VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scour Your Spam Filter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveChristi
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Scour Your Spam Filter Reply with quote

Another of life's lessons came my way this morning when I groggily sat down at the computer and pulled up a "Parked Domain" page where my website once was.

Those bast… um (sorry Czar)… bad people. How could they let my domain expire without first sending me a barrage of e-mails warning me that davechristi.com was up for renewal?

I had a cup of coffee, called 24-hour customer support, paid for the next couple years, and then asked Denise (nicely) why I wouldn’t have been warned about this. She assured me that company policy is to send out e-mails several times before a domain name expires to give the registrant plenty of time to renew.

She then suggested I go through my spam filter. Sure enough, there, amidst the mortgage offers and “enlargement pill” e-mails, were a couple notices about my domain expiring - “better renew soon”. Also in my spam filter was a nice e-card for my birthday from a friend of mine and a “thinking of you” e-mail from my wife from a week ago (“no subject” must trigger the filter).

Who knows how many other nice things I’ve blindly deleted without reading?

Life Lesson #56,821: Scour Your Spam Filter
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasional, well-placed profanity is allowed.
Of course, clever, well-thought-out vocabulary choices are preferred since we are all brilliant people here at the VO-BB.

Punctuation in place of profanity is acceptable and so are the accepted net-ish "swears":
biatch
bastiges
fark, frack, freak

but even these are nearly instantly tiresome.

What are never allowed are ad hominem (and as I like to add ad feminem) attacks. What constitutes an "attack" is completely the juristdiction of me, The Board Czar, with the occasional assistance of The VO-BB Editorial Board.
DaveChristi
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Occasional, well-placed profanity is allowed.

Honestly, I prefer, in my writings, to purposely replace swearing with other things. I do enough swearing off-mic directed at insanely stupid copywriters and clients. What constitutes "insanely stupid" is completely the juristdiction of me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: