VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimal computer-screen size for efficient VO recording/edit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GunslingerWriting
Contributor II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Minimal computer-screen size for efficient VO recording/edit Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm looking at a quite-powerful Dell XPS 13 notebook computer for various voiceover projects and am wondering about opinions on the minimum screen size recommended for effective and efficient recording and editing. Some of the work will be while mobile and travelling but I'd also like to hear of opinions on the smallest screen size suggested for day-to-day home-studio use.

I know that a couple+ years ago George Whittam had high praise for the Dell Mini 10" but I wasn't sure if that was suited only for portable work or if something of that reduced size could be used, if necessary, for a few weeks at a time while in one studio location.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
GSW
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use dual screens. 21.5" for my iMac (on the left) and 27" external on the right. I edit and record and do accounting (and other things like photo stuff) on the bigger screen, and do email and web browsing on the smaller. I use a 15" when I'm away from home...but that is almost never.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that there is a "one size fits all" answer to the question in the original post. The eyesight and vision qualities of the user make a big difference.

If you are only going to edit spoken word (a.k.a. voice-over) and only in mono (maybe a dual or stereo recording now and then) then small screen may not be an issue. But if you are going to edit multi-track music you may want to see the frog-hairs and warts buried down in the file a bit better.

If you are going to edit spoken work, but that includes four people in a studio doing "talk" including some debate like the folks on Sunday morning TV like Meet The Press, we're back to being able to see the peach-fuzz and cucumber seeds in the overlapping voices.

If you have a good clear voice and projects well, and you do not have a lot of artifacts (a.k.a. mouth clicks, etrc) then small screen will do very well. I have done a bit of work on a 9 inch screen.... but I don't like doing it.

If you have a voice that seems to collect audible lint and fuzz and you are patient and tedious enough to take out the worst offenders, you will possibly want a larger screen.
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^ What you say makes perfect sense. Reading your post suggests you were either working on your grocery list or doing laundry. Wink Laugh

Dave
GunslingerWriting
Contributor II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, gentlemen, for your replies.

Given that "small" and "large" are subjective terms, could I ask you to give me an idea of the smallest approximate screen size that you feel would be appropriate for the various situations you've outlined in your answers?

That way, I'll be totally clued in to what may be the lowest point I'd want to approach for the types of work performed.

Again, thanks so much.

Regards,
GSW
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's your eyesight, and how far away is your head from the display? If you're like me, and haven't gotten around to new glasses in a while but don't want to sit with your nose against the screen, get a big one.

23" or so screen is nice, according to my eyes.

Just remember that screen size will not make your audio any better. I have four displays here for editing and other non-audio tasks (three side to side, one directly above the main middle one) and I *still* pump out worthless crap audio.
GunslingerWriting
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I'm wondering about the smallest end of the scale in numerical terms (inches) based on the recording scenarios mentioned by the previous responents.

"Given that "small" and "large" are subjective terms, could I ask you to give me an idea of the smallest approximate screen size that you feel would be appropriate for the various situations you've outlined in your answers?

That way, I'll be totally clued in to what may be the lowest point I'd want to approach for the types of work performed. "

My eyes, with corrective lenses, are quite fine for both distance and close-up/reading distance. And I'd have the screen as close as I needed to in order to accommodate the smallest-recommended screen.

I'm trying to get a feel for whether folks think, for example, that a 13" screen would work for daily use over a month or so of travel or whether others have found a 10"-11" screen quite fine for such a routine.
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People work on iPads all the time.

I find my 15 inch laptop about the smallest I can enjoy.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my copy is read from a fist gen iPad... all my editing is done on a 23" cinema display. I tried a 19" once... did not like it at all but probably could have got used to it.

I think the point is that we get used to stuff. There is no need for me to use a pair of 23" screens for editing (and I really, really, really want the 30")... but it's easy and I've become used to the real estate. When I use my laptop (13" MacBook) it hurts... it really hurts for a while, and it's never going to work well for me, even with practice.

Maybe I could learn to live with a 17". Maybe.
GunslingerWriting
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much!

I'm somewhere off the beaten track right now and can't get my hands on a 13" for a few days of trial but am wondering this:

Do you feel that, if necessary, that screen size permits enough space for decent "field of view" in terms of editing and lets you visually take in enough of what's going on to get it done?
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working from the road (as I am now) I'm quite satisfied with my Macbook Air 11". At home it's dual 24" LCD's all the way.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GunslingerWriting
Contributor II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, George; I was hoping you'd weigh in.

It was from your long-ago endorsement of the Dell Mini 10 as a suitable ultra-compact road computer that I first tried it and found it much more effective for writing than I'd have imagined.

I just wasn't sure how that general screen size would work for recording/editing, so I do appreciate hearing your 11" Mac endorsement here.

Regars,
GSW
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I wrong in thinking the initial question posted here is a little like asking, "What size shirt should I wear?" The answers you get from differently sized friends who say, "Well, I wear a ..." are irrelevant. Sometimes it's best to just go to the store and try something on.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
GunslingerWriting
Contributor II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are wrong.

As I indicated above, "I'm somewhere off the beaten track right now and can't get my hands on a 13" for a few days of trial but am wondering this:"

In addition, I've found the answers to be of particular and significant help in accomplishing my objective, which was to simply hear of others' experiences so that, as a smart and intuitive guy, I could extrapolate and glean an idea of how their answers may relate to my own potential needs.

From my perspective, this was a most worthy Q&A and I sincerely thank the respondents.

Regards,
GSW
AlanTaylor
Contributor II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 13" MacBook. Running Twisted Wave, I can magnify the file to view any mouth clicks, etc and eliminate them. Works fine for me. Hope that helps...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: