VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is compressing denim insulation OK?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zach Meissner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned a lot reading through your helpful tips here guys, I appreciate it. Jason, that PDF is certainly an interesting read from a more scientific point of view, thanks for that.

It hadn't occurred to me about the back of the panel, the sound should still be able to travel 'through' it to absorb as much as possible and not be stopped by a piece of plywood as I was thinking.

Thanks again everyone!

ZachMeissner.com
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach Meissner wrote:
It hadn't occurred to me about the back of the panel, the sound should still be able to travel 'through' it to absorb as much as possible and not be stopped by a piece of plywood as I was thinking.

Another interesting gear thread. When I treated my room (extra BR) I mounted panels a bit away from walls. Logic seems sound enters the front, passes through the panel to the 'air gap' behind, reflects off the wall and back for a second trip through the panel, doubling the thickness/effectiveness. It really knocks down my room reflections.

Dave
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The context of this thread is probably a good place to repeat what has been said so many times, but if you have never been up to your shoe laces in sawdust on one of the projects, it goes in one ear and out the other.

People look at a room with these panels, and they begin planning one of their own, and what gets into the thinking sooner or later: "Boy, this is really going to reduce my noise level... with all this sound proofing." <insert>

I guess noise also bounces and reverberates to some extent, so if you stop your noise from bouncing, maybe it is reduced by a fraction of a smidgen.

If noise coming into your room from the outside is your problem, these panels we are describing are not your solution. That leaf blower down the street is still going to sound like an angry hornet in a bottle in your recordings even though you have ACOUSTIC panels.
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:
If noise coming into your room from the outside is your problem, these panels we are describing are not your solution. That leaf blower down the street is still going to sound like an angry hornet in a bottle in your recordings even though you have ACOUSTIC panels.

I concur totally. Sorry if my previous post was misconstrued. The sole purpose of my paneling is to reduce reflections within the room.

Dave
Zach Meissner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:
The context of this thread is probably a good place to repeat what has been said so many times, but if you have never been up to your shoe laces in sawdust on one of the projects, it goes in one ear and out the other.

People look at a room with these panels, and they begin planning one of their own, and what gets into the thinking sooner or later: "Boy, this is really going to reduce my noise level... with all this sound proofing." <insert>

+1 to this

Sound treatment is very different than sound proofing. I think I can speak for many of us who create these panels, we are dealing with sound reflections from the source - speaking into the mic - not external noises.

I'm going to offset my panels a bit and see what that does for the reflections, acoustics are a fascinating science to me.

ZachMeissner.com
jordanreynolds
Contributor II

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
Yep, I've learned over the last 10 years that these tiny booths you work in have their own sets of rules that really are unique to VO. Adding more angles or diffusion in these tiny rooms isn't helpful at all. While I've mastered tuning VO booths, I'd never try to fool someone into thinking I can tune a control room or larger music recording studio with the same success. I learned a lot from late Mike Sommer, as well, that it's VERY hard to over-treat a small booth. To make any room in a typical house truly "anechoic" you'd have no room left to stand in there with 3' thick of treatment on the walls.

I accidentally stumbled upon this thread, funny! I currently building my new booth with the awesome UltraTouch Denim. But, it does come in 3.5." Between my layers of double 5/8" drywall is 2 x 4 studs. So, the 3.5" denim will be placed there without compression.

However, inside my booth, I plan to treat my inner walls with for acoustic/sound absorption only. I will be compressing it a bit with tight fabric against the walls. I'll also be filling all corners with this as bass traps, but uncompressed.

I'll be shocked compressing the denim a little bit proves to be inadequate for a VO booth. I'll be sure to share my results!

And ditto to what George said. If found it nearly impossible to OVER-treat a VO booth, making it sound "too dead."
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordanreynolds wrote:

I currently building my new booth with the awesome UltraTouch Denim. But, it does come in 3.5." Between my layers of double 5/8" drywall is 2 x 4 studs. So, the 3.5" denim will be placed there without compression.

Why???? Go back and read carefully some of the things that are part of this thread. People are telling us that the Denim product is good for acoustical purposes. Your plan to put some inside your booth... covered by fabric... sounds like a good plan for ACOUSTICAL treatment.

But inside the wall, between the inner and outer drywall material, between the studs... maybe you don't want fluffed up, loose, un-compressed denim. Here you are not doing acoustical treatment but blocking the transmission of sound. Isolation. If you are going to put the denim product there, maybe you want it packed tight enough to get TWO 3-1/2 inch layers stuffed in there. You want density. You want mass. Granted, putting a layer of denim in there will be better than leaving it hollow.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jordan is using it exactly as it is intended to be used.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Scott Lyle
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thought to using Roxul Safe and Sound in the walls? It's at the home center, and fits between studs 16" o.c.

Good thread.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Lyle wrote:

Any thought to using Roxul Safe and Sound in the walls? It's at the home center, and fits between studs 16" o.c.

There are consultants in the acoustical world who can give us expert advice on when to use each of the popular products, but Roxul Safe and Sound and the Denim product and Owens-Corning 701, 703 and 705 fiberglass are all quite similar and no one goes to jail for picking the wrong one.

Each manufacturer publishes absorption ratings for each product and you can compare them.... if you know the likely results. The audio frequency where each product does it's peak performance varies some. Most of us don't know which frequency is most troublesome in our studio.... especially if the studio isn't built yet.

I used Roxul. Because I thought it was better? No. Roxul was available in my little Appalachian town. The other products were not. I made a monumental decision: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush... or two in some other town.
Zach Meissner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some fantastic information for those interested in learning more about this. I found 3 videos from Primacoustics on youtube that give detailed test information, mostly in the 3rd video, that may be able to help as you build out your space. Specifically in regards to leaving an air space behind the panel. Hint, it makes a difference!

Part 1 How Much Do You Need - http://youtu.be/2C9Gb0Ar5Zk

Part 2 Where do you put it - http://youtu.be/Bfuuw9HBz_w

Part 3 Differences between materials - http://youtu.be/XXjz8D3DRNw

ZachMeissner.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: