VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avantone CV-12, U47 clone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Avantone CV-12, U47 clone Reply with quote

My heart lies with Blue Microphones but the 'Mouse' I've had for years just isn't cutting it. I wanna move up to a tube mic with some warmth.
Has anyone tried Avantone CV-12 or any of the U47 diy clones? Something in the $500 to $1500 range.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the issue with the Mouse, Moose? I'm just curious cause it's a mic I've been drooling over for a long time, but would be glad to know if it's a dead end. Thanks for your thoughts, and sorry for your plight!
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Mouse, and it's a fine piece of kit. Once you learn to work it, it's warm and rich. However, crowd it, and it gets muddy. Let it breathe, and it's a gem.

Just talked Rob into one, and last I heard, he was considering whether he still needed his 47.... Personally, if I had a 47, I'd be hard pressed to let go of it. Wink

But I like my Mouse just fine.... It's a valued member of my quiver.

One note.... Buy the black one. The blue one doesn't even compare.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Don!

From what I hear, the Blue Transformerless version has been discontinued for a couple years now.

How does it fare in less than ideal spaces? Does it pick up a lot of the room, or is it pretty focused? I've seen a couple of youtube videos where the owners are using it as a podcast mic with little visible treatment in the background.

Thanks again for the input!
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obligatory disclaimer.... Skipper Wise is an old friend from my jazz radio days....

And I've got a few Blue mics. Some are real special. Each has its own distinct character.... And they're designed to be that way. I've got a Bluebird (nice on an alto), a Dragonfly (for the voices of angels), a Bottle (interchangeable heads), and, of course, the Mouse.

Like any large diaphragm condenser, the Mouse will pick up more of its environment than a dynamic. So, if your studio space is less than perfect, it won't hide it. My space is pretty well treated, but I still need to install a cloud overhead.

I use an SE Reflection Filter Pro, and it does a great job of isolating those stray reflections. JS likes the Kaotica Eyeball. Both are worth a look if you have a less than perfect environment.

That said, I love my Mouse.... And highly recommend it for a male voice. It's also pretty good on some instruments, too. Kick drum, toms, even a high end acoustic guitar. I've got a buddy who loves it on horns. It's pretty good at handling high SPLs, as long as you don't crowd it. And you can get a great Barry White out of it if you're careful not to overpower it up close.

The black version is transformer driven. The blue version is transformerless.... And sounds kinda bland compared to the black. A lot of folks compare the black to the u47. I'm not sure I'd go quite that far.... But it is pretty sweet once you learn to use it. It takes a bit to master it.... But once you do.... Wink

Last edited by heyguido on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Don!

I'm a big fan of Skipper's review! Great to learn you know him!

I had the pleasure of using the Mouse in grad school when I was taking an audio recording course for extra credit. Was drawn to the look instantly, and loved how it sounded on my voice, even high pitched character stuff ( I was doing my best Skeletor impression, haha!)

My primary treatment is Harlan's Porta-Booth Plus, which is brilliant for what it does, not sure how it'd handle the Mouse, though.

I'll keep my eyes peeled on ebay; there's been repeat listings for one new starting at $650, but I've seen one used go as cheap as $400 and $200 ( I was a fool not to get it then! Just couldn't get over the silver marker all over the mic body. Curse my superficiality)

Thanks again for your thoughts!
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And apologies to Moose for the blatant threadjacking Embarrassed
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have modded two Apex 460 and one Avantone CV-12. I like the modded version almost as much as the original or target microphones.

I won't go into anything on the "Mouse" except to say it is not a U47.

Nor is the Avantone CV-12 for that matter. DIY mods are more likely to take the CV-12 (Apex 460/Nady SCM 1050) toward a C-12 sound rather than a U47. However after the mods these mics are a bit shrill in the high range and thick (not muddy) in the low's, using high end metal capacitors and a better tube (buy at least two of them) will help the mid's become a bit more "forward", but it will not reach the C-12 status or the U47 feel.

Take a look at this website for some good information on a DIY U47 circuit board (and other suggestions: http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=49675.0

The capsule and tube are the defining parts of this DIY mod. Choose a good capsule and a very good tube. With a good donor mic body and sourcing superb parts a DIY version will run around $500.00 more than the base/donor microphone. Add a Peluso capsule and you can another $300.00. A better tube will add more defined color and depth and will cost around $150.00+- each - USD.

The CV-12/Apex460 is a good mic on it's own but again some tweaks with capacitors and tubes can make this mic a VERY good mic for a very low price. Adding the right capsule also changes the quality of these modded microphones.

Before you go the DIY mod route I would suggest you look at your skills with a soldering iron and reading a schematic. If you are not proficient with either, don't start with this particular mod. it is not a beginner's modification.

Frank F
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heyguido wrote:
Obligatory disclaimer.... Skipper Wise is an old friend from my jazz radio days....

And I've got a few Blue mics. Some are real special. Each has its own distinct character.... And they're designed to be that way. I've got a Bluebird (nice on an alto), a Dragonfly (for the voices of angels), a Bottle (interchangeable heads), and, of course, the Mouse.

Like any large diaphragm condenser, the Mouse will pick up more of its environment than a dynamic. So, if your studio space is less than perfect, it won't hide it. My space is pretty well treated, but I still need to install a cloud overhead.

I use an SE Reflection Filter Pro, and it does a great job of isolating those stray reflections. JS likes the Kaotica Eyeball. Both are worth a look if you have a less than perfect environment.

That said, I love my Mouse.... And highly recommend it for a male voice. It's also pretty good on some instruments, too. Kick drum, toms, even a high end acoustic guitar. I've got a buddy who loves it on horns. It's pretty good at handling high SPLs, as long as you don't crowd it. And you can get a great Barry White out of it if you're careful not to overpower it up close.

The black version is transformer driven. The blue version is transformerless.... And sounds kinda bland compared to the black. A lot of folks compare the black to the u47. I'm not sure I'd go quite that far.... But it is pretty sweet once you learn to use it. It takes a bit to master it.... But once you do.... Wink

Don, what pre are you running it through? Maybe I just need to dial in my Summit Pre a little better. I've just never been blown away by it and it's missing that warmth that I'm looking for. Could be that I'm just looking to shake things up due to a job dry spell.
Lemme know about the preamp though. Thanks.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I have been test-driving a Mouse. If I get some time, I may post some files ....BTW Guido I don't have a U47 but a U87ai....but I appreciate the thought Laugh

Quote:
Don, what pre are you running it through? Maybe I just need to dial in my Summit Pre a little better. I've just never been blown away by it and it's missing that warmth that I'm looking for. Could be that I'm just looking to shake things up due to a job dry spell.
Lemme know about the preamp though. Thanks.

I'm also wondering about this....my current pre is a Great River
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also interested in how much low end you cut with the Mouse, this dude has a LOT of low end
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, guys... It's been a busy week, and I've been playing catch up since Austin.

I've got a couple, depending on my needs.... Focusrite ISA One, Focusrite Vocalmaster Pro channel strip when I need a little analog processing, and the Propellerhead Balance.

Of the three, the big Focusrite is my fave on the Mouse. But that's just me. I'd love to have Rob's Great River. Bet it sounds pretty good on the Mouse, once you dial it in. Wink

And, yes, I have been known to dial back the lows when using the Mouse. Depends on how I'm using it. As noted above, each Blue is somewhat "tuned", and the frequency response of the Mouse (see the website for specifics) has a low end bump that is clearly seen in the graphs. Some people sneer at this, and I get it.

But, as Rob has discovered, it opens up nicely if you give it a little space. There's a pronounced proximity effect. Get too close, and it can get muddy under power.

I've found that a soft, intimate delivery works best up close, and as your energy level rises, so should your distance. It takes a little while to get used to it, but once you learn to work the mic, it can really sound quite nice.

After all, isn't that the case with any mic? It's all about mic technique.

Wink
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great stuff Guido, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: