VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Host Mode for Droid and iPhone question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: USB Host Mode for Droid and iPhone question Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with using their Android phone, specifically an HTC Incredible LTE, in USB Host mode? I even called HTC directly and the rep there was unsure if it did. I know that some Android devices will act as a USB Host with the proper OTG cable. I've tried with this phone and an M-Audio Fast Track I had laying around, with an OTG cable that also powered the Fast Track and linked with the phone via Micro USB. No go. Also a couple of diagnostic apps from the Play Store gave different results. One said the phone would support USB Host mode and the other said it wouldn't. Perhaps there's a software patch of some type that will enable it? I thought anything after Android version 3.0 would work in host mode but maybe the phone's architecture won't allow it with this particular HTC model.

Also, are all (or just certain) iPhones capable of USB Host mode? Would the connector type matter? Lightning vs. 30 Pin?

I'm hoping the current Android HTC I have now can be used in tandem with gear like the new Centrance MixerFace, as well as other devices.

Thanks for any suggestions.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lonely endeavor you and I have chosen to pursue! I selected the Samsung Galaxy TAB 3 8-inch as a platform to do recording a-la-Android. I have been whipping up on the Internet pretty bad, and bouncing from one electronics store to another trying to find a wise and savvy sales associate. I've been teaching several of them a new trick... but none of them are returning the favor, so far.

My question at this point: Is the wiring that causes an OTG cable to be and OTG cable the same for all devices? I have a Samsung OTG device, but it was, according to the packaging, really designed for a cell-phone model. It is working for the TAB 3, but I wonder if it is really working... or just limping!

I tried creating an OTG cable from some old USB cables around the house based on one of these YouTube do-it-yourself instructional videos. It was a disaster! So now when I get a slow day, I'm going to take the thing apart and see if I wired it wrong.... or when I wrapped tape around the solder connections, did something poke through the tape and short out or what. OR... and this is the big question: Does each manufacturer implement the triggering mechanism differently. Are OTG cables truly fungible... will the Samsung device I bought that works so well on my Samsung work if we plug it into your HTC device?

Curious minds have to know!
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't it the truth.

The way (at least I think I do) understand the OTG connectors is that the pin, or contact, configuration is such that it will allow the phone or tablet to act as the USB Master and not USB Slave mode or charging mode. Whether that configuration is common to all devices is something that seems to have conflicting answers. As I mentioned in the original post, even the HTC rep couldn't say for sure and neither could Verizon. (I got the same kind of "glazed over, deer in the headlights" response that I've gotten in the past when ordering ISDN)

Do the current iPhones support it? Definitely considering a switch from Android, especially since Chrome for Android still will not allow for a microphone selection, although I believe that will be addressed in the future.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I have offered, both publicly and privately, to help anyone who wishes to follow this path. I've done it. I use it. And I've made most of the mistakes along the way.

Firstly, pure Android has supported usb host mode since Gingerbread. However, each manufacturer generally insists upon tweaking each release of Android for their own purposes. Some (Samsung, HTC) add their own user interface on top of the OS. Some add or remove functionality (camera software, voice control, etc... Samsung even DISABLED otg on some Jellybean and Ice Cream Sandwich devices.) Additionally, carriers further add their own tweaks.

The end result is this.... Not all Android devices will work with this. It's not Google's fault. Some devices won't work at all. Some don't have enough voltage at the usb port, and require a powered usb hub to support the interface, or provide phantom power.

Some interfaces are not compatible. Generally, class compliant interfaces are preferred, as they are universally recognized by the OS. However, even some class compliant interfaces have issues, and may only work at specific bit rates and resolutions. Again, it's not Google's fault, just a question of compatibility.

As for the otg cable.... It's a special beast. Otg cables have an additional connection that allows host/slave communication between devices. A standard usb cable will not work. You're not likely to find otg cables at best buy or radio shack, or anywhere else retail. Your best source is either amazon or ebay.

Davy Wentzler of Xstream Software wrote the drivers that allow usb host mode to access the audio interface. Those drivers are what make Android recording possible. His apps, USB Audio Recorder Pro and Audio Evolution, are presently the only Android apps that do this. His site, and the accompanying documentation, can provide a wealth of information to help you along.

A number of us have tried it, and a handful of us use it, including George Whittam, Courvo, Cliff Zellman (who has been known to do full commercial production with it), Tom Dheere, and others. I use it on the road on a regular basis. (I travel a lot.)

If you want to try it, I can help. Feel free to PM or email me. The apps and the cables are cheap. The quality is as good as as the mic and interface you choose.

Let me know if I can be of help.
Ninja
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true - the guys at radio shack & best buy have no clue as to OTG cable --- at least mine didn't. i have bought $2 cables - and i have bought $10 cables - they both worked.

on the go cable - OTG

as don said, different from usb.

make sure to plug the cable in on both sides BEFORE turning on the app

skip to 3:40

ta-daa

NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys.

I did acquire OTG connectors from an online source a while back and tried different configs using the trial version of USB Audio Pro with a powered device but with no luck. Todd, thanks for that link. I must have overlooked that one. Heyguido, check your pm.

Thanks much
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northendvoice, if that is indeed your real name, since i happen to have a droid htc incredible II, i took a shot at your specs.

the results are here

heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez.... Some people must have nothing to do today. Rolls Eyes

Me, I'm in an airport, rumpling my sport coat while waiting for a connection to another bloody geekfest. At least there will be margaritas. Wink

Nice job, Todd. You managed to produce a proof of concept video using his device before I could finish writing up a tutorial. Embarrassed

Well done, Obi-Wan. Inoccent
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd

Thanks for the video post but I've tried that very thing with the OTG cable, USB Audio Recorder Pro app and Mic Port Pro (also tried the Shure X2U) and no go. Other devices as well.

My phone is the LTE version of the Incredible and not the 2 version. Don't know how much is different with the two models but my version doesn't recognize the USB device.

Did you use a split to power the Mic Port Pro or just use the phone's power?

I tried both ways and the device wasn't recognized. With the OTG cable
directly into the phone from the Mic Port Pro, it wouldn't power up. It did power up with the split but the phone didn't see it. The Mic Port Pro is, I believe, a class compliant device so chances are that the phone should see it if indeed my particular model is USB Host capable.

Now I'm on a mission......

Last edited by NorthEndVoice on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably took less time making the simple video than writing down all the steps. i'm just killing time waiting for my real career to kick in - selling curb-finds on craigslist.

todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man - beats me. i didn't do anything you didn't see in the video - i didn't even buy the app - so my guess it it's the older phone, other than that - i don't know.

i do use the exact same configuration on my nexus 10 & nexus 7 tablets and it works plug & play as well.

heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les....

Here's a good place to start....

http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

According to Davy's documentation, your phone is NOT on the supported list, which would seem to indicate your phone does not support USB Host Mode.

It is possible that you may be able to enable Host Mode. It may require rooting the phone in order to do so.

Here's a free app that may be able to help you determine if it's possible....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tauruslabs.usbhostcheck&hl=en

I'll do some more research on your phone. I'll let you know what I find out.
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links. I did run across them when I was checking on USB capability for the phone. Rooting might be the answer for this one but I believe I'll replace it instead. I have a two phone plan and can replace one with a device that'll work as a host. I'm grandfathered into the Verizon Unlimited Plan and have to be careful about modifying the plan so I don't lose it.

Very much appreciate the input and help.

(by the way...I meant Mexican Martini instead of Margarita in the pm!)

Thanks Don

Les
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're replacing, consider a larger form-factor, as the larger screen size makes it easier to use. If you're partial to HTC Sense, the One and OneX appear to be on the compatibility list.

You might also consider a used tablet. My moto xoom works well with both apps, and doesn't require a powered hub. Battery life, even with phantom power enabled, is excellent. And you can pick one up for $100-150 used. The Nexus tablets are great choices, too, and the 7" versions can be had relatively cheap.

Keep me posted if I can be of help.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the nexus 7. i bought the nexus 10 & found it too heavy for my application (dslr monitor) and so got the 7 (works great). i use the 10 to read the newspaper around the house, in business meetings & for xbmc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: