VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Booth: build or buy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Booth: build or buy? Reply with quote

After quitting ye olde day jobbe back in 2012, we moved into a rental home out in the country. It's a manufactured home, and while I managed to make a usable recording space in the corner of one room, one of my biggest problems has been outside noise. Topping that list: wind. During certain times of the year, it gets pretty windy, and the wind humming against the house has prevented me from recording on more occasions than I care to count. Moving my gear to another part of the house isn't going to work for various reasons, and we're not in a position to move at this time. I really need a booth.

The question I'm facing is: do I build my own, or buy one pre-made?

I found a 4'x4' WhisperRoom for sale locally for $2800 (it's over $6K brand new), and began making plans to somehow scrape together the funds for it. Looking at the specs, though, I noticed that it weighs 1100 lbs fully assembled, so I checked with my landlord to see if that kind of weight would be a problem on our floors. He works in the construction biz, and after looking at the specs himself, he estimates that the materials could probably be acquired for about $1000. Add labor costs on top of that, and it would still be less than the used pre-made version.

While building my own would allow me to tailor it to my existing space, I don't wait it to be SO tailored that it only works in this space. If/when we move, it's coming with me, whether I buy or build. Buying one would allow me to solve the problem sooner, but building my own would allow me to save a considerable amount of $$$.

Any recommendations?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build, build, build. For $2,000 and a little time and thought you will get one that is fabby AND leaf blower proof.

If you buy a pre-fab booth you will be disappointed but like all VO people you'll pretend that you aren't.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IME a pre-fab booth can work fine AS LONG AS you treat it properly on the inside
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur... build it. It ain't rocket science. It's basically a large padded wooden box. The best designs for home-made that I've seen have made sure that it's constructed out of six separate pieces (top/bottom & four sides) that can be bolted together (and, more importantly, unbolted).

The most interesting thing about home-build is that you can make it much better. Just a little bit of engineering/construction savvy will make it possible to have non-parallel surfaces and good stuff like that (just a few degrees off will make a difference to the "boxy" nature of the, er, box). If you've got an interested contractor who's quoting custom build for the same price as a used 4x4... you'll end up with something much better. Personally I'd go for something nearer 6x4... but I guess that depends on your available space.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build... And as Bish said, build bigger. Material costs aren't that much more for a larger space, and you'll be much happier. Ditto the non-square advice.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't ever need to pull it down, build for sure. If yer gonna move in the next year or two, I'd buy. That way you don't need to build twice.

If you do build, just go for 8x6! You'll love the space. Hint: Use LED lighting so it doesn't get crazy hot in there!
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to consider is...RESALE.

Keep in mind that the prefab booth can more easily be re-sold. And if someone is asking $2,800 then I suspect you can do even better if you arrive with cash in hand. Then...if down the road you decided to sell it, you are only out the difference between what you paid...and its value at the time. (what that would be? IDK)

Speaking as someone who actually built their own modular booth many years ago. (When I moved my studio, I ended up giving it to some farmer who hauled it away on his pickup truck. I suspect it is still being used as someone's "outhouse" today) I can tell you that an important issue is ventilation. Does the prefab have a system that can cool it if needed? During the summer months, don't expect to be able to spend much time inside without it turning into a sweat box. (although typically, I would simply open the door and FAN my talent - very low tech air conditioning)

All things being equal, I think you can probably achieve better sound isolation with something you build yourself. Only, be prepared for the time and trouble it will take.

All these are things to consider.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule of thumb with any construction project is, whatever you estimate it will cost, it will cost more, and however long you think it will take you, it will take longer. I figured I'd be able to build a booth for less than $2000 but it's probably going to end up closer to $3000. I've probably spend $1000 at the lumber yard, but there are other supplies that you may have to get from specialty vendors. For example, two rolls of mass-loaded vinyl ($300), a high volume, low velocity fan ($125), neoprene spacers for under the floor ($5 each), acoustically isolated clips for hanging drywall ($2.50 each), Green Glue ($15 a tube), acoustical sealant ($10 a tube).

I'm not complaining about these things because I believe, for about the cost of that used Whisperroom, I'm going to end up with a much quieter (and, if I do say so myself, cooler) space. So I say go for it.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm with the "build" crowd. since you're renting take some extra time and build in a modular fashion. screws instead of nails, cleats on the outside corners - that sort of thing - something you can breakdown in 6 - 10 pieces when you move.

Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'm the only Boother in this crowd.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you need to build a full-fledged booth, especially if this is possibly a short-term measure. I'm wondering if you couldn't assemble something a bit bigger than a phone booth out of PVC, lined with super absorbent material on three sides and the top, with a short blankety thing down the open side (if needed). This may be all you need.

Maybe test this by building a simple PVC frame work and drape it with thickest blankets and quilts you can find. Much cheaper than the other options... if it works for you.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do ya'll find the time to build a booth?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the others, but I have no life. Gasp
(And it's taking me forever.)
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're patient and in no rush .. there are some real bargains to be found in used booths.. namely Craigslist.. a fraction of the cost of new..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
a high volume, low velocity fan ($125)

A rather ironic choice of phrase considering the use to which it's going to be put, no?

cheers,
Andrew Fogarasi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: