VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue Reactor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: It Arrived Reply with quote

After UPS delivery, just a brief opportunity to open, examine, and plug in to verify multi-pattern operation.

First impression: It is, as often stated, a very heavy mic and more than casually different appearing than any other mic. Cardioid sounds much more mid focused and aggressive compared to Omni.

I look forward to the holiday weekend for time to post a dry recording.

Dave
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew. Tough crowd. Doesn't appear to be a lot of love here for this mic - probably not wise spending a lot of time on this thread lol. However I did promise to post a vocal sample - no EQ here (unusual with my normal mic choice), and very very minimal compression if any at all.

My room is not sound proofed - just wall treatment to knock down superfluous bounce-around sounds. For my voice in my recording space I believe it was a good deal - especially with the SDOTD offering at 40% of street.

All thoughts and comments welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-paton-1/blue-test-1

Dave
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it is all I wrote it was, at least at my ears.

I would like you to try something... place the mic in the Omni pattern (figure of 8 ). and record the same passage.

Now record the same passage on your normal "go-to" mic.

And post.

I believe you will hear the unique differences of which I write more profoundly when comparing apples to apples.

Frank F
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Frank, for taking an interest... Eager to hear feedback of any type.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-paton-1/blue-figure-8-normal-mic

Dave
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something there that shouldn't be there, the technically minded will be able to describe it accurately. Is it awful? No. Is it bad? No. Will it work for most "bread and butter" VO jobs? Yes.
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
There is something there that shouldn't be there, the technically minded will be able to describe it accurately. Is it awful? No. Is it bad? No. Will it work for most "bread and butter" VO jobs? Yes.

Great! Looking forward to this effort taking me from "bread and butter" to "PB&J... and beyond". Laugh
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I hear, the Omni pattern is best for you, your room and the current acoustics. That said, the Reactor would be a good stage microphone, but with it's pronounced mid's and clippy highs this mic lacks the detail your voice requires.

Although there is minor differences between the two mics; your go-to mic does not have the same clippy highs within the Reactor. The mid's are similar and the lack of bass (or body) is noticeable in both microphones.

Will the Blue Reactor work for you? Well, yes - and no. Is it passable... yes and no. Would I consider a better investment. YES!!!!

Last, it is your choice. What do you feel is right and wrong with the Blue vs. the go-to mic? How do you feel about your purchase? Would you do it again? Can you survive (earn a living) with these microphones? Why, and how?

Frank F
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. I agree on the Reactor's Omni pattern – it sounds, for lack of a better word, more “inviting” to me on my voice.

The other mic is an AT4033. I contribute the lack of bass (or body) on all reads based on my voicing 10 inches or so away from the capsules - Over the years I’ve tried a variety of monitors: 2-way 5”, 6.5”, & 8” and 10” 3-way… They all sound “boomy” in my room. Go figure. Hanging fiberglass panels helps acoustics, however I probably need still more panels for an honest bottom end - a lot of my voice resides around 100hz.

I'll add the close miced read later, and I'm most appreciative for all comments that help me get closer to where I need to be.

I’m not ready to throw the Reactor under the bus just yet. My other multi-pattern mic is a Sony C-48, and although some really like it (for apps other than VO), despite it’s much higher cost, it really really lacks detail on my voice…having owned the C-48 for 20 years I’m rather attached to it but it probably should be destined for eBay where someone can benefit more from it.

Years ago I was more successful at VO in part due to sales and marketing efforts. I realize skills often trump tools and I could get by with more talent and fewer tools.

Well, this turned into a lengthy diatribe on my part, didn't it? Sorry... Smile Film at 11.

Dave
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, the ears used to listen to your mic shootout are mine and the mics were listened to just after doing the Stadium of Fire show for the Fourth of July including the concert with Carrie Underwood. There were lots of fireworks and very loud music and speakers were close enough they bounced me off my seat a few times....

Your "booth" could use a little work but is not bad at all. It is a bit bright for my taste but I like what you are doing with it. add some foam (I am specific here) to the mix either in front of your speaking position or in back. This could give you more depth.

Good luck with your choices.

Frank F
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Does it make a better doorstop? Reply with quote

At the risk of driving this somewhat dated thread into total oblivion, I'm providing another (& final) speech sample. There is a bit of processing on the mic this time so that (to my ears - in my room) the Blue Reactor seems better suited for VO.

So, does this make an attractive 1 kg doorstop? Smile

Steam punk gear appearance aside, comments welcome. Thank you for your time.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-paton-2/blue-reactor-test-4

Dave
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I like it better without the processing. (Test 1 ?)
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ellis wrote:
I think I like it better without the processing. (Test 1 ?)

Thank you for listening. I appreciate your feedback.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: