VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Booth: build or buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another member of the pre-fab club checking in.

I got a very good deal on the Whisperroom I use here.

One more plus - When it was time to re-carpet the second level of the house, where the studio is located, it only took about 20 minutes to disassemble and move the booth.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Davis wrote:
When it was time to re-carpet the second level of the house, where the studio is located, it only took about 20 minutes to disassemble and move the booth.

By contrast, when I removed the DIY booth from my studio, it took at least 3 men to carry each of the 4 larger sides. Gasp
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the awesome input. I'm leaning toward the build option for a few reasons, several of which were listed here, plus the booth I had initially found on CL is no longer available (the listing expired, and the poster never replied to my request for info). However, in a subsequent search, I found this place here in the DFW area:

http://www.ispsound.com

If you go to the "Drum Shields" page and scroll to the bottom, they have a couple photos of a vocal booth design. I've been in touch with the owners, who gave me a quote on the vocal booth. It's much more affordable than any other booth I've seen -- about 1/3 the cost of the used WhisperRoom I found on CL -- and they claim that it's studio quality (check the "Acoustic Panels" page for specs on their panels) and easily moved.

My big question, of course, is about its ability to reject outside sound. They say that it does, though didn't give (m)any details about how well it works in that regard. Unfortunately they don't have any existing vocal models that I can see in person, but offered to arrange a visit to an area church where they have one of the drum shield models installed. Not sure how well that will sell me on the vocal option, but I'm considering it. They also do on-site consultations, part of the cost of which can be deducted from the booth price if purchased.

From what you can see, is it worth considering these folks and their vocal booth? As much as I like the option of building my own, this really meets me where I am: in need of an immediate solution that's very affordable and (allegedly) high quality.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out what magical material that's only 1.5 inches thick is going to keep out all the external noise. The walls in my booth are going to be nine inches thick and I'm still concerned if that's sufficient.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
How do ya'll find the time to build a booth?

I have "people".
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late evenings on the weekends Smile Mine took about a couple months to build. An hour here, and hour there. I screwed everything together so there wasn't too much noise after I got everything cut. Definitely get a chop saw if you don't already have one. It'll make things a lot easier.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having assembled and dis-assembled my Whisper Room several times I can tell you that it's made from VERY DENSE material. I think it's some kind of composite material but the components are very heavy and dense. Definitely not your ordinary lumber. But it does an excellent job of isolating outside noise. In 5 years have never had an issue, and have always lived on fairly busy residential streets.

Any plans that aren't specific about the density of materials used or the noise reduction specs I would be very wary of.
Timothy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the same process when I was preparing to build my studio. After studying the drawings on dawbox.com (I didn't buy the plans..shhhhhh) I consulted with a contractor and had a 4'x7'x7' double walled (with insulation between) with a floor and roof and a small window(floor is just single wall) constructed for a cost of $600.00 (material and labor). I found bargains on acoustic foam and carpet to treat the box for around $250.00. I'm very pleased with the result. The design of the studio is such that it is built in components and assembled with screws so it can be disassembled and moved if needed. Each component requires only 2 persons to carry.

It's not soundproof, but with the college one hundred yards away, demolishing one of it's old dormitories this summer, and subsequent construction of a new building, I had NO noise issues.

That being said. I would love to have a whisper room but I just couldn't justify the cost.
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob/Lee: I am similarly curious how their material is so awesome, but they do have specs on their site. I mentioned how to find them above. In case you didn't check them out yet, here's a direct link to the page:

https://www.innovativesoundproducts.com/Acoustic_Panels_QQYV.html

Look in the right column. Assuming those numbers can be trusted, it's actually on par with the Auralex figures I found, and even better than Auralex in the low frequencies.

I think I will try to check out the drum version just to see (and hear) for myself what their products do.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Auralux or other foam panels are not designed to attenuate LOW frequencies. Also they are less effective when placed AGAINST a wall or ceiling. Proper placement is REQUIRED to meet the frequencies suggested in their advertising.

Yes this information is available in their instructions, but you need to read carefully. Place the (foam) panels 1.5 to 2" away from hard surfaces for best results.

FFII or F2
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is clearly a hot topic right now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIP7mzEw3L0
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, guys...we're talking about two separate things here. Auralex and the various foams, 703/705/recycled denim..aren't really designed to block sound to any extent (maybe a teeny-tiny bit), but rather as absorbers for the sound we're creating. The DAQW double-walled box would certainly do some blocking...but was there a way to get any ventilation in there near-silently, or even not-silently. An airtight recording booth is like a coffin with a microphone inside. Or at the very least, a sweatbox.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, Auralex and OC 703 etc. are for sound dampening and absorption, not for keeping out unwanted noise.

BTW I should mention that my WR is the double walled, which is supposed to isolate better than the standard single wall.
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a similar point, Rob, in one of my messages to the folks making these other panels and booths. First, here is what I was told regarding the general design/construction of their vocal booth:

Quote:
Our vocal booth comes standard with 1-24"x66"x.25" clear acrylic (Plexiglas) section for visibility, 6-24"x66"x1.5" fabric covered wall sections filled with sound deadening Den-A-Sorb cotton fiber blend and a 2-section 1" thick ceiling that contours the "multigon" shape of the booth.

When I asked about their booth's ability to prevent outside sound from coming in, the rep said:

Quote:
The booths are made to control the inside quality and while doing that they also cut the outside noise out also. Besides the pressed board that we use on the walls, there is also a 1/8" layer of sound blocking closed cell foam inside of each wall section that helps block sound. When it's blocked from the inside it's also blocked on the outside.

Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Whisper Room people you are talking to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: