VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

...and the winner of the DUNCE award goes to....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: ...and the winner of the DUNCE award goes to.... Reply with quote

Shocked ME Shocked

Well today was a first... Angry

I had what I guess you could say some unexpected practice time in the studio. I did a read for a 6 minute online flash presentation. The client downloaded the files and called me to say it was a good read but needed a few tweaks...like a TOTAL REDO!!...I read the WRONG script!!! I knew that the script had been revised (overhauled) and I had the revised version but dangit, I worked off of the first version!! Shocked

One must keep a sense of humor!! I realize that my multi-tasking leaves alot to be desired but I am curious if anyone else has done this or ever submitted client "a's" work to client "b".
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad Jeff. I did it with an 8 minute script. Same deal, except with me the revision was emailed to me at the last minute and I didn't see it until after I had recorded and edited the whole thing. I went to email it to the client and saw the new email with the revision sitting there waiting for me. For me it was 3 hours worth of work down the drain just to have to do it all again. I can sympothize man.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your timing couldn't be better (or is it worse?), my friend, because I've got my own dumbassery to report today.

To try and put it in a nutshell: I’d voiced several narrations a year ago for a client with a startup instructional-video business. He’d been happy with me the whole time. Then, no work came in for about a year while he waited to get more funding. No problem, I said, I’ll be here when you’re ready to start back up. Our business relationship had never been anything but friendly and professional.

Last week, he contacts me and tells me it’s ready to roll. I quote him a rate for a 12-minute job, he agrees, I record it and send it. Here’s where my boneheadedness comes into play; the script contained a few passages he didn’t want read quite yet, so that he could confirm and then plug in some numerical values. He sent those values to me today; somehow getting my wires crossed regarding a separate client who had actual additions to a previous script, I replied to the first client advising of a nominal fee for the “additions” (which were actually part of what I’d already quoted him and been paid for).

He went ballistic, saying that this was too much, he was still paying out of pocket and that he was tired of all his other business partners screwing him over. I looked at the original arrangement, realized my mistake, and replied with profuse apologies: I let him know there were no extra charges, that I wasn't trying to "soak" him, and that I'd even give him a reduced rate for future projects. He was not mollified, and ended his last e-mail saying that he was done with the whole project. I replied and even offered to refund part of the original payment, letting him know that I’d much rather make a bit less money and keep a long-term client than to lose one over a miscommunication or a price haggle.

No response so far, and I don’t expect there will be one. So, it looks like I’ve lost what promised to be (and had been) a very well-paying, long-term gig due to a momentary lapse of concentration.

The lesson --- written here more for my benefit than for any of yours, as I’m sure most of you are already quite rightly calling me a numbskull --- is “keep track of your client communications”. It should be obvious, but I certainly could have used a reminder this morning.

"So please, a little respect; for I am Costanza, Lord of the Idiots."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking off your agreement for a mistake seems a bit harsh and " all his other business partners screwing him over" sounds paranoiac.
You may be well rid of him.
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right, Deebs. He seemed to be taking it all very personally. Still, it was my mistake that sparked the whole thing, and I'm willing to make at least some accomodations for longterm clients.

I'm hoping he was simply having a "case of the Mondays" and that we'll handshake it back into place tomorrow. If not, life goes on...

UPDATE: I was right about the "bad day syndrome". All is well and back on track. Bullet dodged.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: