VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

skype phone patch when using dedicated computer to record
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: skype phone patch when using dedicated computer to record Reply with quote

I'm considering purchasing a second basic Mac Mini to dedicate to recording only.

The question is, how do you do a Skype phone patch (or run IPDTL or Source Connect) when you are recording on one computer, and running all of your programs on the other.......?

Signal chain is mic>pre-amp>Focusrite Forte>DAW
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know this one!

I used this tutorial: http://www.voicedbyglen.com/skype-phone-patch.html

to use my ipad for a skype phone patch and my computer just for recording. But I think it will work to hook up to a computer instead of an ipad. It works like a charm for me, and I can record the skype call on a separate track from what is going into mic mic.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixer with 2 outputs would do. Youcould use the Forte on the recording computer and just use the built-in input for Skype...though for SC and ipDTL you'd want another good interface.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with using the built-in input on Skype I'm wondering how they would hear me since my computer will be on my desk and I'll be in the booth with my mic which is connected to the pre/Forte?

(BTW I pretty much turn into a dizzy blonde when it comes to things like this) cool
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make life easier and get a mixer to do a proper mix-minus, and treat the 2nd computer just like you would an ISDN or phone hybrid. That'd be my preference.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh, would that mean also having to get a phone patch (again)?
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's what the other computer is for.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing the 2-computer Skype juggle as well. I've already done some Skype-patched sessions using a cheap headset plugged into a Skype-dedicated laptop, and just trusting that my DAW is recording on the other computer without problems from the real mic. But there's no way I can play anything back for the client, plus I would far rather hear the actual microphone signal on my headphones. So I'm going to try an experiment.

I don't have a mixer, but I do have a headphone amp with multiple channels. I am going to run a line from the headphone amp to the mic input jack on the Skype-dedicated laptop and see if I can make that work (wearing headphones plugged into the Skype-dedicated computer, but with the microphone input part of the Skype call now coming from my DAW) I don't think there would be any feedback or other problems with this as long as I replace the full headset with just headphones. At worst, I'll have wasted 5 bucks on a 1/4" to 1/8" patch cable. At best I will have saved a few hundred bucks on a mixer.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done Skype/TW on same Mac with playback capabilities sans mixer or using built-in audio hardware with a clever combination of Sound Flower and LadioCast.
Something like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2nndwmuoy6xlgd/Ladiocast-DAWtoSkype.jpg
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting more and more Skype patch requests, so I thought I'd dive in..

question. on one computer, no mixer.. I'm using a Scarlett 6i6.. isn't it possible to record to input one in TW, headphone monitor input one.. and set up Skype to input thru the Scarlett and output thru the Scarlett. ? I should be able to hear the caller, have them here me recording, and have them the playback ?

Also, I set up a Skype number. with Skype to Skype, is this number necessary? better to call the client initially or have them call you with this number? I'm not clear on all of this.. Lee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
Also, I set up a Skype number. with Skype to Skype, is this number necessary? better to call the client initially or have them call you with this number? I'm not clear on all of this.. Lee

I had a Skype number a few years ago, and if it works the same way as it did earlier, then people contacting you via Skype should just use your Skype ID like always. People calling you on the phone should use the Skype number. In fact, you can give it out as a regular old "phone number" for people to call, no need to mention Skype at all when referring to it. (unless you have a terrible internet connection and drop calls, in which case disclosure about the issue would be a reasonable courtesy.)

Oh! And as a postscript to my attempt at patching in the second laptop through the headphone amp - it did not go well. But at least I have yet another cable that I'll never use again!
Dave Waters
Contributor II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping in mind that Skype "hears" only what is on Channel 1/left, my setup is extremely simple and works flawlessly.

I use a Scarlett 2i4 with a Mackie 402vlz. Everything goes through the mixer and the mixer output goes to Channel 1 of the Scarlett - BUT - you only need the mixer if you want to playback recorded audio from your DAW. Otherwise, you can simply run your mic into Channel 1 of your sound card/Scarlett and a mixer is not necessary.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ua8ms15agiprwvc/Skype-Setup.jpg?dl=0

Just make sure your Skype Microphone is set to your sound card (Scarlett in this example). The "Ringing" and "Speaker" settings are optional. By the way, this setting works for ipDTL, too.

If you want to send recorded audio from your DAW:
(1) Take the channel 2 output from your sound card and run it into channel 2 of your mixer.
(2) Now, everything will be routed into Channel 1 of your sound card/Scarlett which makes Skype happy.

I can't speak for other mixers, but the Mackie is quality at a good price.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Waters wrote:

I use a Scarlett 2i4 with a Mackie 402vlz. Everything goes through the mixer and the mixer output goes to Channel 1 of the Scarlett - BUT - you only need the mixer if you want to playback recorded audio from your DAW.

If you want to send recorded audio from your DAW:
(1) Take the channel 2 output from your sound card and run it into channel 2 of your mixer.
(2) Now, everything will be routed into Channel 1 of your sound card/Scarlett which makes Skype happy.

I see where you routed the Ch 2 output of the interface back into Ch 2 of the mixer, which eventually gets routed to Ch 1, to play back recorded audio,

But I don't see where you mic is plugged in.. you have 1/4" going into the Mic Input 1 on the Scarlett, and I also don't see where you have your main monitor outs coming from..

I don't know why Im having a hard time wrapping my head around this..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dave Waters
Contributor II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mic goes through a pre-amp and then line out into Channel 1 of the Mackie. That's why you don't see an XLR.

The Scarlett 2i4 actually has 2 Main Outs (1/4" as seen on right in photo) and 4 other line outputs (RCA as seen in photo). I use the 1/4" outs for monitors and the 2nd RCA output (which is right channel) to feed to Channel 2 of the Mackie.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aztxg0ev32ammod/Scarlet%202i4%20Back.jpg?dl=0

If you only have 2 outputs on your sound card, you could probably "Y" the main right channel out.

Hope this helps.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave

So,

1) preamp/mic to input 1 Mackie
2) rca out of Scarlett to input 2 Mackie. (Recorded audio playback)
3) output 1 and 2 from Mackie to input 1 Scarlett

Since I have the Scarlett 6i6, I have 4 1/4" outputs...I guess Scarlett out 1and2 go to main monitor, Scarlett out 3 goes to input 2 Mackie.

Does that sound right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: