VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Mac OS X Mavericks experience end of Day 1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: My Mac OS X Mavericks experience end of Day 1 Reply with quote

I installed Mavericks on a fresh partition of my SSD, keeping Mountain Lion intact until I feel safe blowing it away. I've cloned both partitions to another drive with Carbon Copy Cloner.

FAILS:
iWork 09 doesn't work anymore...
That means you have to buy the latest iWork, and they revamped the software, and the reviews of the new version mostly suck... I tried to buy it and Apple says "Update Unavailable with This Apple ID"
This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled.

I use Keynote all the time, so I am not too happy about this. Price ?

We have to buy VMWare Fusion 6 to use my Windows 7 virtual machine (needed for Windows audio training). $60

Permissions issues (found a fix, I hope) http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20121641-263/file-group-permissions-constantly-displaying-fetching..-in-os-x/

Studio ONE still won't take an audio input (have message on the Presonus Forums about it)

Can't change resolution of display from the Menu bar anymore, so I installed a tiny app called "Display Menu". I have to do this a lot for screen capture and GTW purposes

WINS:

Pro Tools 10.3.4 Express DOES work once you install the latest Mbox Mini driver (phew!!), even though it's not technically supported. (Source-Nexus is NOT compatible with 10.3.4 and earlier, though).

Adobe Audition CC installed and runs and Creative Cloud hasn't told me that I can't register the software

ScreenFlow and TwistedWave seem happy, so far

WireCast works so far

Crashplan was able to inherit the backup from the other System so I don't need to upload over 2TB of data again

SoundFlower still works (1.6.6b)

Menu bars on BOTH SCREENS rocks (if you have dual screens)

Tabbed Finder Windows (what took so long?)
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great update. I've been watching.

I know that PT10 has some known issues with Mavericks. Not supported by Avid. I'll have to check the DUC again to see if there's anything new.

Maybe try it on the Macbook/mobile setup before I attempt anything on the studio Mac.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, not supporting iwork 09 sucks. my issue is - over time - i've noticed i'm running a little bit slower on mavericks - not sure what that's about. i DO love the menu bars on both screens!

i don't run all the techie stuff george does - motu 896hd fired right up, everything CS6 worked - except i had to run an adobe patch for after effects.

Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you upgrade your old version of iWork free? If I recall, you can download the trial of iWork and then upgrade it free to the full version...that is...IF you actually own it. I am not condoning using that method for theft of the software...just getting the software you own to work on Mavericks.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is no "upgrade path" into the Apple App Store from older software.
I hate the Apple App store system. On the phone with Apple trying to figure out why I can't buy Keynote. I want iWork '09, but it won't run on Mavericks. At least I can use the iCloud version of Keynote in the meantime. I guess I'll keep the Mountain Lion boot partition for a while. Everything else seems OK so far.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's always open office.

heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally, I beat myself up about the fact that I abandoned the Mac world and got my MCSE.... And became a Windows geek. It's a flawed world, I'll admit.... But it works for me.

Today, reading this, not beating myself up quite so much.

(not trying to start a flame war here, or a fanboy debate) Inoccent

Just amused to see we ALL have our frustrations and challenges with our OS of choice.

And don't get me started on Android, Linux, and Chrome.... Where I'm spending more and more time these days.... Rolls Eyes

I feel your pain. Inoccent
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a way to do the upgrade. You have to google for the "workaround" but it's out there.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 5:
Haven't resolved the App store issue dis-allowing me to purchase iWork apps. Don't know what to do about VMware situation yet, I installed VMWare 6 but it won't let me import my VMware 4 version Windows 7 disk, so another support call is in my future.

Other than that, so far it's been rock solid. I am producing EWABS on Mavericks tonight. If that goes well, I can feel very confident in recommending it to others who are chomping at the bit to upgrade.

Keep in mind: I started with a FRESH INSTALL, I did NOT upgrade OR migrate my old user accounts. This is a best-case scenario.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: