VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'll take the silver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: I'll take the silver Reply with quote

Colonel Mustard in the dining room? No. Just the results of an audition. The guy had so much faith in me he had me cut the script three times, but alas, it came down to 2 and I was not the one chosen. But it's an honor to be, uh, nominated. And nice to be told how close I came to landing the gig. That's a rarity, or is it? Curious your experiences. Aside from actually winning the job, are you
a.) never b.) rarely c.) occasionally or d.) usually
told where you landed in the pile?
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rarely, and I usually don't care to know my pile position. As I've noted here before I like to audition and forget it...not worry about it. Once in a while they call you back and make your day by booking you.

And that's why I hate V12345's pieces of hate email that say "the client wants you to know they are considering someone else". Who the hell wants to know that? Of course you don't get any one of the damn jobs UNTIL the time someone calls you back.

I've become really good at forgetting auditions afterwards, but my agent called me to a big deal national audition a couple of months ago and made the mistake of telling me the TV spot had a base fee of $9,000 per actor and might go up from there. I'm sure I tried too hard (over thought the audition) and I had three or four miserable days of not getting a phone call. Never again, I swear!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ocasionally told how many contenders there are for a job.

Then I do the audition and forget about it, but before I affect "forgetting"
I say to Dieter "They're crazy if they don't cast me."
THEN I forget about it.

Of course, no one has ever blown the sweet aroma of Nine Large up my nostrils. That would be hard to forget.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by tackerman on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told twice that I'm on a short list that the person compiled and was asked for a custom demo. I got the job once from that, the other I submitted the custom demo and never heard back....all other times I either just got the job, or I never heard anything.....I've never been told "thanks but no thanks"....I've never been told where I ranked out of any contenders.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once was told that the office staff nearly had a riot trying to pick between my audition and another's. I've had a few other times in which I've been asked to do follow-up auditions and been cast 3 of those times.

And, just a few minutes ago I received an email thanking me for a custom audition I'd done, but that they went with the other guy.

Aside from that handful of times, I've not heard where I was in the "pile."
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely know and most times, I really don't care. Once in a while, something comes along that I really like and so, really wanna do it.

On a few occasions, I have followed up with a call or an email. I kinda liked it when I was told that of the people on the list of finalists, none seemed to care enough to follow up and could I have it done by this or that date. That follow up was well worth while.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newspaper ad

Someone wanted

Must be a voice over

Salary not disclosed

What do we want? You have to guess

Before you make a call, send an email or a letter with a demo you qualify the lead to see if you are looking in the right place. Do you pre-qualify your auditions?

One can adopt the attitude "I may as well audition as I have nothing better to do" or " I value my time, is this job worth the investment?" I've heard all the excuses like "hey it's part of the job to audition" and I accept that to a certain extent but you must bear in mind that everyone else in the audition process is being paid so if you audition it's your money NOT theirs so don't let them waste it.

You should audition and then walk away - Never look back. Additionally you should send yourself a bill for every audition you do, even if it's only a nominal $50. Make sure you chase your unpaid audition invoices too.

Example

January - 10 audition @ $50 = $500
March - 1 job from an audition $250
BAD debt $250

People in this business will allow you to waste your time and money as long as you let them.

Here's an interesting fact. Since January none of the auditions I have done have resulted in work (I do few auditions) and all of these audition requests have come from the USA. In isolation the former sounds really bad, as if there is no work out there for me, not the case.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rare that I know where I sit in the pile. However, just the past two days I was paid (yep paid) for a custom audtion and told I'm on the short list. And yesterday I followed up on an audition and got this reply:

"Yes I did recieve your demo. Thank you! I am in the process of choosing the best VO talent for my project and you are definitly part of what has become a dificult choice. I will be in contact with you in the next few days

Again, thank you for your demo..."

Momma always said I made life difficult for people.

As for those annoying "You Suck" emails from V123, if you scroll all the way down to the bottom, you'll see some instructions in really tiny print directing you to a link where you can make those emails go away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: