VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building a booth...sort of...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all are all kinds of awesome. I'm loving these ideas. Thank you so much!

Lee: the structure isn't necessarily going to be temporary. It's just going to be a work in progress, and a portable one at that. I want to start cheap(ish) with materials that will give me some kind of improvement in the outside-sound-rejection category, while also leaving me the ability to upgrade the structure over time as my budget permits.

Ventilation wise, I'm not sure what to do. I do have long-form work that comes up now and then, and our manufactured home isn't the best at keeping out the Texas heat in the summer. What if I design a simple roof that could be propped up at one end to let the heat out? (Again, thinking quick and cheap for starters, not necessarily a permanent solution)
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of using "portable" and "temporary" interchangeably. So as I understand it, this structure is not being permanently installed in your home. Either way, I think drywall with a frame may still be a good alternative to MDF. In fact, you could construct the walls from a single layer of drywall and, some time down the road, add a second layer with or without Green Glue.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Revised plans Reply with quote

Clutter Ash wrote:
Having done this before, I can tell you that if it's not "air tight" sound is still going to enter from the outside.

As I said at the top, I'm not aiming for perfect for this first pass. Just better than my current setup, and something that can be improved over time as I get the budget to do so. If I can do enough in phase one to block out the wind noise (my biggest session-stopper so far), I'll be a happy camper.

Clutter Ash wrote:
The thing that struck me in your beginning description was that it was going to be only 6 ft high. Are you perhaps a very small person? I think as much head room as you can reasonable fit in your space would be the best way to go.

As I pointed out to someone else, I mis-read the measurement of my ceiling height, and only thought I could go up to about 6 feet. It would've been a tight squeeze for my 5'9" frame, but I was willing to sacrifice. Thankfully I've got more room after all, but I still can't use the full height of a standard 4'x8' board.

So here's the revised Phase 1 plan based on the recommendations so far:

Dimensions: 4' x 6' base (approximately), roughly 6'5" high
Walls: 3/8" drywall (single layer) mounted on wood frames constructed using using 2x4s
Floor: 4'x6' stall mat
Estimated cost so far, including hardware: $250-$300

The walls and ceiling will each be built as separate units (which is why the base dimensions are approximate) so that I can easily disassemble the booth when we eventually move. I considered the suggestion to use 1x3s for the wall framing, but if I want to later add insulation (like Roxul) and additional drywall layers, I'd have to replace the frame. Using 2x4s will make upgrading easier, even though the pieces will be heavier as a result.

To connect the pieces, I'm still leaning toward hinges, but I'll probably browse the hardware store for other ideas. It won't be air-tight, but again, my target for this first pass is "better," not "perfect." If I do go with hinges, I can use one of the 4-foot end walls as a door. To help it open/shut more easily while sliding on the room's laminate floor, I'll probably pad the bottom of the door-wall with felt or something similar. I'm still planning on using existing moving blankets for interior treatment (and exterior, if any are left).

One idea I had for providing a slightly better seal between the pieces is to add a layer of mass-loaded vinyl where they meet, and use a bracket that will pull the pieces together with some tension.

Remaining challenges: ventilation and bass trapping. I've found some plans for both that I'll be looking at in greater detail, but want to get started on the booth build ASAP.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reaching just a bit further out than my technical skills, but will share what I have observed about recording spaces. PROXIMITY EFFECT. Some of us who did a bit a radio work when we were young enough that we were a bit self-conscious that our voices didn't boom "like the Big Boys" learned that close talking a mic could beef up your sound a bit.

Then as I experimented with developing a home recording space, I noticed that mic locations designed to minimize reverberations (like the often touted trick of setting your mid in front of the clothes hanging in your closed) could quickly get into the boominess of the proximity effect and as we get older, the last thing some of us need is that extra low frequency stuff!)

I don't know if you plan to sit or stand in this booth you hope to construct, but keep in mind you can get your mouth and your mic too close to the ceiling and create some Proximity Effect you don't want. If you are going to make a booth in a space with a low ceiling, trying to add a floor based isolation layer and a ceiling within the booth below your room ceiling may create a bit of an acoustic problem. Construct such layers in a way you can gracefully remove them if you end up with that closed, confined sound.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be over-building in some places and under-building in others. I think you could get by with 2x3 framing or even, 1x2. It doesn't need to provide structural support; it's mainly an attachment point for your hinges. I would go with piano hinges, but full 6' ones could get expensive, especially because they are almost always made of solid brass. You could probably get away with two or three shorter ones on each intersection, except the one you use for a door. I'd go with a full-length one there.
I'd also consider 1/2" or 5/8" drywall rather than 3/8". Although the latter is cheaper and slightly easier to work with, a little thicker slab will give your walls more rigidity and, more importantly, more mass, which will help block out the unwanted noise.
Even if you could get our hands on narrow strips of mass loaded vinyl to cover up the seams between your panels, I don't believe it is the right material for that application. Being bent just one or two times is likely to cause it to split down the seam, defeating its purpose. I think you'd be better off cutting foot-wide strips from a tarp and glueing them over your hinges.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lee. As I mentioned, I was thinking that framing with 2x4s would be better for future expansion. If I want to later add something like Roxul to insulate the walls, and an outside wall surface (the current plan is to leave the exterior framing uncovered, except for whatever moving blankets I may have left over), using 2x3 or 1x2 wouldn't work, would it? Or am I missing something?

As for the mass-loaded vinyl, I don't think that I explained myself clearly. My thought was to put a strip of it sandwiched between the walls where they connect; i.e. inside the seam, not across/over the seam.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid you may be wasting your time and money on this idea by missing a crucial point.

Where isolation is concerned, even the smallest crack can let in a good deal more exterior noise than you would imagine. Hinges and loosely met edges can negate any benefit from the walls you're creating. And since it's wind noise you're dealing with, you need a solid seal against your foe.

Think like you're keeping water out. If water could seep through, so can sound. Odds are, it's exactly why sound is getting into your untreated space in the first place.

One excellent suggestion that was made earlier may be worth revisiting. A simple pvc frame, liberally draped with moving blankets, can be an effective and cheap solution. Care should be taken to make sure of sufficient overlap at edges and floor to prevent sound seepage, and multiple fabric layers to prevent bleed. Moving blankets contain the same recycled denim many advocate here for effective sound dampening. And moving blankets are cheap, as little as $8 at Northern Tool, for instance.... Saving valuable funds for building a real booth when your budget allows.

Just a thought.... But one worth considering before you invest in materials.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 AND a very loud "AMEN" coming from the back of the room to...
EVERYTHING Don just said. Wink
Bob Stevens
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the moving blanket and pvc idea.

My space is very reflective with a tile floor, ugh.. and because of my space limitation my recording area cannot be fixed. I did the pvc frame thing with moving blankets I found on craigs for $5 each. When shopping for the blankets I looked for the pro 8-9 pounders per blanket. Works great except for low rumble... So, off to lowes for 4" denim insulation and several 8oz canvas tarps. I sewed up some 4x3 foot canvas bags, stuffed in some cut to fit battens of insulation, grommets in each corner for hanging and now have portable bass trap gobos. I hang them on a couple of spare boom stands, the pvc or throw them in corners depending on my layout at the time. Oh and one for a cloud. Total out of pocket cost ~$150. My LDC noise floor is ~ -52 without using the mics high pass filter.

My floor has been the pita... with a few blankets strewn around. Now with Donna's stall mat idea it should be golden. My local feed store has the 4x6 mats of heavy mass rubber for $65.

Total investment will be ~$225

Bob
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heyguido wrote:
I'm afraid you may be wasting your time and money on this idea by missing a crucial point.

Where isolation is concerned, even the smallest crack can let in a good deal more exterior noise than you would imagine. Hinges and loosely met edges can negate any benefit from the walls you're creating. And since it's wind noise you're dealing with, you need a solid seal against your foe.

If you're saying that the design I'm proposing won't block the wind noise at all, I disagree. Could it block more? Absolutely, but as I've said from the start of this thread, I can't afford to take every possible step to make the booth the best that it can be right out of the gate. However, I desperately need something better than what I have now, and eventually I would like to have a really nice booth that sounds awesome inside and rejects as much as possible of the outside. That's why I plan to build it in stages. The plans outlined above are simply the first stage, and all that I'm really looking for that stage to do is reject outside sound better than my current setup. Not ideal, not perfect, just better. I don't believe that I'm missing the point that you mentioned. I'm simply making a conscious decision to live with all of the flaws that will be present in the booth's early stages -- like less-than-perfect crack sealing -- knowing that those flaws will be fixed over time as I'm able to afford the upgrades.

On a different note, a friend who plans to help me with the construction pointed out a possible drawback to using drywall: it's a lot easier to damage. Eventually we'll move to a different house, and the booth will be disassembled and moved to a new space. If one of the drywall sheets gets damaged in transit -- or at any other time -- fixing it could be a hassle. Thicker drywall would be less damage-prone, but it's still a potential future problem point. I need to decide if I want to save money and live with more brittle walls, or spend more for something like MDF that can't be easily damaged by a hand, fist, etc.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Revised plans Reply with quote

JBarrett wrote:

As I said at the top, I'm not aiming for perfect for this first pass. Just better than my current setup, and something that can be improved over time as I get the budget to do so. If I can do enough in phase one to block out the wind noise (my biggest session-stopper so far), I'll be a happy camper.

It won't be air-tight, but again, my target for this first pass is "better," not "perfect."

By incorporating a few of the great suggestions you have received in this thread, I think you can attain your original target... better, not perfect... and stay close to your original budget.

How long you stay in the "first pass" will depend upon how much the "better, not perfect" is doing to increase your income.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Donna
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Bailey, FTW. Or, for the hokey pokey.

That's what it's all about!

Donna Postel
donnapostel.com
donna@donnapostel.com
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions and advice regarding my desire to build a booth. This thread has definitely given me a lot to consider. Once the build starts rolling, I'll share the construction progress and the results of my efforts.
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna,

I was telling the DH about this idea and he thought that sounded like a very cool idea. His question was about fire safety. How are these mats rated (if at all)? There's a feed store not far from here and this might be a way for us to solve some issues at this end...

Any advice on that?

Donna wrote:
Another way to separate from the floor - go to your feed store and get a stall mat (I know you know where the feed store is!)...other good stuff deleted for brevity.

Donna
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought about fire rating on the mats, CC, and a cursory glance around teh interweb brought no enlightenment. If you find out, please share!

Donna Postel
donnapostel.com
donna@donnapostel.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: