VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vocalbooth to Go

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Vocalbooth to Go Reply with quote

I'm curious to hear you guys weigh in on some of the products from Vocalbooth to Go.

Their carry-on Vocal Booth pro has gotten some favorable reviews from Courvo and James Alsburger as a travel solution, or one for new talent or Those on a budget. I know Randy Kaye also uses their vocal booth on tracks for her studio.

I was particularly interested in the 3x3 vocal booth

http://www.vocalboothtogo.com/acoustic-and-soundproofing-products-vocal-booths/mobile-acoustic-vocal-booths/vocal-booth--3-x-3/10-54#ja-pathway

What do you guys think? Effective? Overpriced? Better to DIY? Unsightly?

I live in a small apartment in Japan (that I can't alter, so I hesitate to even screw anything into the walls) so I like the idea of having something that I can just put away, and even take with me when I eventually move.

As always your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Warmest Regards,

Sean
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$945??
seems rather pricy for what appears to be similar to a bunch of moving blankets on a simple frame.

would help more with reflections than keeping noise out, but probably better than nothing.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was said... as long as you understand that this is only one layer of moving blanket over a frame... and as such judge it just as minimal sound treatment, then it is simply vastly over-priced. The testimonial was funny... "I bought it at the Voice 2012 Convention" ... which is exactly where I think this stuff is sold to people who don't know any better or have money to burn.

I don't know of the price or availability in Japan, but purchase a bunch of 2" or 1.5" plastic pipe and connectors (enough for a 6x3x3 frame... or as big as your space allows)... get half a dozen moving blankets from the local supplier... and maybe some old bedding quilts from goodwill (or wherever).

As I say... I don't know the prices in Japan, but blankets can be had here for less than $10 each, and the pipe is around $.50 per foot. You could very easily make something better than this $945 offering for around $100. The pipe will be chunkier, but everything will break down for storage or moving.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! I know I've come to the right place!

And congratulations on getting 15,000 listens for the podcast, Bish!

Warmest Regards,

Sean
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what bish said - 1" sch. 40 pvc will be plenty - just add a horizontal cross piece 1/2 way down on each side to make it more rigid. less than $100 easy.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered the beauty of PVC pipe when I was taking a lot of photographs... I used to make light tents for product photography. I was only supporting light sheets, so 1" was strong enough... but it gave me immense flexibility... a box full of 90 degree elbows and t-pieces and a stack of different length pipe gave me any sized cage I needed. When I first started with VO, I adapted (beefed-up) the design to be strong enough to hold the blankets. Where needed, I used utility clamps to hold the sheets in place. I know of one VO who has one exactly like it sitting in her garage, and she's very happy with the results... although she uses Dan Lenard's "studio suit" instead of moving blankets. It may be worth checking with Dan regarding costs... however shipping could be an issue as he's based in the US.

Nice to hear that you're one of the 15,000 Smile

The latest show (episode 19) should be going up either today (or in a few, whenever Trish finishes the editing)... we interview Jon Bailey of Honest Trailers fame.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bish!

I had definitely considered studio suit as well. depending on shipping I could get two-3 sheets and still be half under the cost of the pre-made unit. Just depends on how heavy it is.

My pleasure about tuning into the podcast! I'm actually a student of Terry's and I listened to a bunch of episodes to help me confirm that he was legit and fun to work with (fortunately true on both counts!)

Warmest Regards,

Sean
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine it's hard to screw anything into the walls over there anyway, being made of paper and such. Shocked

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, your avatar and emoticon look eerily similar...
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ton of DIY ISO (Isolation) or Vocal booth websites on the web for you to review and get some ideas.

If PVC pipe is not a problem to purchase in Japan, I do know the moving blankets will be. So here is an alternative, use any heavy blanket or two sheets separated by about 1/2 inch to 1 inch and stretched tight. Place foam absorber material between the sheets. This process is simple and will cost a lot less than $945.00, I promise. Make sure you have a ceiling or lid over the top with foam absorber material also.

Good luck on the DIY adventure.

Frank F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: