VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

female talent/ male talent: anyone know the percentage?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
voice of vicki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: female talent/ male talent: anyone know the percentage? Reply with quote

This morning I was told by a prospective client that I didn't get the job because his partners decided they really wanted a male voice. (By the way, I am female.) It was said in the apologetic and cowering tone I can imitate so well by now, having heard it too frequently. It is by far my most bruising reason for rejection, maybe because there is nothing I can do to be better next time.

We work in an industry where men voice the truck commercials and women voice the cosmetics ads, I get it. I don't want to turn this into a debate on sexism in the workplace, just a chat to see what you think and know.

My first agent told me, about a decade ago, that 90% of VO jobs go to men.
Does anyone know an accurate percentage?
Is there a way to find out?

Oh FYI--the job I lost was narrating an educational video game about dinosaurs.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad Vicki. I've lost quite a few jobs to women over the years too. It goes both ways all the time.

I haven't seen a statistic on it, but judging from the agency talent rolls I've seen and what I hear on the air I'd say it's 55/45 at the most in favor of men and is probably much closer. Listen to national TV spots...a lot of women. Watch Lifetime or other networks and shows that cater to women. I'll bet it's 55/45 the other way. That "90% of VO jobs go to men" line may have been true in the 1950's, but certainly not for the past few decades.

Heck, I heard a woman VO on a TV ad for Boeing's military division the other day. The times, they have a'changed.

Bruce
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes clients like the sound of a guy not so much because he's a guy, but because they like his sound.
They don't know how to say "we liked this guy. . .um. . . just because." so they say "we wanted a guy" when they simply mean "we wanted THAT guy."

Don't worry about jobs "lost" to men. I read for nearly everything that doesn't have to interact with "a wife".

If I still don't land the job, I just drink more whiskey and smoke more to add that authoritative resonance to my voice.

fixed a dang typo

Last edited by Deirdre on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be a little contrary...
I have heard more male voices doing movie trailers, and more women doing TV/radio commercials. Most of the network voices also appear to be male dominanted... guess I can use that word. They only way you can satisfy your own curiosity is to watch 8-12 hours of TV/radio... and keep score. I haven't seen any results posted on the web... just lots of speculation and opinions.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very careful of what you decide to focus your energies on. As self-conscious artists (and sometimes insecure as well) we sometimes look to numbers to explain why we either haven't done so well in one area or for consolation when something doesn't go the way that we would've liked. In the end, by focusing on this men/women ratio and rejections based on same, you may just attract those scenarios more and more. It's mind taffy.

That's not too far off from me wanting to know what my booking/audition ratio is - it's counterproductive.

Best wishes and may you take full advantage of the jobs that are already yours that you don't even know about.

-Anthony
donrandall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I still don't land the job, I just drink more whiskey and smoke more to add that authoritative resonance to my voice.

I sure do hope you are kidding - don't do anything to change that magnificent voice!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donrandall wrote:
Quote:

I sure do hope you are kidding - don't do anything to change that magnificent voice!

Are you kidding?

How do you think I GOT this voice?
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have heard more male voices doing movie trailers

I've never heard a female voice on a movie trailer. Have any of you? Boy howdy I'd like to be IT Wink!

Vicki--FYI a friend of mine gave me a pair of socks that says "Boys Stink!" Would you like me to find out where she got them?!
P.S. I've not shown them to my S.O. (a boy...)

Edit: Just read this from quote from Danica Patrick, uber racecar driver:

Here's the upshot. Sponsors such as Honda, Peak Antifreeze, and Secret deodorant have stepped up and are using a sexy woman racecar driver as a unique marketing tool. Let's face it, guys don't sell antifreeze quite the same way I do.

and so many disappointed NASCAR fans!

Full article here:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/autoracing/article.jsp?content=20060727_165403_1308
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BettieWheelie wrote:

I've never heard a female voice on a movie trailer. Have any of you? Boy howdy I'd like to be IT Wink!

Gone in Sixty Seconds was voiced by a woman. Women are creeping into the trailer world slowly. From what I remember she had a similar sound to you Diane. Go get em! She is with Wintner Artists.

Maybe some more whiskey and cigs will help make the woofers rumble a little more.....no, no, no, on second thought don't mess with that great voice of yours.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
DaveChristi
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BettieWheelie wrote:

Diane,

You've got my vote. Let's hear your best "In a world..." or "If you only see one movie this year..." or "It's the white-knuckle thrill ride of the summer."
voice of vicki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of the Movie Trailer Guy's name, but I saw a video piece on him--limos and luxury and the whole pie. I think he is ripe for parady, all you rumblers out there-- make us laugh.

Diedre--I was going to reply that the one client I spoke of had a male voice locked in his mind, he had already cast the role as a male. When you said you audition for everything, I had a revelation! I will tell my agent from now on I want a shot at all the auditions, even the ones specified for males. My agent can tell clients that her Talents will accuse her of sexism if they are locked out of an audition.

I like it. Even if I sound laughable voicing a monster truck competition, I would enjoy the novelty.
I usually get cast as the voice of "Sensitive Subjects".

And Anthony, I truly appreciate your words on where to focus attention, but sometimes you have to identify the barrier in order to overcome it. I think that just happened!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voice of vicki wrote:

I like it. Even if I sound laughable voicing a monster truck competition, I would enjoy the novelty.
I usually get cast as the voice of "Sensitive Subjects".

Yeah-- those "very special topics". I like 'em--but I have much more fun doing a screamin' motorcycle ad now and then.
patfraley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most equitable genre in voice performance is without a doubt audiobooks. It is probably 40-50% female talent. Of the last 12 audiobooks I've was requested to produce, 11 were done by females. PF
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB wrote:
Quote:
drink more whiskey

For me, I don't know if it has effected the sound of my voice but after a few, it sure sounds better to me during play back... hick up
Laugh
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does red wine count for anything? Cuz a fine 2001 Cab during last night's cabaret (nyuck nyuck) had me sounding all Lauren Bacall-like this morning. Made that Community Calendar announcement much more interesting...!
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: