VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bass trap question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Bass trap question Reply with quote

At the moment, I have two bass traps, each about two feet tall. My booth is about seven feet tall. I assume the ideal place to mount them, if I'm going with only those two, is roughly head height, which would be between four and six feet off the ground. But I don't know this to be a certainty. Is there some other way I should be determining where to place them? Thanks.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most bass traps are better placed low and in corners (in front of where your mouth projects). That said, listen closely to your booth, it will tell you what you need and where. Place the traps where you are thinking, recorde a few minutes, and listen.

Move the traps and repeat the above scenario. Do it again until you find the location which best suits your needs and booth.

Frank F
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was poking about John Sayers' forum ( http://johnlsayers.com ) trying to get some answers for my own booth build and acoustic treatment questions and I vaguely recall someone saying that the tri-corners (i.e., the top corners or bottom corners where three wall/ceiling/floor surfaces intersect) are more critical than the dual corners (where two walls/surfaces intersect). This kinda fits with what Frank is saying, and I have learned that Frank is... well, learned Laugh
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank speaks rightly. I actually managed it for a while with triangular foam pillows, just to experiment with what would work where before sinking money into more expensive solutions.

Last edited by ccpetersen on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LASoundPanels makes a very affordable tri-corner bass trap
http://lasoundpanels.com/our-panels
If you've got the space for them they provide huge bang for the buck.
You'll get the most out of your 2' tall traps if you place them at microphone level, since they will also act as broad-band absorbers.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Soundgun: "...since they will also act as broad-band absorbers."

Yes, if that is what you are looking for Lee: Broadband absorbtion.

Small rooms/booths are notorious for being bassy and boomy; mids and highs are usually not a problem. Transients may also pose a potential concern in a small cubbyhole.

Use your ears.

A well placed bass trap will decrease the boominess and save your sound from the mud of low frequencies. Listen to what your recording enclosure needs rather than accept the suggestions of others who have NEVER heard the inside of your space. And yes, that includes me.

A lot depends upon wether you are sitting or standing, desk or copy stand, glass or drywall (or MDF or whatever)...

You can find out more about your space by listening rather than reading others opinions.

A couple peices of foam squares placed one to two inches from the backing wall/hard reflective surface - at mic height will attenuate the broadband reflections (if any) easily and the foam is much less unsighlty or bulky.

Frank F
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody for the input. Just by way of background, the booth as it currently stands is practically square (37" wide by 41" deep) and 80" high (all interior dimensions) and all the walls are drywall with no acoustic treatment yet applied. The room sounded pretty nice when all the walls consisted of exposed Roxul, but now it sounds like a cave.

In addition to the two bass traps, which are corner traps, I also have four sheets of Auralex-like material that are 20" x 31", four sheets that are 16" by 16", and one sheet that is actual Auralex that is 24" x 28", and I have four furniture blankets. Because the booth is only as wide as the doors, I have, essentially, only the back corners in which to mount the traps. I figured I'd install those first and then arrange the rest of the foam in the remaining available space.

Based upon your responses, it sounds like I'm not off the mark in thinking those traps can be mounted at approximately microphone height (I'll either work standing or sitting on a tall bar stool, depending on how cramped it gets in there) and if it turns out I need even more traps, I can always add them.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit Lee, you already have all your drywall up? Looks like I'm not going to beat you after all. Sure you don't want to take a break, sit back and rest on yer laurels a week or two? Laugh

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started this project over a year ago. I've been resting on my laurels long enough. I need to be finished before Faffcon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: