VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone had experience with the Warm Audio Tone Beast TB-12?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adric83
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Anyone had experience with the Warm Audio Tone Beast TB-12? Reply with quote

Greetings all!

I'm in the market for a new pre-amp, and my little wallet is preparing itself to be ravaged by either the Warm Audio WA-12, or the TB-12.

I've seen some good videos, heard some good comparisons and writeups about the WA-12, but precious little about it's big brother, the "Tone Beast".

I can't decide whether it's squarely aimed at musicians wanting to overdrive their instruments or vocals, or whether having control over the gain on the input AND the output is useful, or would colour my sound too much?

Anyone's experience with either the WA-12 or the TB-12 and any advice too would be most welcome.

Cheers to all!

- Bill
chuckweis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill--I know there are some WA 12 owners here somewhere, so maybe they'll chime in for ya....but I can definitely speak for the Tone Beast. I do have one, and I bought it because I really liked what I had heard (people posting samples here and Youtube) of the WA 12 w/various mics. I wanted that API sound, and I figured since the TB was coming out, and it offered so many more options than the WA 12, that I'd go with that...so I did!

I like it. I even recently bought the John Hardy mod for it and installed it. It takes the place of the stock module on the "clean" side of the pre. I don't know how much difference ti really made, but it was only $60.

It probably is overkill for what we do, but me being the mic fanatic that I am, I wanted the options of changing between relatively clean/uncolored and a more vintage tone depending on the mic. I had people over on Gearslutz telling me to go w/the Great River ME if I could afford it cuz it was in a different class than the TB, and while I might do that one day, I'm rolling okay with the TB right now.
Adric83
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Chuck!

I think I'm going to go with the WA-12 for now, as you say, the TB could be overkill, and I don't have a large mic collection (YET!) so the versatility isn't as useful for me as it would be for you. Should my collection change (and who am I kidding, it will), I might flip the WA-12 and get a TB.

For now though I think that the value/cost ratio of the WA-12 is exactly in my range, and I hear it goes very well with my CAD e100s.

I appreciate the feedback, and I'm glad you like the TB-12, I'll know to expect the same characteristics from it if I upgrade from the WA-12.

- Bill

P.S. Does anyone else get frustrated over at Gearslutz that all they seem to talk about is how this or that mic/pre/whosiwatzit goes great with acoustic/electric guitar, bass and/or rap vocals?
I know what we do is more niche than that, but I would love to hear about a mic pre-amp or LDC mic that is just discussed on how it sounds on a voice!
Wink Inoccent
Lapianoman
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly how you feel about Gearslutz. Every once in a great while, someone will post information specific to VO, but most of the discussion is about recording music. I usually find more valuable information here in Gear.
JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TB is my workhorse. I have it paired with a 416 and love it. Some of the setting choices are very subtle. Generally, the cleaner side of the unit is my preference. Really crisp and well-rounded.
Adric83
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bit the bullet on the TB-12. I can't help myself, when it comes to tech, I want ALL the bells and whistles!!

Plus as has been mentioned the versatility seem very attractive to me, options for clean and coloured tones depending on what I'm doing.

What other elements are people pairing it with if I might ask? Which mics? Other things in the chain?

(I've mutated this thread.... good god what have I done?!?!)
chuckweis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it w/my Blue Bluebird now since I've sold every other mic I had. (The Bluebird constantly impresses me....maybe it's a great match for the TB.) Thinking about adding a Mojave MA 201 to the chain soon. (Have to decide whether to even keep my GAP 73 since I reach for the TB daily.)

Only other thing in my chain with the TB is a Symetrix 528e for some noise gating/downward expansion before it hits my TC Impact Twin.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a Mojave FET once and was impressed. Good mic for the $$$$.
Adric83
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a bad gas of G.A.S. brewing...

Picked up my Tone Beast TB-12 yesterday and already I'm loving the sound and the options I have to adjust, this is even on my lower end fairly plain back-up mic!

Thanks for all the input, as well as the info about what else everyone puts in their chains.

Can't wait to get my e100s back from service and do some growling!

- Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: