VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audible FTP Issues
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Audible FTP Issues Reply with quote

A question to you folks who post work to Audible's FTP. I finished a book project for a client and sent it to him via a commercial transfer service. No problem. For the past week he's been trying to upload via the FTP they've assigned him. No luck.

As he's in Australia I offered to use my Mozilla software to move the files.
Seemed simple enough. However, once in, the site keeps disconnecting within five to ten minutes. Hence, no upload. Even when I manage to get a few chapters in, the feed disconnects, and then the files I've uploaded have gone poof!

Only fitting that Audible's tech support people DON'T take phone calls...just emails. I've emailed 'em. But I'm wondering if any of you folks with more experience with ACX have had similar problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew, some months back there were terrible issues uploading via ACX, to the point that I finally gave up even auditioning for a while. But they got it straightened out and it's been seamless ever since.

The obvious first question here is: are you sure the files are 192k .mp3? Otherwise it won't work.

Oh, and I noticed you said your Mozilla software??
I don't use Mozilla anymore, but the ACX upload site works fine directly from Chrome or IE.

www.voicebyscott.com
Benjamin Stovall
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with ACX FTP, but I am with FTP in general.

If it turns out that the connection is being terminated server-side then you'll probably have to rely on support. What is the specific error your getting? Even better, what does your FTP LOG say? Sometimes the most direct clue is the error code (a three digit number like "430" which for the purpose of this example, means there is an incorrect username or password, you get the idea).

Here is a link to a table with FTP error codes and their meanings: FTP Error Codes

Here's a few things you can try:
    1. Enable your FTP client's "keep-alive" feature in the settings if it's not on.
    2. Enable "passive mode" if you haven't tried it.
    3. FTP clients are more robust than using "in-browser" FTP options. You should try another FTP client if one is failing, as I've had success with one over another in similar situations.

Filezilla is free, if you aren't already using it. It's available for Mac and PC.
CoreFTP is free as well, but for Windows only, as is Coffecup FreeFTP.
For Mac, there's the free Cyberduck aHobo Tounge.

"When you're nearing the end of your rope, tie a knot. Keep on hanging. Keep on remembering, that there ain't nobody bad like you." -- The Electrifying Mojo
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjamin,

I, too, use Filezilla for my 'normal' FTP clients and it's awesome. Fast and reliable.

ACX uses a web-based uploading system, not your normal FTP set up. You basically click on a link and upload your file.

www.voicebyscott.com
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Ben, I'll certainly check my settings. Scott I'm sending over the original .wav files. That may be the issue. I can convert the files to mp3. Not sure Audition 1.5 gives me an option to encode the bit rate beyond 128 in mono.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benjamin Stovall
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see, Scott. If they don't, they should offer a direct FTP connection for file transfers. The ability to resume transfers with no loss of data after a disconnect is worth the added effort alone.

"When you're nearing the end of your rope, tie a knot. Keep on hanging. Keep on remembering, that there ain't nobody bad like you." -- The Electrifying Mojo
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
Not sure Audition 1.5 gives me an option to encode the bit rate beyond 128 in mono.

If it's not one of the default choices, you should still be able to create a custom setting for it.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wav files (or more probably the file size) may well be the issue. I have noticed on occasion (with ACX) if I go over-long on an audition (supposedly a five minute max) the file will fail with no clear report as to why. Since they cleared up their previous problem, this is the only bad upload issue I've seen.
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt the .wav files are the issue.

If you don't want to mess with setting a custom setting in AA 1.5 (even though it's simple enough), Audacity has a 192k setting. Until I jumped from Cool Edit to AA CS 5.5, that's what I used.

www.voicebyscott.com
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I believe I can tinker with it to do the 192 bit rate...I've done it before a long time ago. I'll just tinker and see.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Audition 2.0 and it only goes to 128 so I doubt 1.5 would do 192.

It has been a while since I used LAME which is a free ware. L.A.M.E. is some kind of acrostic that stands for something like Lame ain't a MP3 Encoder... but it is! Laugh To incorporate mp3 into software, royalties must be paid to the patent holder of mp3. So they created a program that will create an mp3 compatible file, which it will tag with the mp3 extension. Since I haven't used it in several years. I don't know if it will do 192.

My memory is that maybe Audacity does mp3 files by calling LAME.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AA 1.5 and most early adopters of .mp3 are limited in mono to 128 kbps. Convert mono to stereo (acceptable in ACX) otherwise known as two track mono; then save as 192 kbps by selecting Options in the .mp3 dropdown box.

FF
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I routinely save mp3s as 192kbps mono in Cool Edit. I'd be (somewhat) surprised if Adobe eliminated this capability in Audition. The simple way to do it is to open a known 192 encoded mp3 and click "Save As." Then click the Options button. It should show up in the list as Custom (192 Kbps, 44100 Hz). At the top of that window there should be an Add button that would allow you to permanently add this type of file to your list of defaults.

Again, all of this works in Cool Edit 2000 and should also exist in AA 1.5 unless Adobe specifically dumped it for that version.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents. MUCH THANKS for all your help. I was able to convert them to 192 bit in the options box. That was the easy part. Still the issue remains. Audible's F*****TP keeps timing out.

I'm trying one last time on a computer that has Win7 and an updated edition of Fz. So far, I've managed to get 5 chapters uploaded to the sonofa...without incident.
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audible's FTP servers are not necessarily the same as ACX's. Two different companies, albeit under the same umbrella. Audible doesn't require the 192Kbps protocol that I know of.

I successfully uploaded to AUDIBLE's FTP site with no issues recently using FileZilla.

Seems everybody has network issues these days. I know that doesn't help much, Drew,

So the question becomes how badly they want it. If they want it now, but their servers are down, then how 'bout HighTail or any of about 20 other easy big-file upload solutions.

Dave Courvoisier
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: