VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking at the Jim Williams High Speed Mic Pre? Check it!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Looking at the Jim Williams High Speed Mic Pre? Check it! Reply with quote

So I was talking with Jim about modding my DBX 286a and what to expect. I also asked him how it would compare the his HSMP since he is swapping components and (I assume) he would would use similar ones. He then told me that he could just swap the preamp card in the DBX with the preamp card from his HSMP and then upgrade the signal path to essentially copy the HSMP but with only a single channel and the added functionality of the DBX 286a. I also asked if he could drop the HPF on the DBX to 65hz (instead of the stock 80hz) because I don't have any noise higher than that. He said no problem.

Then I asked him for a grand total for everything....$250! SO...I'll be sending in my DBX 286a and receiving back a High Speed Mic Pre with a compressor, de-esser, LF and HF enhance and expander/gate. Not a bad deal if you ask me. I'll post some before and after audio once the process is undertaken.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at the Jim Williams High Speed Mic Pre? Check i Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
I'll post some before and after audio once the process is undertaken.

IF YOU DO .....

Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me dense but ya lost me Smile
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies. In joke "I shall call a Constable".
Bob Stevens
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be interested in hearing your review Jason.

That same mod has crossed my mind several times. Turns out I found a good deal on a used HSMP and never went with the DBX idea. Still intrigues me though.

My almost alternative, Ross Martin Audio (rossmartinaudio.com) in addition to making the best (and most reasonably priced) ADC on the market makes a "Silent Knight" 2 ch pre and will upgrade it with Jim's HSMP cards. $530 complete. It is supposed to rock.

The Ross PCM4222 ADC with a SPIDIF -USB 24 bit 96k costs ~$450 It is the ADC used by Sony Records.

The Ross website is funky, the wait times are generally long but his gear highly sought after and he highly recommends Jim's pre's.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Stevens on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does one need such a speedy preamp? How fast can you possibly talk?
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Soundgun writes: "Why does one need such a speedy preamp?"

+1 to you George.

I think it is kind of like owning a Ferrari to drive to the grocery store....

Just my thoughts.

Frank F
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would drive a Ferrari to the grocery store if it was $1000...wouldn't you? Would there be a reason not to? Why not have a better sounding cleaner preamp? The DBX is hardly an amazing sounding pre. Very useable, but not awesome.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a Ferrari for a Grand, I dont think it would be worth driving to the store.... Let alone make it to the store.

Good luck.

FF
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're just adding variables to the analogy that didn't originally exist. The point is, if you had a choice between a DBX 286a and a HSMP for the preamp ONLY...I don't believe there would be much debate.

Are you suggesting that replacing the pre card in the dbx with the HSMP card and upgrading the components in the signal path would be analogous to buying a completely trashed Ferrari that doesn't run?
Voxman
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, like Bob I'll too be waiting for your review. Like many out there, I too have a DBX 286a that does get used sometimes. Many make an income from the 286a and if it can be made to sound better, then I say, bring it on.
Cheers
Peter
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am saying is: save your money.

Most mods are marginal with audio equipment. Will the fix be worth money? I own modded equipment, by many top name modders, and only about 20% of the "upgraded" equipment was worth the price of the modification.

Jim Williams mods are top notch as far as what he does to a piece of audio equipment. But if I am spending $750.00 for the original part and another $500,00 for the modification the upgrade equipment should now be worth $1250.00 or more. No? Yes!

However if I could spend $800.00 for an already great sounding piece of gear vs. the $1250.00 investing in a mod and not have to send my gear off for a couple of weeks of waiting time, paying shipping and insurance, and dreaming about the sound; which would I do?

Driving a $200,000.00 Ferrari to the grocery store at 25 mph is the mod. Buying a nice consumer car which has more than a small glove box to carry my groceries is the great sounding piece of gear for which I paid a fair price.

Audio equipment purchaces are in a lot of ways like golf. "It is a game which can never be won, only played".

Frank F
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. If those were my numbers, that would absolutely make sense. I personally bought the DBX for $80 and the mod is $250 total, so $330 is MUCH less than $1250. I'll probably still purchase a great pre when I have the extra money, but for now, I can afford $250 on a potential upgrade.

Aren't most mods just the replacement of components with higher quality components? Shouldn't replacing the pre card be similar to a capsule replacement on a mic?

I have limited knowledge and have done very limited mods.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still replacing components. Basically changing electrolytic caps and resistors with metal versions and tweaking the specifications a little.

In this case the FET's will likely be replaced as well with a more efficient version. There is no circuit re-design involved - which would be tantamount to changing the capsule. You do not usually just change the capsule alone on a microphone. Often (at least with the best modders) the FET's are changed and re-calibrated to the circuit.

F2
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So am mistaken in thinking that replacing the pre card with another pre card is a circuit redesign? I'm not just talking about the standard mod...I am specifically talking about replacing the DBX pre with a HSMP pre card. I'm not arguing, just trying to see if we are talking about the same thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: