VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snagged a cheaper Audient iD22

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Snagged a cheaper Audient iD22 Reply with quote

I've wanted to give this little unit a go to see if it really could do what I wanted. I wanted it to be capable of replacing my preamp, mixer and interface while allowing me to do mix minus playback for Skype AND use one of the "F" buttons for a cough button.

Well I got one, and I can positively confirm that it does this 100%. The only issue I have with it (and it is a TINY issue) is that the HPF that is built in is 100hz. Other than that, this unit is EASILY set up to do everything I did with my mixer PLUS being able to use any of the F buttons as a cough button. Now I'm set to do full Skype with playback sessions in the road. Just need a mic and my laptop and we are GOLDEN!

Sounds pretty darn good too.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Congrats! Reply with quote

Congrats Jason on your great deal.

Thought you would like the unit Laugh

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
lapdog12

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one as well, bought it new but got a good deal on it. It's my one-stop-shop. i have my mics go directly into it and then right into my computer.

I also have set up the Skype mix/minus. I haven't used it yet, but it's set up. I'm planning on getting a Skype phone number so people can call me if needed.

It's not just a decent travel set up! Have fun with it.
Steve Knight
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,..here's my next question,...how does it get along with Source connect??
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plays very well with SC. I have done at least 10 sessions with it with zero problems. One item to note is that the input from SC come into ALL the DAW channels on the interface...which makes mix-minus hard without routing out from the built-in output on the mac into channel 2, and then routing that to your cue mixes in the iD22 software. My client had slapback on our first session before I realized what was going on. This doesn't happen in Skype because Skype goes to a single Stereo DAW channel (just like the system audio), so it is easy to split it out into Cue mixes.

Though...the whole point of the SC application is that the client records on their end. So you really don't have to worry about mix-minus playback, because you usually aren't recording anything! I've never used SC for phone patch...too much latency. Problem solved by just setting the iD22 as the input in SC and it just picks up Input 1 on the interface.

Headed into a SC session right now!
tombrom
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say mix minus? Does that mean you can hear the person on Skype but he is not recorded? This sounds very handy as I often have to do Skype/Google Voice with headset, but not hearing my own voice.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Skype input comes from the audio interface, as well as the Skype output (going TO the interface) .. an additional feed from the audio interface needs to go back into Skype via mixer so the client can hear playback of what was recorded.. mix minus would be muting the client on the other end, as you are recording. which, in my case is critical because the Skype phone # I purchased (and use infrequently) is horribly noisy.. Skype to Skype seems to be clean and clear.. that's how I understand it, anyway..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Skype patch you are describing, Tom, is a basic setup that any interface can do. Mix-minus refers to (as Capt said) playback of recorded audio. To send audio back to the client on the call you have to remove their own send from the mix. So you send back your voice (as normal) but then send the output of your system back to them "minus" their signal (which you need in YOUR output to hear them).

My Skype phone number is crystal clear and I use it all the time.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
Mix-minus refers to (as Capt said) playback of recorded audio. To send audio back to the client on the call you have to remove their own send from the mix.

My Skype phone number is crystal clear and I use it all the time.

I thought mix minus was muting the listener/client on the remote end, as you are recording? ...because Skype doesn't have multiple ins and outs, you can't put, say you on channel 1, and the client on channel 2, and then mute channel 2 during recording. So as it stands you are both "mixed" together on the input. Having the client hear the playback is simply routing the output channel playback from the recording software back into Skype for the client review.

Yea, the Skype phone number for me is practically unusable. The staticy connection nearly blew a job for me when the static got recorded to the actual session
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that is done by just setting the input of your DAW to your mic instead of the output from Skype. Then you just send the output of Skype to your headphones plus you just monitor your input. This way you hear yourself and the client but only record your voice. The problem comes when you try to play back to the client without some way of routing the signal correctly. You end up with the client getting slap back of their own voice. So you need to send the mix minus the clients voice.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audient actually has great tutorials for setting up a mix minus with skype and recording skype interviews for podcasts. I'm interested if anyone with the id22 routes theirs differently.

https://audient.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201763585-Voice-Over-with-Remote-Client-Skype-Configuration

https://audient.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202765573

I don't have one myself, but it's definitely at the top of my list of upgrades!
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested, there's a variant for configuring the id22 with Skype so that you can record the person on the other end of the line AND playback anything they want to give a listen to. In their words:

Quote:
This configuration will allow a voice artist to have full two way communications with someone via Skype, while being able to record themselves as well as the other person should they desire. Duplicate signals and feedback are avoided and there is complete control over what each person will hear.

This would be useful for someone doing voice over wanting to have the client/producer directing them remotely, or recording a Skype interview for a podcast, or even a vocal session for a band with a remote producer/band members.

It requires an optical cable. I don't know whether they've put this one up on their website or not, but you can download it here: http://wfurl.com/502907f

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: