VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acoustic shield?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fireside Grizzly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Acoustic shield? Reply with quote

I am a newbee to the industry. I accepted an offer from an agent just 5 days ago and I'm in the process of sound treating space in my basement. It's a fairly quiet, but large space. I cannot afford expensive equipment at the moment, so I'm making sound panels with extra heavy moving blankets and treating the ceiling above my work area with acoustic tiles. I am wondering about purchasing an acoustic shield to place behind the mic. Any thoughts of the benefits of using an acoustic shield? Worth the $$? Decent recording improvements? I don't want to spend more than I need out of the gate. Thanks for any shared wisdom. Smile

Last edited by Fireside Grizzly on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeadDillo
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh...

Do you have training or any experience in VO? How did you get an agent so quickly?

I ask only because there are a lot of people out there that call themselves agents, but really are only there to take your money.

Are you paying a yearly fee for the services of this agent?

Sorry if I'm a little cautious about this. To answer your questions,
Find a quiet space and get a Kaotica EyeBall. They are great at eliminating extra sounds in the room.

http://kaoticaeyeball.com/buy-kaotica-eyeball.html
Fireside Grizzly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a legitimate agency. Second largest in my state. I have a friend who is represented by the same agency and she played my demos for them. Maybe I'm just lucky. Wink No, I don't pay them anything up front and no contract. Simply commission based on work.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rebecca you might try placing some moving blankets around the area you record. They aren't expensive and work pretty good to get your space to sound acoustically better. Any moving company or maybe HomeDepot would have them. Either suspend them from the ceiling or use some sort of frame to drape them over. You'll just have to move them around a bit to get a good sound in your area.

You could also get some aurelex and experiment with placement too.
Dennis Allen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made something like this - but a little better looking.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-Mini-Vocal-Booth/

I used black foam presentation board (from office supply co.) but did use true acoustical foam (2") from these folks - http://www.thefoamfactory.com/acousticfoam/pyramidfoam.html . I covered the sides, top and desktop with the foam.

Mine is a bit wider than theirs as I use a boom stand versus a desk stand. I used black duct tape on the outside to hold it all together. Wasn't expensive and I've used it for 2 years with no complaints of sound quality, etc.
Fireside Grizzly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Eagle, I have already ordered 4 full size heavy moving blankets. I'm making portable frames for them. Just didn't know if the moving blanket frames are "enough". I was wondering if an acoustic shield in addition would be a wise decision?

Dennis, I've been using a portable box-type foam lined mini-booth during my training phase. The one I made requires the mic actually sit inside the box on a desk stand. I really dislike the desk stand and am switching to a boom stand. I could not figure out a way to configure a treated mini-box to work with a mic on a boom stand. Frown How do you manage that? And curious, but how heavy is the acoustic foam?
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out different placements of the blankets and if it doesn'satisfy get the shield too.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireside Grizzly wrote:
I really dislike the desk stand and am switching to a boom stand. I could not figure out a way to configure a treated mini-box to work with a mic on a boom stand. Frown How do you manage that?

Here is one solution for a "booth on a stand" http://harlanhogan.com/portaboothArticle.shtml
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireside Grizzly wrote:
I have already ordered 4 full size heavy moving blankets. I'm making portable frames for them. Just didn't know if the moving blanket frames are "enough". I was wondering if an acoustic shield in addition would be a wise decision?

I think the wise thing would be to set up the moving blankets, see how that goes, and then, if you need more treatment, make that decision based upon the sound you get with them in place.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy two moving blankets and two of these

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Adjustable-2-Tier-Garment-Rack-Chrome/15627443

Drape the blankets over the top.

Set up one in front of you and one behind you. It will cut your room reflections way down.
Dennis Allen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireside Grizzly wrote:

Dennis, I've been using a portable box-type foam lined mini-booth during my training phase. The one I made requires the mic actually sit inside the box on a desk stand. I really dislike the desk stand and am switching to a boom stand. I could not figure out a way to configure a treated mini-box to work with a mic on a boom stand. Frown How do you manage that? And curious, but how heavy is the acoustic foam?

2 inch foam. I built the "box" and placed it on a table I bought from Walmart that's slightly wider than the "box" itself. Mounted the boom stand on the edge of the table (it was a clamp type assembly). Then, I basically cut a "slot" thru the box so the arm of the stand would slide thru...it's only a couple of inches as the boom stand was about as tall as the box itself.
Fireside Grizzly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone for your input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: