VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need to figure out talk-back in my booth...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Need to figure out talk-back in my booth... Reply with quote

Right now, when my daughter gets a job, or does an audition, I start the recording and shut myself into the booth with her, so I can give her direction, etc. It would be very nice to run our home sessions more like studio sessions, where she's in the booth hearing direction through talk-back in her headphones.

But I have NO IDEA what that would entail. I'm sure I have to buy some sort of gear for this...? Right now my mic goes into an M-Audio Fasttrack goes into my Mac. What do I need to add to this chain?

And it probably doesn't need to be said that you need to speak in VERY SMALL WORDS. SLOWLY.

{sigh}

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have!

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I found this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BigKnob?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CJWhvKHe2LwCFQtgMgodtC8A0Q

Can I add this to my chain to talk to the booth? And how exactly does that work (do I use my computer's mic...)?

Also (and this is wishful thinking) -- any way this thing could ALSO help me re-route so I can provide playback during Skype phone patch sessions (two birds with one stone type of thing)? I know that's a longshot...

my website
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a mixer? You could easily add a mic send into the booth. It would be cheaper than the big knob too. And would allow you to do playback in Skype.

You might even be able to use the second input on the Fastrack with a super cheap mic with a switch on it.
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jason!

OK, so you're saying I might be able to accomplish the talk-back with my M-Audio FastTrack...? Where is the second input on the Fasttrack (...I have a plug opening on the front that has a guitar icon above it...)?

But maybe going the mixer route is the best option. Any recommendations on which one? I don't need it to do ANYTHING other than those two functions...

I would need a second mic, then, yes? For the talkback? Or does it use the built-in computer mic?

my website
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big knob might actually be a good bet. I'll take a look at it a bit more and get back with you. A mixer and another mic would end up getting into the same price range and would not (it seems) be as easy to use.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the big knob would work. It'd be super easy to set up, and you have dual headphone output plus monitors if you wanted them, so you wouldn't have to do anything to switch between your normal setup and the setup you want.

- Mic plugged into the Fasttrack
- Plug a 1/4" stereo splitter into the headphone output of the Fasttrack
- Plug the Left and Right 1/4" from the splitter into the Daw Mix input on the Big Knob
- Plug booth headphones into the Big Knob headphone output
- Depress Daw Input in the Input Sources
- Depress "To Studios/Phones" button to activate talkback mic. Press it again to mute the talkback while your daughter is recording so she can't hear outside noise.

You can monitor via monitors on the outside, or with the second headphone output. If you have speakers in the booth, she wouldn't need to listen to herself in headphones, and you could use one of the "Studio" outputs for those speakers.

Don't use the "Studio" outputs for your monitors outside of the booth because the talkback could cause feedback. Use the "Monitor" A for that output. That will not have the talkback in the mix.

This isn't the cheapest solution, but it is definitely a very easy one to set up. No extra software or having to do a bunch of re-routing and learning how to set up and use a mixer. The Big Knob is just a specialized mixer, made to do exactly what you want to do (plus adding more inputs and outputs). It would probably not be very useful for other things that you use a mixer for in VO, but it is much easier to set up.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, Jason, THANK YOU! That's exactly what I need: "Do this... then do this... then plug this into that..." etc.

So the Big Knob will work for talkback, but not for Skype playback, that's what you're saying, right?

my website
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be possible. Are you using a mac or PC?
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a Mac.

my website
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all ears on this one..... Ninja
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that you could actually use the 1/8" input on the back of the mac as a "second interface" and send one of the outputs from the Big Knob into that port. You'd also have to send use the headphone jack on the Mac to separate the input signal from the other signals (mix-minus) and send it directly into one of the other inputs on the Big Knob

Then in Skype, you would set the input of Skype as Built-In Input., and the output of Skype to Built-In Output. Then it would just be a matter of mixing the signals correctly with that Big Knob Smile I haven't had my hands on it, but it seems theoretically possible.
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oo, I almost understood that last part. :0)

I probably shouldn't even be worrying about playback until I can figure out how to control my computer from the booth. I was going to get a wireless keyboard and mouse and just look through the window to operate it, but then I downloaded an app that can supposedly control my computer from my ipad, which would be SWEET.

Now I just need to figure out how it works.

THANK YOU for all your help, Jason! I do think the Big Knob is exactly what i need, and if I can also figure out playback -- BONUS!

Laugh

my website
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Shoot me an email or call when you're setting stuff up if you need any help Smile
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might be over thinking this. Here is a potential $12 solution.

If your M-Audio has two microphone inputs, all you need to do is plug a microphone with a switch into the second mic input. You click the switch when you want your daughter to hear you. It will probably only come through one side of the headphones. Otherwise if the switch is not engaged, it won't interfere with anything or print on the recording in any way.

This is a link to a switch made by Hosa that can turn any XLR microphone into a talk back microphone

http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-MICROPHONE-OFF-SWITCH-XLR/dp/B000068O3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393041963&sr=8-1&keywords=XLR+mic+with+switch

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have misunderstood but it sounded like she has the Solo, so there was only one input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: