VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Spin On Old Trailer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: New Spin On Old Trailer Reply with quote

Hello From Ohio,

I know this is ancient history for most of you, but here is my take on the "13 going on 30" trailer..

http://robellis.info/images/rellis13goingon30trailer.mp3

.....my first (practice) movie trailer!! Now, ala Tony Robbins and Wayne Dyer, I will visualize sitting in a movie theater and hearing myself on the big screen... Any feedback on this is welcome, good, bad or indifferent...as a former jock, I'm used to being ripped apart by Program Directors, plus
my wife is a former actress, so let her rip and I'll promise not to cry (at least not in front of you)

P.S. DB-didn't know whether to solicit feedback here or in the Critique section since it technically isn't a demo, so I apologize for any breach of protocol!

PSS More than anything, I am excited about posting the sound file successfully! (Not much of a techie, but learning)
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Welcome aboard if you haven't been already welcomed. Since you're mostly asking for critique, it probably should go under that category, but here you are, so I'll have a go. You have a good voice. I'd be interested to know your background. Next I'd recommend "tightening up" your reads...especially individual words. Examples from the second and third lines:

Soooo, on her 13th birthdaaaay...Sshhe only maaade one wiiish.

Pardon me for over emphasising your stretching of these words, but I think you should be conscious of this and try and tighten everything up a bit. Sometimes there are words that need to be stretched and played with, but it should be rare and for a good reason.

I'd also use more excitement, or better a feeling of fun and intrigue in your read. Let us know this is going to be a cheery and slightly naughty (in a PG-13 kind of way) movie. Lastly, I'd bring your voice down in volume and/or the music and dialogue up. You should be "in" the mix, not on top of it.

A great start for a first go of it. Keep it up.

Bruce
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce. Very on target feedbackin my opinion, and I appreciate it. My background is mostly radio (10 years)....You're also right about being too much "on top of the mix"...I guess I tend to want to make sure my voice is coming through and not being obscured by the music, but visually (when looking at the soundwave) I was lowering the mix volume what looked like an awful lot...
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember where the original thread was-- so what the heck-- I'll leave it here.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the original thread: http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1091&highlight=movie+trailer

As for a critique? I am only begining in this arena and I am sure there are a few visitors to this board who would be able to describe a trailer read better than I can. Here goes...

There is a unique style that goes into reading trailers (and promos). You are only given a few words to fill in the blanks of an entire movie's plot line. Each word counts. For instance: "In a world." A movie trailer cliche, but it sets the stage for the viewer's imagination to suspend dis-belief, so the movie maker can create a fictional place or time. These three words need to create a fantasy world. In order to sell three words, you have to become one of the greatest storytellers ever and, most importantly, your voice has to encompass the overall emotion of the movie. There in lies the trick. If you can do that, then you can do trailers.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rob, I'll agree with Bruce here. You've got a good sound! BUT, you definitely need more excitement and a little "smile" in the read. Your vocal is very much on top and needs to be dropped down into the mix. Definitely a good start! That was my first "trailer" too Smile Keep practicing!

Here's my version just for fun (again). I cut the vo track on this one three or four times (if I remember correctly) before settling on the one here.

13 Going On 30

I come from a radio background too (21 yrs) and it's still hard for me not to want to sound like a radio jock sometimes. I practice all the time, at home, on the way to and from my day job and on the day job too...much to the ribbing (and sometimes) aggravation of my two co-workers. They're pretty much used to it now and pay me no mind Shocked
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I'm not an expert, but you are doing well so far. 13 Going on 30 was my 1st movie trailer too. Take heart....your initial take is better than my re-take. I had to redo it because it was abysmal....I did this take with a big smile although you really can't tell...but I did. Anyway, the point is, it isn't as easy as it seems, but your 1st take is better than my redo....take a listen and be encouraged.

Tom's not so good smiling retake of 1330

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom,

I think you're being too hard on yourself(as we probably all are)...your voice defintely cuts through very effectively and sounds real and un "announcery" which is a good thing in my opinion....yeah, could use a little more of a smile but I know how hard that can be sometimes...my vocal "smile" is sometimes hard to detect also.
My wife says my voice might be better for thriller, horror or suspense movie trailers and not chickflick type promos...I could definitely picture your voice in those genres as well....that's my take for what it's worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: