched the red and the blue wires. Wink
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhouston67 wrote:
Last summer, our A/C went out for three weeks. I very nearly built a "poor man's AC unit"; an oscillating fan with copper tubing spiraled along the back, with the other end of the tube in a bucket of water. Bascially, a homemade swamp cooler. My wife didn't want an "ugly contraption" in the house, and the regular A/C was eventually replaced.

At that time, I was able to tell people "At least you're not in the Texas heat", but these days it's scorching everywhere.

I tell you, David, it's hard to ween yourself from AC. See, in Maine, the only thing most people have in their homes is heat. (Apparently, they have this thing called "winter" up here. I'll believe it when I see it...) No central AC or anything like that. They just open their windows. Ain't that something? I never knew you could actually OPEN those buggers! So anyway, Andrea went out and bought two small window units so we could remain cool during the heat wave (mid-90's) last week. Now that it's back down to 80 in the afternoon, we do that "open the window" thing. It's a nice change and I reckon might affect our electricity bill a little, too!

Have to admit I'm having terrible Whataburger withdrawals right now, though.

Greg
VO-BB Member #59
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
And that, "Oh, but it's dry heat..." argument is BS. Hot is hot.

Where you and I are, Drew, there's no such thing as a "dry" heat anyway. There's usually plenty of humidity to go along with it. Don't even get me started on living on the Gulf Coast...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Where I live, we don't have A/C either....we do the "open the windows" thing and it stays pleasantly cool in our house even in the 90's. Rarely do we even have to turn on the ceiling fan. I think we've used the ceiling fan 2 times for a total of about 3 hours. so far this summer. Of course I'm at 9,500 feet on the northern slope of Pike's Peak., but some places just don't need A/C. Natural air is so much better than Conditioned air anyway. I feel lucky. We DO have low humidity here though, unlike you. If it hits 20% here they think it's high. Laugh

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: