VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording Space Treatment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaneGraham057
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Recording Space Treatment Reply with quote

(In an attempt) at following some of the sound advice here, I have 'graduated' from the 'HHBox' to converting my workspace into a semi-treated recording area.

Basically, I followed the YT/Googled plans for framing/covering bats of rockwool insulation and hung them at different intervals on my walls. Already I can tell a ginourmous difference in that space (or at least it sounds neat when I yell and fa la la in it)

I still have some auralex foam tiles that I plan to stick up on the wall(s) in various spots - would that be necessary? Frivolous?

(And FWIW, the windows are double paned or at least there are storm windows outside of the inner window) So that helps some. (And I am on a corner lot away from the corner) Laugh

Here are some pics -
(The mic is not in its final resting spot BTW)

georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it says in my signature below...

So, does it? Then you are finished.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you've got the furralex in a good spot.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
ShaneGraham057
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Yeah, this is kind of 'his' room too, so I had to set him up a spot near the window again. He can be rather persuasive at times Wink

And you are right Soundgun... I just need to start making some noises into my mic and see how it sounds on the playback!
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your panels are super cool and jazzy.. to make it sound better I would say unbox the room... and treat the corners..

I would place the panels to kill the 90 degree angles where the walls meet... stuff Auralex in the corners... get a 2x4 cheap project board and use spray adhesive to mount foam panels.. hang those on the wall for diffusion..

how about the ceiling? place the mic so you have diffusion in front of and behind you.. miraculous things can be done with pvc pipe frames from Home Depot and packing blankets.. for short money...

these are just some of the things that have worked for me in the past
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish my landlord let me keep furralex in my apartment. :(

But I'm happy to see we have the same mic, Shark Banana! Hope it's getting some good use!

I also really like the adhesive hooks you're hanging the panels from. A great non-destructive method.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those command strips hooks are a good idea, especially on the wall with wood paneling. Not so easy to patch and repaint as drywall. I hope they'll stand the test of time! The Yeti has a pretty wide cardioid pattern so won't be surprised if you need a bit more coverage of soft stuff. Hanging foam scraps glued to cardboard or foam-core is the way to go, then moving blankets if you run out.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ShaneGraham057
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the command strips are pretty much a necessity as the landlord said he didn't want any 'new' holes in the walls. I think they should do pretty okay as I have a handful of them holding things up in my daughters room.

Thanks for even more 'non-destructo' ways of mounting/proofing, and some of the other 'shoulda been obvious Shane' ideas (i.e. the CORNERS) Smile

I think this initial treatment has helped some - Ive still gotta play around with it some. Ive got another session with Uncle Roy later on. Im sure he will share some of his wisdom on this as well Smile

Yall, rock BTW.
And Happy Hump Day.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who does make a few unauthorized pin-prick holes in their walls, there's no need to buy a tub of spackling compound before you move out. Just patch them with a dab of toothpaste.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For hanging most stuff up to 50 lbs the "monkey hooks" are pretty kewl. No tools required, one small hole the size of a nail, no anchors.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: