VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unusual place to get paid
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Unusual place to get paid Reply with quote

Tim is Canadian. He works in Dubai. A few days ago I voice a couple of commercials for him. Rather than doing this through his company it was a job he was doing in his own time. All went well. To transfer money to me his bank was going to charge $30 - Daylight robbery. Western Union it is!

A couple of hours ago I went to collect my pay from the Chemists in Buckie, where else?
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife yells at me, well... for many things (probably deservedly so) but the thing she yells at me annually for is using the debit card to pay for groceries etc because the bank charges .50 a pop. Well you start looking at the charges ( doing nothing else than having a software program do its job unattended) one accrues and it’s like $200-$300 a year (at .50 a pop).

ALSO highway robbery.

And what I am most pissed about is I am as of yet unable to figure out how I can profit off this dastardly scheme Laugh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audio'connell wrote:
using the debit card to pay for groceries etc because the bank charges .50 a pop.

WHA!?!? Is that normal? I can't recall the last time I used my debit card.

We put all of our monthly expenses (groceries, gas, etc) on the AmEx which gives a percetage back to us. It helps that my wife and I are both motivated enough to pay the card off each and every single month.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Unusual place to get paid Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Western Union it is!

I also have a client in Dubai who uses the Western Union route for payment. He used to be in Lebanon and we used the same method then as well.

My closest Western Union is less than two blocks away, so I take a stroll down there with my German Shepherd dog clearing away any riff-raff and discouraging pan handlers. I live on the southern edge of a very nice part of town (I call it Baja Kensington), and the Western Union is located on one of San Diego's most infamous "lady of the day or night" streets - El Cajon Blvd.
Sameer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,Dubai has everything "big" about it.....big malls...biggest hotel.....so it applies to charges as well Smile
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audio'connell wrote:
My wife yells at me, well... for many things (probably deservedly so) but the thing she yells at me annually for is using the debit card to pay for groceries etc because the bank charges .50 a pop. Well you start looking at the charges ( doing nothing else than having a software program do its job unattended) one accrues and it’s like $200-$300 a year (at .50 a pop).

ALSO highway robbery.

And what I am most pissed about is I am as of yet unable to figure out how I can profit off this dastardly scheme Laugh

Yikes Peter!

Sounds like its time to find a new bank!!! I haven't paid a debit card fee in years...all the major banks here in Houston (Wells Fargo, Chase, Bank One, Wachovia) dumped them long ago. Worth a lot more than a toaster these days!

Dave
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing about debit/check cards:

When you present it, the cashier/clerk asks you "Debit or credit?" They're not asking you if it's a debit card or a credit card - they're asking you "how would you like to use this thing?"

If you say "debit," then it's used as an ATM card to pay for your purchase, in which case there's a fee from your bank - much like there's a fee for using non-network ATMs (for most banks).

If you say "credit", then it's used via the VISA/MASTERCARD network just like a credit card and BOOM - no fee from your bank.

Hope that helps.

-Anthony
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, after I saw the title of the thread, I figured Banksey was handed an envelope of cash in a back room somewhere.

Anyway, as mentioned earlier, it depends on your particular bank as far as debit card use fees. For our main checking account, there has never been a fee for debit card use. On the other hand, I wasn't thinking and used my other debit card at a supermarket once and there was that pesky .50 fee for doing so. As I said, I did it ONCE.

Hey, sometimes it's easier to punch in four numbers than sign your name.
Doc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just do what I do. I keep all my active accounts at a credit union. NO fees, except printed checks or ISF. There are, however, fees associated with using ATM machines not affiliated with the particular credit union. But, there's never a useage fee for using the debit option.

What's more, I get FREE bill paying service which not only saves me postage, but mileage to the P.O. And, I get great interest rates on loans, etc.

I've been with my credit union now for more than 15 years and couldn't be happier.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: credit union it is for me too Reply with quote

I have used a credit union for all my banking for over 30 years and there are no fees for use of ATM/debit card. It is Visa ATM/debit card so if they ask me "debit or credit" I say credit and it is guaranteed as a Visa payment in case of fraud.

I don't have nay ATM fees either if I use an ATM with a Star on it.

Dump the bank. Why pay fees?

Greg
CWToo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fee for using a debit card may not be from your bank, but rather from the merchant.

At our doggie daycare (www.wagsdoggiedaycare.com) we get hit with an extra fee if a client wants debit. So we don't ask We just press the "credit" button and get on with it.

Some merchants add a couple of cents on debit purchases to cover the extra expense.

AmEx is another expensive credit card for mechants and you will find that some merchants will charge extra for you to use it.

But mostly, I'd change banks. Being charged a transaction fee for your debit card is so 1980's.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banks are so competitive here that there's never a charge to use your ATM card at any store or their own ATM's, and a newer bank is offering to pay the ATM fees you incur using other banks ATM's.

I've never understood merchants who gripe so much about the bank fees on ATM and credit card charges. It's a cost of doing business (all 2 to 4% of it) and you just build it in to your sale prices. As this world goes more and more digital merchants won't have a choice anymore. I pay my PayPal charges gladly knowing I've got the cash in hand NOW.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me as another happy credit union custom, not only for my personal accounts, but for my business accounts as well. I save over $150 per year on monthly service charges alone since switching from a bank to a credit union for my business accounts.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else remember when banks first started issuing ATM cards (early 80's if memory serves) and said it was a "cost savings" and some banks in fact started charging "teller fees" if you went into the bank and bothered their staff to get to your money?

gotta luv the WAMU commercials too. cool
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
started charging "teller fees" if you went into the bank and bothered their staff to get to your money?

Oh Bill.... have you learned nothing from your dealings with banks? Rolls Eyes

I'm sorry, but it's not YOUR money... silly man!! It's the money of the share holders, and the shareholders must realize quarterly profits in the billions, in order to fuel their jets and feed their prize winning poodles! Get Lost

Argg!!!

Banks drive me insane (interesting how the initiator of this thread has the last name of Banks Wink )...

I recently recieved a memo from my bank informing me that my business account was receiving some changes... From now on, I am allowed to deposit up to $2000 per month "free of charge"... oh, isn't that nice of them. After I use my free $2000 / month, I will be charged an additional $2.00 per $1000 deposited! Hmmm... let me think about this... for the privledge of giving my bank MY money so that they can then turn around and lend it out at an interest rate of between 5.25 and 21.5 %, they have the balls to charge me a service fee of $2.00 / $1000 deposited!!!! Angry Oh yeah, did I mention that this is over and above $15.00 / month that I pay them for the privledge of using their ATM (I'm charged $0.75 each time I say hello to an actual live person!)

I love banks! or in order to remove any confusion with our beloved Mr. Phillip Banks of Port Gordon, should we refer to them as Financial Institutions?

Just a little rant! Undecided

Cheers,

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: