VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacBook Pro fan noise?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirmelja
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: MacBook Pro fan noise? Reply with quote

I know I'm going to end up going to George Whittam with this eventually/soon, but I just wanted to get any initial ideas. My 2011 MacBook Pro laptop (located on the other side of my room divider/moving blankets) with Twisted Wave, Apogee One, and Audio Technica AT4033 condenser mic combo works fine. Except for the damn fan noise! Or is it?

I have it controlled via smcfancontrol, and it's generally idling around 2000 rpm when I'm recording. The fan noise is really low, only noticeable to the ear when you're right up on it, but the mic is definitely picking it up and it's showing up on all my recordings! Grrr.

Now, I know the thing to do would be to move the laptop out of the room. Which would be complicated at this point. But, I'm actually just wandering if it really is the fan (is the mic actually THAT sensitive?) or is there maybe something up with my mic cables or mic itself? Part of why I'm even bringing this up is that the levels on my mic seem a bit low, averaging at -12 db when I'm speaking in a normal voice 6-10 inches from the mic. I have to keep the Apogee One turned up to 60 to get adequate levels, which means the overall background noise is also elevated.

Here's a sample of the baseline room tone: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4p7ez55j8bkefyt/Room%20Tone%20sample%20-%20Feb%2021%2C%202014.mp3
www.JamaicanVoiceOver.com
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MacBook Pro fan noise? Reply with quote

sirmelja wrote:

But, I'm actually just wandering if it really is the fan (is the mic actually THAT sensitive?) or is there maybe something up with my mic cables or mic itself?

Bummer!

Been there. Done that! I have a relatively new 4033 sitting in it's original box because it turned out to be a champion at picking up such noises.

Putting the computer in another room can have some expenses and be inconvenient. But just to satisfy your curiosity, borrow a cable or two if you have to, but find some way to move it out of the room long enough to do some test recordings. Then you will know that the machine and it's fan are indeed the (total?) cause of your problem.

(I downloaded your recording, listened and then put it under the microscope. I suspect your diagnosis that it is computer/fan noise is on target. And the main component of the noise being at 360 hertz ties in with a fan running maybe 2160 R.P.M. ? )

Noise Reduction removes the well-defined noise... BUT.... following each word it leaves this 1/3rd to 1/2 second fading tail. Discriminating buyers of audio work will spot that in a heart-beat.

You may have seen the thread I reactivated recently to get an update on some audio software for a Tablet. As of a couple of days ago, I am now experimenting with doing my reads into a Tablet, and then moving the audio into the big machine where the Industrial Strength audio software lives. Transferring files is a little big of a hassle, but so-far so-good.

The big change I made a number of months ago was to bench the 4033 and hang a mic that has a comfort level with me getting into it's face about 2 to 3 inches away. That alone picked up a 9 dB improvement in the noise level.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your fan is running because your CPU heatsinks are dirty. Spend $100 and have a Mac expert clean out the inside of the machine. You'll be amazed...
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: MacBook Pro fan noise? Reply with quote

sirmelja wrote:
I know I'm going to end up going to George Whittam with this eventually/soon,

Looks like you ended up with George sooner than you thought. Smile
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar woes with my older MacBook Pro which lives in my recording space. I found that keeping it under the table has helped reduce the noise some.

soundgun wrote:
Your fan is running because your CPU heatsinks are dirty. Spend $100 and have a Mac expert clean out the inside of the machine. You'll be amazed...

Ooooh! I may have to try that out! I've been reluctant to work with any single soundfile longer than 5 minutes for worry over the heat and fans. Especially when I bounce to disk (from Pro Tools), I can fry eggs on the CPU!

cheers,
Andrew Fogarasi
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make no mistake.
Computers are dust magnets.

Their very nature gives them an electrical charge that attracts dust and particles in the air. They depend on a heat sink to cool the CPU and usually a fan to cool the Heat Sink. When dust accumulates it can cover and insulate the heat sink (and it's associated "fins") making it much more difficult for moving air from the fan to carry away heat. But the poor fan's control system will continue to do its best. Even slipping into "High GEAR" and spinning at top speed...thus making a lot more noise in an effort to cool the all important CPU.

Cleaner Computer = Quieter Fan.
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knew?!! I think I'm going to try that as well. I went to a mac mini because of the fan noise and I love it but I'm going to see if I can spruce up my now ancients laptops and make em quieter. Thanks George!

Now what did I come in here for?
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use a vacuum cleaner. Static electricity can fry your CPU. Get a can of "dusting air," made especially for this purpose.
BTW, as I write this, I'm looking at the can of air I recently bought at Home Depot for just this purpose and thinking, "I'm such a dope." The reason is, about 25 feet away, where I'm building my new booth, sits my air compressor. It never occurred to me until this moment to use that to blow the dust out of my computer. Sick
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee - an air compressor can contain a LOT of moisture - i'd stick with the can.

dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of times a year I take my Dell desktop tower out to the back patio, open up its side panel and, after plugging in my leaf blower, let 'er rip. It takes but a minute to completely blow dust varmits away from nooks, crannies, fan, vent paths, etc. After checking for loose connections I button it back up and it's good to go once again.

Dave
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
air compressor can contain a LOT of moisture

I would definitely make use of the drain and blow out the moisture before using it on the computer.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwpthe3rd wrote:

A couple of times a year I take my Dell desktop tower out to the back patio, open up its side panel and, after plugging in my leaf blower, let 'er rip. It takes but a minute to completely blow dust varmits away from nooks, crannies, fan, vent paths, etc. After checking for loose connections I button it back up and it's good to go once again.

Dave

You must have bought the Cast Iron version of the PC. I wouldn't be comfortable asking all the dainty little pieces in my box to endure the windstorm.

Of course, part of that comes from a really bad incident in my life. I was System Administrator of a monster main-frame computer at a large car dealership. You cannot believe the flotsam, including mouse droppings, that will get into you terminals in an anutomobile shop. I took a particularly grizzly looking keyboard out in the shop one day and borrowed the air nozzle of one of the technicians. I put the keyboard on the floor, stood back and began removing with vigor all the flotsam, cracker crumbs, mouse droppings.... AND KEY CAPS! About half of them!

I made a note in my journal on the page entitled: "Things to never do again."

The tech wasn't too happy either. The customer brought the car back a couple of weeks later and complained that his "tranny" never had a QWERTY control pod before.
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:

You must have bought the Cast Iron version of the PC. I wouldn't be comfortable asking all the dainty little pieces in my box to endure the windstorm.

You are correct! Laugh 200+ mph wind coming from the business end of the blower is more than needed. I should qualify my action adding that I approach the computer slowly with the blower on so I can monitor what-when-how stuff is blown away.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(He he)

Leaf blower on the computer? Now why didn't I think of that? I also like to periodically beat my RAM firmly with a large hammer to make sure that it is in nice and tight. Laugh

As far as vacuum cleaners. I've use the brush attachment and also the little "get into tiny corners" connection many times with no problem. (it goes without saying all of these attachment are NOT metal) There are those who insist on having a wire attached to their wrist to even touch inside a computer (because of the fear of static charge). I've always simply made sure that I touch something metal before pulling the chip or touching the RAM. 99 times out of hundred you will be fine. But, of course, if YOU are that 1 out of a hundred that accidentally fries your CPU that's little consolation.

I would also agree that a free standing air compressor can have moisture problems. Any time you open up your computer there is the potential for problems. But, typically, if you are careful and use some common sense...it's not rocket science.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compressors can also spit out bits of oil. It may not be a problem, but, eww.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: