VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio One Free Input Issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Studio One Free Input Issue Reply with quote

Just a little FYI.

George (and a couple other narrators I chatted with) had an issue with Studio One Free not working with their computer or interface. Well, after much messing around, I was able to get my Mac laptop to do the same thing. I'm not sure what causes it, but I did find a way around it.

The Free version does not have the ability to add additional inputs in the Audio I/O setup, however, the paid versions do. The Free version does not allow more than 2 simultaneous inputs, and therefore has removed the option to add inputs. When (and it only happens occasionally) Studio One doesn't set up your audio interface correctly from the default, you can't really do anything about it. I've reached out to Presonus, but they don't offer support for the Free version, and no one on any forum has solved this. It just seems to be a bug with random Macs (I haven't seen it happen on PC and it is not related to the interface as I've tried multiple interfaces on these affected Macs and they all do the same thing).

The solution is to grab the demo of the paid version. It is a 30-day demo, and then if you like it, you can just buy the Artist version. I personally love it for punch and roll recording, so if I had to, I would buy the upgraded version.

Once in the demo of the paid version, go to your Audio I/O setup, then you will see "Add Mono Input." If you add the inputs that are consistent with your interface, you will be up and running.

So, George, if you want to test it out, you can! Just get the 30-day trial and add the inputs as I mentioned Smile
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, Jason. They certainly don't Mac a user feel all warm and fuzzy, do they. If I am inspired to play with it more, I'll purchase the artist edition, but since Reaper already does what I want, I've haven't been motivated to do so. Maybe I'll try Studio ONE FREE in my Windows VM.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if I wipe it off my system, unplug all the audio devices, re-install it, then maybe it will work if it only sees my built-in hardware. I haven't installed it on this fresh Mavericks system I'm using now, so this is an opportunity to test that theory! I'll let you know if it works.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to know. I've worked with a few narrators, and we haven't been able to figure it out. I also can't get it to work right on my Macbook Pro...it seems totally random.

Was your issue on a Mini?

Mine actually doesn't recognize ANY audio inputs. Not even the built-in audio. It seems like some weird random glitch in the install that makes it no recognize any audio device as an I/O device. It only sees the outputs.
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Studio One Free Input Issue Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
The solution is to grab the demo of the paid version. It is a 30-day demo, and then if you like it, you can just buy the Artist version.

...or drop back down to the Free Version. I think they even suggest you do that if you need to, until you've "saved your pennies" or something like that.

BTW isn't Studio One developed from Kristal, which was a freeware DAW?
(I think PreSonus bought them out or something like that).

I think Kristal was 16 tracks, but not sure about how many inputs- you can still find Kristal downloads around.

PS Sorry, Kristal was for Windows, so wouldn't help regarding using with Macs.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I don't know if you meant that post to try to fix the issue with the interface, but I tried that and it worked!

We have a real workaround now! Woohoo!!!!

Activate the 30-day Trial, go into the Audio I/O setup and add the Mono inputs, click Make Default. Then go back to Activations and downgrade back to Free.

Now (even if you remove the interface) it will display your interface in the Free version. Yay!
DanG
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Studio One Pro since it 1st came out and is the only DAW that I use. Took all my other DAWS off my computer. I think this is the best DAW out there imo. I have never had a problem with it and it is so stable. Been using it since 2009.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No brainer: https://shop.presonus.com/products/cinco-de-mayo/Studio-One-Artist-2 $5 for Studio One Artist, TODAY ONLY
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on that deal, George. Done and done!
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, George!

I'll be searching for some thoughts on various different software packages sometime soon, but for $5 I'm happy to test this one out right now.

Cheers,
Rich
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ What he said ^^^^ Thanks, George!

Dave
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow, I just went back to that link and it looks like the normal price is $99.95. Is that accurate? All I can say is, thanks again, George!

Cheers,
Rich
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richvoice wrote:
Holy cow, I just went back to that link and it looks like the normal price is $99.95. Is that accurate? All I can say is, thanks again, George!

Cheers,
Rich

That's accurate, and the $5.00 price allows a total of 5 substantiations (or 'installs' if that's more appropriate terminology).

Dave
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Input and output Reply with quote

I've started going through Studio One 2, and it definitely seems like a feature-rich application. Previously, I used ProTools, Adobe Audition, Audacity, and Ableton Live on a PC (definitely like Audition the best), so I'm pretty familiar with digital audio recording/editing. But I'm having trouble with something that seems very basic to me with Studio One 2.

I don't have everything set up for high-quality recording, I'm just testing out the software right now. So I've got a Samson Go-Mic plugged into my MacBook Air via USB, and I was planning on just listening to the playback on speakers that are plugged into the Mac's 1/8" miniplug jack. But I was getting no output.

So I started monkeying with the I/O settings, and it seems as though I have to switch back and forth manually between the mic and the Built-in Output in order to hear the playback (track input | Audio I/O Setup | Audio Setup | Audio device). In other words, it appears that I'm only allowed one audio device for both input and output. Is this correct?

This seems... odd to me. I don't recall ever having that limitation with the other software packages I've used. Maybe I'm mis-remembering, it's been a while; perhaps one or more of the packages I've used was set up the same way. Still, seems inconvenient to me, seems like I should be able to specify any input device that the computer sees and any output device the computer sees.

Am I just missing something obvious?

Thanks,
Rich
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're trying to do is use multiple audio devices per session.. Not all software is set up to do this.. I know in Logic, you need to go into the OS X preferences and set up an aggregate device..

The only equivalent I know of, if my memory serves, in PC land is this:

http://download.cnet.com/ASIO4ALL/3000-2120_4-75724497.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: