VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Booth: build or buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where to find the thick fabric that covers the inside and outside of a Whisper Room?

Here's my dilemna.. I ended up scoring a used 2.5 x 3.5 whisper room ( smallest one made).. almost new condition and way way below the $1500 asking price. too difficult to pass up.. I made my measurements and it looked like it would clear my ceiling, but alas, turns out the top and bottom had to be left off.. I now have a 1" gap at the top under the ceiling of my room, and no floor or ceiling of the booth attached

My thought was to purchase 3/4" medium density fiberboard (material used in whisperooms) and slide it on top.. this gives me enough ceiling clearance.. I'd have to cut it to size, cover it, and apply the straps to strap it down. I was also thinking of doubling it up from the inside with another piece of 3/4" MDF..and then hanging a roxul 60 1x1" cloud

as for the floor, Im less concerned, cause its concrete, but I could as well drop a cut to size 1" piece of covered MDF..

its a bit of pain duplicating the ceiling and floor I had to leave off, but I believe I can get it pretty close to the original..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bob Stevens
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for speaker box / trunk liner fabric.

Like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/280675045196?lpid=82

Bob
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Bob, Bob. thats perfect. outstanding . thanks so much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of MDF for those top and bottom pieces, I'd be tempted to go with Homasote, at least for the bottom.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with the floor. Since the stock ceiling is 3/4" MDF, how would making another ceiling out if 3/4" MDF help? Head scratcher. Unless you countersunk it down within the walls...
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the piece on the left is the floor. the piece on the right is the ceiling. with the white piece attached to it, fitting snug into the ceiling of the booth when the top is attached. i wanted to replicate that with another piece of MDF

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ld29zuu7a45yes/Photo%20Mar%2008%2C%2012%2043%2007%20AM.jpg
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob: Those comments I quoted were from the rep from Innovative Sound Products, the local folks who create various acoustic treatment products featuring their custom Den-a-Sorb material, including this other vocal booth design that I'm considering.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you ask for Homosote you get some funny looks. I figured out you ask for 440, or 440 Sound Barrier
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: So I managed to install the new booth in the basement space. The ceiling and floor of the booth had to be left off in order for it to fit.. I ended up using 1/2" Homasote (440 Sound Board), wrapping it in fabric, then jamming it in over the top of the booth to cover the booth..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/snml6pyk3ch2erj/-3ga2lLrvm

Then I cut another piece of 1/2" Homasote to the interior dimensions of the new ceiling, wrapped it in fabric, and from inside the booth inserted it under the ceiling of the booth, attaching it with xtra strength construction glue

Now I have two layers of 1/2" Homasote as the ceiling of my booth. No floor of the booth, other than a thick area rug placed over concrete...since I lost the flourescent light with the stock ceiling not being installed, I managed to find small LED light strips that velcro the walls to provide some illumination.. I believe Homasote/440 SoundBaard is much more effective than the stock MDF that is used for the walls of the WhisperRoom.. (thanks to Lee Gordan for that suggestion)..while its easy to cut.. it does NOT take a screw or a staple well..

I've yet to make the 2" Rockwool 60 panels. when I do, they will replace the stock acoustic foam. I'm doing two 2x4 panels and one 2x2 panel for the walls, and a 1x1 cloud panel for the ceiling, in addition to a 1x1 panel under the window on the door..

the new double layered ceiling works great.. HVAC unit 2O feet away and humidifier in the same room running? not a problem. this booth is SMALL though.. we'll see... can't beat if for the price I paid.. $1200 for the booth and another $300 in materials and transport to move the thing, and to construct a ceiling and interior panels..

All I have to do now is decide whether to go IPad in the booth to read scripts and use the TW remote APP to start and stop TW, or install a small USB monitor as others have done, and run the sessions from inside the booth. I thought of retractable monitor and keyboard/mouse trays attached to the walls, to move out of the way for space.. but.. need to do more research to make that happen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: