VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacBook Pro fan noise?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you oil them. Gasp
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. I record on a mid-2009 MacBook Pro that sits about two feet from my mic, and I almost never get fan noise. The only time I've ever had fan noise in a session was while recording two tracks simultaneously (my VO on one track, my client's direction/comments on the other) while using JACK to patch Reaper through to Skype. After discovering that problem, I reverted back to only recording a single track.

In addition to George's heat sink cleaning tip, make sure that your DAW is the only thing running while you record, and make sure that all closed apps are *really* closed. Simply clicking the red "close" button on an app's window doesn't necessarily shut it down. With most Mac applications, that only closes the app window, but leaves the app running. You can see this on the dock by looking for any app with a "light" beneath its icon. I always close apps by using the Command-Q keyboard combo, which fully closes them.

Another thing to check is that you have sufficient RAM to use for your DAW. If available RAM is tight, that could also make the fan run as the system tries to use virtual memory (i.e. hard drive swapping). As nice as the Mac can be, it still has issues with RAM not always being released completely by a closed app. Even with 8 GB of RAM, I use the Activity Monitor app (part of OS X) to occasionally check for RAM usage, and reboot frequently to make sure that I have as much free RAM as possible.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBarrett wrote:
I use the Activity Monitor app (part of OS X) to occasionally check for RAM usage

There's a great free widget (do newer macs even do the widget thing anymore?) called istat pro that gives a quick easy readout of CPU, Memory, Temperatures, Fans, and processes. I find it easier to interpret than activity monitor. Not sure whether it takes more or less resources to run, but it is very resource-light. I used to open it when recording and check fan speed whenever I suspected I heard some noise (and more often than not, the fans would indeed be whirring in overdrive and I would have to wait for them to calm down). Now that the computer hides under the table, I still pop it open whenever I am bouncing to disk and enjoy little anxiety attacks every time the CPU temperature approaches 100 Celsius. Fun!

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html

cheers,
Andrew Fogarasi
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is to move it completely out of the room. I did that with mine (I record on an old 2007 Macbook Pro): wireless keyboard, wireless trackpad, a $100 Dell monitor and long-ish DVI and USB cables. Works great and I never, ever hear the fan.
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the Kaotica Eyeball. It really works like a champ at several things

1. because of the way it directs sound into a side address microphone, it's like having 10% more gain (or being able to drop your gain by 10%)

2. It really eliminates transients and works quite well in acoustically treated or untreated rooms.

3. It does suppress some external noise from getting into your microphone.

4. It has the advantage of being fairly easy to pack and use when you're on the road.

http://kaoticaeyeball.com/

A number of folks have or can direct you to 25% off coupons.

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with JS on this one.

It's not without its own drawbacks.... It requires a few tweaks.

But it's great for isolating a mic in a less than perfect environment. Ninja
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. Macbook Pro (late 2008). I posted the problem [url]here http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?t=170243[/url] but haven't gotten anything definitive yet.
Anyone have success with the heat sink cleaning method?
sirmelja
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update: I've taken George Whittam's advice and cleaned out the heat sink. I actually haven't noticed much of a difference Meh

I also make sure nothing else is running while recording. I've even tried isolating the laptop in a sound buffered case, which only brought down the sound levels 3 or 4 db.

I'm beginning to think it's not a laptop issue at all. Maybe, as @vkuehn suggests, it's a mic problem instead? Also, (random thought) maybe the mic isn't getting enough phantom power from the battery powered laptop and that's why it's pickup volume is so low? But, I can't plug the laptop in because that causes a quite noticeable addition to the waveform.

If I had another VO artist nearby, I'd try substituting their mic instead of mine to see if it made any difference, but no such luck in Cork, Ireland.
www.JamaicanVoiceOver.com
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirmelja wrote:
I'm beginning to think it's not a laptop issue at all. Maybe, as @vkuehn suggests, it's a mic problem instead? Also, (random thought) maybe the mic isn't getting enough phantom power from the battery powered laptop and that's why it's pickup volume is so low? But, I can't plug the laptop in because that causes a quite noticeable addition to the waveform.

If I had another VO artist nearby, I'd try substituting their mic instead of mine to see if it made any difference, but no such luck in Cork, Ireland.

try a different mic but I can almost guarantee it's the laptop. This is an issue with Macbook Pros. Not just because MINE'S doing it but because there's no shortage of threads on this after a Google search.
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, Moosevoice and Sirmelja, have either of your machines had the OS upgraded, like from Snow Leopard to Lion or Mountain Lion (or, God forbid, Mavericks)?
sirmelja
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has, but this is not a new problem. It's always been there. It used to be a huge problem, back when I was using the MicPort Pro, but dropped to a niggling irritance once I switched to the Apogee One.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bransom wrote:
I'm curious, Moosevoice and Sirmelja, have either of your machines had the OS upgraded, like from Snow Leopard to Lion or Mountain Lion (or, God forbid, Mavericks)?

I'm at Mavericks. That's when I started noticing the fan noise. I've replaced my battery, opened case and dusted fan and everything but the heat sink and still have fan noise.
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose, I'd guess yours is just caused by newer, heavier OS requirements of Mavericks vs. whatever your machine originally had.

FWIW, my old Macbook Pro recording machine is still happily running Snow Leopard.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry the cleanout didn't make an obvious difference, Arlene. Not that it didn't need it, any older computer needs a cleanout. Maybe it's time to flip it on Ebay or Gazelle and get a later model. Macs hold theie value VERY well and you'd be surprised what it's still worth. You can buy a unit 2 years newer for a few hundred more than what you can sell it for. Just an idea...
Another idea if you don't like that one is to backup the machine, ERASE and RESTORE the OS to factory new. You'll be BLOWN AWAY how much quicker it will be (and probably quieter, too).
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sirmelja
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
ERASE and RESTORE the OS to factory new. You'll be BLOWN AWAY how much quicker it will be (and probably quieter, too).

Hmmm, that's definitely an option I hadn't considered, George. It'll certainly be easier than the hassle of trying to sell it and get a new one. Although I would love a MacBook Air Wink

I'll give it a try and see. Thanks! And to everyone else for all the great advice, as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: