VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

who does your web hosting?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: who does your web hosting? Reply with quote

greetings all.

been away and not even lurking for far too long. seems like i'm either slammed with work or sitting around wondering what i did to anger the gods. nothing in between.

anyway, i come to this font of knowledge and experience for recommendations on reliable website hosting. i am currently paying a company way too much for not enough space and, as i've come to find out the hard way, inept technical administrators. seems like until just recently, no one using earthlink could reach me. after much frustration that finally got fixed, but that's too long a story for this post.

some folks i've asked locally suggest 'godaddy'. someone else suggested i bundle into my bellsouth dsl account.

what say you?

currently looking for a new home for www.voices2go.com

thanks to any and all.

rg
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using NetFronts and don't have any complaints.
Any time I have problems the are quick to respond and fix it.
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello stranger!

I use iPower and while it may not be the cheapest game in town, I have never had issues for the 3 years I have used them.

http://www.ipower.com/
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoDaddy.com is the host for this site and board.
Rock solid and inexpensive.

Edatarack hosts DB-Cooper.com. I've had some server issues, but their tech support is top-notch.
$3 per month for 5 gigs of space, 150 Gigs transfer.

Incidentally, Rowell, it's good to see you.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome home Rowell...

I have used 1and 1 as my host for several years now. No problems...at least that I didn't create myself dinking around...but when I did I just called (toll free 24/7) customer service for live competent technical support.

Price ($2.24 a month) is pretty competitive as well.Right now they have what they call a "beginner special" which may be everything you would need... www.1and1.com/?k_id=6630053 ...here's the blurb from their website

$2.24 month
1&1 Beginner
5 GB web space
500 e-mail accounts
250 GB traffic

The 1&1 Linux Beginner package is the perfect way to get started on the Internet. Includes e-mail, a free domain name and free phone support, so there are no additional costs.

Also included:

1&1 WebsiteBuilder
1&1 Blog
1&1 Photo Gallery
Virus & Spam Guard
Search Engine Tools
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowell,

I've used Powweb ( http://powweb.com ) for 4 years. They have one price ($7.77 per month) and for that you get 20 Gigs of server space, 400 Gigs of transfer each month, a free domain name, 24/7 support (which I've had to use very little in 4 years, but has been excellent every time I have needed it) and community forums as additional support.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare Earth Interactive Design
www.rareearthinteractive.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used godaddy for several sites without issue.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we're pimpin our webhosts again, I use:

Project Hive

No complaints from me but the tech support is a bit lacking if you require lots of assistance.
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks to all. i have a little time to decide before the current contract is up, so will be appreciative of any and all opinions posted here.

again, DB - thank you for the valuable resource you provide. it's one of the first things i tell people to check out when they call me about getting into voice work.
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm. I usually send them to http://www.voicetalkers.com.

I keed, I keed.
ronphi
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to reopen this thread but I have been looking in the archives and haven't found the information I need. I am getting ready to build my first web site. I would like to do it for free (since I have no money coming in from VO I would rather start small and build as funds permit).

It seems that (bandwidth required = site size X number of visits) but I really have no idea what a site size is going to be. I am not planning on any fancy presentations just now, probably a basic single page with contact information and demo link.

Firefox lets me see some basic informaton about page size. Most of the pages I visited show a size of generally less than 30KB. But in a lot of cases when an image is present the image size is larger than that of the page. Also, if my practice audio files are typical, a full demo is going to be fairly large in comparison to the actual web site. How do these things figure into the equation? Is there a good rule-of-thumb for size calculation?

I have looked at some of the free hosting companies. The best I have found so far gives 30MB storage and 10GB/month bandwidth. Also personalized domain name, 5 email accounts and 2GB email storage.

Am I wasting my time with the free sites as a starter or am I picking at nits given the price of the sites mentioned in this post?

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urging for investment in the radio in the 1920s.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

I think the key downside to a free site is that they almost always require some kind of ad placement on your site; which means you're not going to have a professional look to your site. Or, maybe more correctly, not as professional as you could.

Since your site is going to be your virtual face to the entire globe it should be about answering this question, and only this question: If I'm looking for a voiceover talent and I find your site, why should I hire you? Having someone else's ads on your site is doing to detract from answering that question.

Just something to think about while you're weighing your options.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. It's worth the fees (relatively low, as shown above) to have a site that gives you complete control of everything on the page.

Net-savvy people who browse your site and see banner ads will immediately think "amateur". Believe me, I understand not having much $ to invest at the outset, but bona-fide web hosting is a worthwhile expense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A company named "A Small Orange" in Atlanta is excellent. Their smallest package is $25 a year. That's right..a year. With a "Tiny" account you get 75 MB of space and 3GB bandwidth a month. No banner ads, FTP, subdomains the works. For a bit over $2 a month you have a web host! You can also increase your account as your needs arise. I have a backup site and a local band site with them and they are excellent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: