VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PRICE POINT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Can I Get an Amen! Reply with quote

Dennis O'Neill wrote:

What a great discussion. Hats off to all, but especially to Lisaloo for her wonderful 'speech' which, naturally, I shall copy / paste and take full credit for! But to sound flaky for a moment,

Until North America evolves to include voiceover as a 'necessity' you (we) are alone in this, in a way. That's where the union comes in. Some people love 'em, some hate 'em. The idea of a union being formed to stop evil, smelly, fat British men from forcing kids into the coal mines makes sense. The idea that you can't move a sandbag until the shop steward gives permission for his boys to get the job done, is ridiculous.

While it always felt apparent to me, having read Dennis' entire post, it is now abundantly clear to me that ANYONE with an apostrophe in their name is not only going to be extremely good looking but incredibly smart and insightful as well.

I agree with Mr. O'Neill's entire post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree.

Mary O'McKitrick
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you silly things...

Why do I always seem to kill threads??? I'm thinking of changing my name to "thread-killer oneill" without the apostrophe. (Been trying to lose that for years. It goes back to "son OF Neill". I didn't know 'him', so screw you absent great, great, great, great, bearded, pillaging, viking ancestor o' mine!)

Anyways, am I coming off as know-it-all, arrogant? I guess I can be, but I really don't mean to kill threads! Please don't feel to respond to this particular email, but keep this discussion going! And all the rest!

Feeling insecure :cry:
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - Thanks for the compliments guys.

(Or "PS - I love you" as Paul McCartney slams thru the stereo at this moment. I notice HE didn't have an apostrophe. What a loser. What's he ever done?)
BBeen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hell if all it takes to be good-looking is an apostrophe I have just officially changed my name to Bud O'Been
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O'Neill wrote:
PS - Thanks for the compliments guys.

(Or "PS - I love you" as Paul McCartney slams thru the stereo at this moment. I notice HE didn't have an apostrophe. What a loser. What's he ever done?)

True. He needed to go away when the rest of Beatles did.

I'm Polack. Puttin' an "O'" in front of my name is tantamount to putting a dress on a pig. Just makes for a well dressed pig.
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really encourage people (starting out, experienced, whatever) to learn about marketing, and work WITH companies to have them require your services. If you can find your own clients, you're off and running, and you're not held hostage to pricing, deadlines and conditions which are scewed by competition.

Dennis, your advice is spot on. I've had the most success establishing a relationship with the decision makers in the company. Make it easy and pleasant to work with you. Make it a JOY to work with you. Then when the client asks "What VO do you think we should use?", your name will be on the short list.

VO is a business, and like every business, it's all about relationships, about providing great service, about standing out from the competition. The people who hire from V123 for the most part don't get it.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
danlenard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Price Point Reply with quote

My oh my oh my.

I go away for 10 days and look what mess I created.

We only know each other from this digital community, yet we are brothers and sisters in this fun business. How to get paid more for what we do, from my conclusion of watching this thread unfold, is to be the best at what you do, marketing hard, practicing, getting feedback and believing in yourself. If it ain't happenin after all that, step back, look at what you've been doing. It has been my experience that immersing yourself in a new endeavor opens many other doors. You may not be getting voice work, but maybe you discovered you can write and edit. Maybe you discovered the new world of digital media and webpage design and you know you can do that. It is a whole new world out there that boggles my mind. We no longer have to rely on lour local studios and local cut throat ad agencies. Broadcast is on the way out. I saw it happening 15 years ago when I was programming sattelite stations. It didn't occur to me then that land based broadcast would be replaced by Megacast satellite delivery (XM/Sirius) and webcasting. There is 1000 times more opportunity out there than just 5 short years ago. It's you're job to exploit the opportunities the new medias present.

If you watch "The Apprentice," (Go Tana!) you'll see how important "Price point" is. Now with that said, each task the candidates take on are different and the price point (Value vs. volume) is different with each task. So it is with VO. (Boy, I could have saved us all valuable marketing time if I just would have said this a month ago.)

I have decided to stop the lowest bidder game. If they want K-mart they can have K-mart. The results of thier efforts will eventually put them out of business or they'll wise up and pay for quality. That's the law of the jungle. Adapt or be eaten.

As for us, never give up on your dreams, but have the brains to also have options.

It's what Tony Robbins calls "The Law of Requisite Variety." He with the most choices, wins. Look outside the box, :idea: find the unique opportunities and go for it. Then do it again. and again, and again......

Enjoy May!

Dan L.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: