VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need to figure out talk-back in my booth...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a $12 solution would be sweet... but I see only one plug for a microphone on my FastTrack (a plug for the mic, a plug for the headphones, and a plug for a guitar, if I go by the little drawing that's above it...) (I like equipment that uses hieroglyphics for clarity...)

Thanks, though, JS!

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't noticed she did mention earlier about the single mic input, however she could easily get a mic that could plug into her guitar input. She may need to boost the signal to instrument levels, which is pretty cheap to do. Just remember to put the switch to "front".

I think that's the easiest thing to do. Since it's just for direction, she may not even need to boost the signal. It's hard to say

Something like this, with an XLR to 1/4" cable should do the trick.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PADBLOX10?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=accessory&utm_term=adwords_labelsAdapters&device=t&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CICXqb2j4LwCFY6RfgodCVgAJw

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't noticed she did mention earlier about the single mic input, however she could easily get a mic that could plug into her guitar input. She may need to boost the signal to instrument levels, which is pretty cheap to do. Just remember to put the switch to "front".
L
I think that's the easiest thing to do. Since it's just for direction, she may not even need to boost the signal. It's hard to say

Something like this, with an XLR to 1/4" cable should do the trick.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PADBLOX10?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=accessory&utm_term=adwords_labelsAdapters&device=t&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CICXqb2j4LwCFY6RfgodCVgAJw

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I just assumed you couldn't use both at the same time. Which fast track do you have? I would think JS is right if you can use both inputs simultaneously. You'd just need a mic with a 1/4" like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000095SAP

It has a switch built in. You'd just have to set up 2 tracks in the DAW and enable input monitoring on both. Then just turn the mic on to talk. You would need a headphone splitter or amp so you could talk to each other.

It wouldn't sound awesome, but it's not for recording so who cares Smile JS FTW on keeping it simple!
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veddy interesting...

I already have a headphone splitter, and we have two sets of headphones.

And I have this FastTrack:

So now we're thinking all I need is another mic (that can fit into that tiny guitar hole)...? Then do I just record as normal? And flip a switch on the mic when I want to talk?

It can't be that easy, can it? Shocked

my website
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I thought that interface was only one input and you had to switch between the instrument and mic. I was incorrect. That is two-input, meaning you can record both inputs at the same time. You don't HAVE to record both, but it is capable of it.

So, yes, you can just get either a dynamic mic that plugs into the instrument jack or a dynamic mic and an XLR to 1/4" transducer.

Here is the kicker. There isn't a preamp on that second input. So that you definitely can't use a condenser mic (or any mic that requires phantom power), and the mic might have a very low input signal. That jack is expecting a signal that has already been "preamplified" so it won't amplify the signal.

For recording, that would be a terrible setup. For just a talkback, it could work just fine.

If I remember correctly, BestBuy used to sell a Samson mic with a built in cable that had a 1/4" end that also had a switch built in. Maybe you could just pick one of those up, try it, and if it doesn't work just return it.
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's another possibly stupid question: I want to get an Apogee mic to go with my iPad as a travel rig. Can I use that mic as a talk-back mic?

my website
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking that question gave me an idea. You can do the talkback for FREE right now!

All you need to do is this:

1. Open your regular DAW and set it up as normal.

2. Open ANOTHER DAW (download Audacity or Studio One FREE) and set it up like this:
a. DAW Input - Built-In Microphone
b. DAW Output - Fast Track

3. Set up a track in your second DAW and arm the track to record. Then Enable Input Monitoring (if you use Studio One Free, you click the arm record button, and then there is a small button to the right that has a little speaker symbol. It will turn blue when it is enabled).

Now just go back to your other software and record as usual. Your built-in mic in your Mac is now a talkback mic. If you want to mute it, just disable the "Input Monitoring" on the second DAW.

What you have just done is turn your computer into a mixer with a built in talkback mic Smile No buying anything. I even tested it before posting. Works great.

This will also work with the Apogee MiC. You just set the Apogee MiC as the input of your second DAW instead of the built-in mic on the Mac. The bonus with the Apogee MiC (or other USB mic) is that most of them have a gain control, which means you could turn it on and off without having to go into a separate software program.

I'm glad you didn't spend $300 to make this work...since you could do it for free. Woohoo!
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/download/LineIn.zip
Download and install that.
Set input to built in microphone, output to Fastrack,click the button to turn mic on and off. Jason FTW, although I would have gone for a cheap kareoke mic into the guitar input just as well (which is very much preamped, btw) as JS suggested.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the karaoke mic would be a rockin' fix. It would give you a physical on/off switch.

I guess I need some schooling on the preamp. The specs on the interface say it only has one pre. Is there a gain circuit that is not considered a preamp, but still operates as one? I'm only asking so I don't misinform someone again.
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omigosh, you guys rock so hard -- THANK YOU!

I'm definitely trying this tomorrow! Laugh

my website
JJ Wright

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an even simpler solution. How about an intercom?

http://www.parentgiving.com/shop/chamberlain-indooroutdoor-intercom-5459/p/9463/?gclid=CKGxxdqNkb0CFYRQ7Aod_EoA-Q&kwid=productads-plaid%5E35621301159-sku%5E00008vCH@ADL4NTD2-adType%5EPLA-device%5Et-adid%5E42265832293

Mount or set one unit in the booth, and the other at work area outside the booth. When you want give direction, simply press to talk, mic inside the booth will pick it up and talent will hear in their headphones. Just make sure your talk button is not depressed when talent is reading script.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: