VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Focusrite 2i2 with Pro Tools?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Focusrite 2i2 with Pro Tools? Reply with quote

After nearly 7 years of faithful service, the hard drive in my Macbook Pro finally gave up the ghost. I've replaced it, but now that I have re installed Pro Tools, the machine refuses to recognise the Mbox2. (no lights, no nuthin. 'tis driving me nuts!)

As a temporary solution, I was thinking of getting a focusrite 2i2 and using it with a trial version of Adobe Audition on my Windows laptop. I do prefer to work in Pro Tools on the Mac (if only because I'm so used to it), but right now I don't want to dish out the bucks for a new computer and new version of P.T. I have major oral surgery coming up next month and would rather wait until I have recovered and recovered successfully before springing for new gear.

My question is this: if I do get the focusrite, and I decide to get a newer Mac and version of Pro Tools some months down the road, will they play nicely together? Anyone use non-digidesign audio interfaces with their Pro Tools? If so, how are you finding it?

Alternately, if anyone has any idea why my old Macbook Pro with the new HD in it just won't take notice of the Mbox2, I'd love to hear it! OS is freshly installed 10.4.10 from disks and upgraded online to 10.4.11, Pro Tools is version LE 7 (though the box contained a disk for 6.8.1 as well if that gives a workable solution).

But mainly I am curious about people's experiences with 3-rd party audio interfaces while using Pro Tools. If for no other reason than my growing and irrational hatred for all things Mbox right about this moment.

And apologies for being long winded and whingy. If it's any consolation, the full tale of my recent woes is much, much longer and whingier. It involves 8 hours of driving in and out of town, gallons of coffee in lieu of sleep, panic, more panic, relief - no wait, I was wrong: more panic, followed by even worse panicking, weeping, gnashing of teeth, even more panic, wanting to name a bridge after my computer repair guy, then wanting to throw him off a bridge, and then feeling like he had just sold me the Brooklyn Bridge, and finally, just for variety's sake, panic.

cheers,
Andrew Fogarasi
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Audition on Windows. I really liked my 2i2 at first, it has a nice clean and highly detailed sound comparable to my Echo Audiofire2 for playback, but the drivers and controls for it are terrible. Switching between 44 and 48kHz? Forget it. Recording above 48kHz? No go. Worst of all, once you're in Adobe, you can't play audio from email attachments or downloads - so your workflow is completely shot. It was rough even going from Skype to saved files on the desktop.

Also, I liked the preamps, but they seem to have inadequate headroom.

I would highly recommend the 2i2 for amateur musicians, but not for voice over talents.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd need to upgrade EVERYTHING to go to a 3rd party interface for Pro Tools. You'd need at least PT 9 which would require OS 10.6.8 (if memory serves). Maybe you have a bad USB cable? Try a different USB port? That is odd behavior.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
You'd need to upgrade EVERYTHING to go to a 3rd party interface for Pro Tools. You'd need at least PT 9 which would require OS 10.6.8 (if memory serves). Maybe you have a bad USB cable? Try a different USB port? That is odd behavior.

Thanks George. I tried the other USB port right off. To no avail, I'm afraid. Even odder, I have been tinkering since my earlier post and actually managed to get Audition on my Windows machine to light the Mbox up once I installed an ASIO driver that allegedly lets it talk to non Pro Tools DAWs. But I still haven't managed to get any actual usable signal to record to a track yet in spite of the pretty lights.

It is indeed odd behaviour, and getting odder with each new twist!

I've been googling various phrases along the lines of "won't recognize mbox2" and there have been other unfortunate souls who have had their earlier-gen Mbox2 NOT light up with Pro Tools 7 after a re-boot or re-install. And my original Pro Tools install disk is so worn that I don't even know whether I could manage another full wipe and install. And Avid no longer offers downloads of ancient legacy versions of Pro Tools. And. And. And. Looks like I'll just have to pry open the wallet with a crowbar and make some purchases. And I just know that the combination of genuine need plus attraction to shiny new baubles is going to give me GAS. Chances are I will go and replace everything sooner than I had planned. The credit card is glinting and I don't really hate mbox, do I?

cheers,
Andrew Fogarasi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: