VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chromebox or chromebook?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Chromebox or chromebook? Reply with quote

Hei!

Anybody looked into Chromebox or Chromebook for recording audio?

Chromebox is suppose to be silent as well as cheap!

In theory it could run Twisted Wave online.

Thoughts?

Mac

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thoughts?

Probably not. Among the issues that immediately come to mind....

Drivers (what kind of interface would you be using?), no local storage, latency if working with TW online....

Chrome, whether on box or book, is a browser based, web based environment. Most of the things we do for our craft, from recording to processing to editing, happen locally, and are manipulated locally. There's no local in Chrome.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becareful. All Google all the time. I'm no fan of Google which is one of several companies trying to take over our lives. That's my two penneys.

greg@gregorybest.com
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to fear, Greg...

I own 3 Android phones, 3 Android tablets, a Chromebook.... And I regularly see a handful of loaners for testing and evaluation. I work with a number of Android developers, and actively participate in the developer community. I also own an iPad, and 3 Windows laptops and a Win7 desktop.

Sharing my data with Google makes my apps work better, and helps Google anticipate my needs. Google tells me when my flights are delayed, routes my commute around traffic problems, and helps manage my inbox better than I ever could on my own.

Fanboy? Hardly. I run a number of operating systems. I've worked with iOS developers, I hold an MCSE certificate, and I play in the Android developer community.

Nothing I've seen so far makes me afraid of what Google knows about what I do in their environment. Do I get targeted search results based upon my inquiries? Yep. Do I get better responses to my search queries? That, too. Have they scared me? Not yet.

Am I happier with what I get from them because they know more about me? Absolutely.

Am I a fool? Perhaps.... But I doubt it. Ninja
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don we're dumping our andriods in August when the contract is up. There is much to fear. Hate the tracking, pushed ads, invasion of privacy.... looking at either returning to BlackBerry or the new blackphone that uses encryption. I don't want businesses accessing my data or apps accessing my contacts etc. I work for a gov't agency as an investigator and have contacts who do not want me to share their info. They haven't hacked my hard copy list yet. Smile

Call me paranoid if you choose, but I think the younger folks are too trusting of the technology. It is quite intrusive. (Working for the gov't I know what the capapbilities are) I still like doing my legal reseach in a law library and reading real paper books. No e-readers in our home. We still have the newspaper delivered. Having lived through the cold war, the Vietnam war, Watergate, etc., it gives one a different perspective. I do not store my data on the cloud either. Why are we so trusting we hand it to someone else no questions asked? Look how easy it was to hack credit card data for millions.

Thats my opinion. YMMV. Carry on!

greg@gregorybest.com

Last edited by Gregory Best on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn droid duplicates messages too.

greg@gregorybest.com
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Greg and Ronald Reagan - "Trust, but verify!" And, I cannot verify Google, the cloud, etc., is safe, secure, and a good thing.

Discussing Android (Google) reminds me of the ad a few years ago for Visa, where people would just swipe their card in the automat (robotized lunchroom - explanation is for the younger generation who probably do not understand the term). People who paid with cash were supposedly holding up the line at the inconvenience of the card swipers. The ad sold convenience, but the reality was and IS, it sold identity theft.

Sorry not for me - no google, no credit card (I use cash - cash really does have clout - except when they will not accept cash at the Dr.'s office), no cloud for my private data, no, nada. Sell the convenience somewhere else! And Yes, I still use pencils and paper. I do not need batteries or an internet connection to make them work.

I forgot to add, Chromebook or box... neither. Get a real computer laptop. Apple or PC. These days a good PC can be had for less money than you would believe possible.

Frank F
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Thanks gents! Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

Not a fan of the ads or invasion. Getting ads in Finnish on BlueTube!

Don't think drivers would be an issue if one is using TW online to edit. No latency problems since I record without the cans on.

Just wondered if the box or book would be helpful for recording since it is silent and cheap.

Thanks again for your comments.

Mac

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are reports on Google that some USB audio devices will work on a Chromebook. I venture to guess that anything "class compliant" should work. But, just like it's iOS brethren, it's a crippled "real computer", so keep that in mind. If you want silent operation, it's a decent recording device, plus ability to connect to IPDTL/SC Now users.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: