VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to buy the mic!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Time to buy the mic! Reply with quote

The studio is in development. Slowly but surely. Just got me a nice Mackie board (slightly used) and now I want to buy a very good mic. Anyone want to give me their Top 5 list of the best mics for VO? Say $5,000 and under...??

Glenn
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I wish I had your mic budget. If I had that kind of cash I would be looking at the Neumann mics, like the M147, M149, the U87, maybe the Sennheiser MKH 416 Shotgun since a lot of people like it too. I've recorded on the M149 and I liked it but can't speak for the others than what I've read.

I would also compare them to a few less expensive mics. You may very well find that something that suits your voice perfectly will cost you a lot less. Do a search around here. Lots of posts on what mics people are using. Find a vendor that will let you test them out before you buy.

Oh, just because you didn't mention it in your post. Don't forget to research good preamps too. If you're going that high end on the mic I'd think long and hard about just plugging it into the Mackie's pre.
marko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with Hart on the M149-simply awesome! Bang for the buck though, the TLM103 is an excellent choice for roughly $750. The U87 is of course, the industry standard and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The TLM149 has my curiousity piqued and I plan on researching that one a bit further as I'm going to let my BCM 104 go within the next
couple of months.

One thing that has worked for me in the past is going to a studio that I work with rather frequently and ask them if I can do a 'mic test' in between sessions sometime. Not only do they oblige, but they will burn a CD for me to listen to the differences in the mics. Most engineers are nice guys and will do this for you IF you have a rapport already established with them.

Best of luck, and let us know which one you decide upon!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeppers-- I'm doing a mic test now.
One of my producers asked me to try out some other mics and I've been running down a very short list.

The third consideration after mic and pre is YOUR ROOM.
I have a quiet room, not a dead room.

I gave up my Røde NTK because it just didn't sound good for me at all.
The Studio Projects C1 is dandy.
I have an El Cheapo Berringer B1 which actually sounds pretty nifty.

My LA pals are steering me hard away from the TLM 103.

You can do a search in the archives here for just this topic as it seems to appear about every 5 weeks or so.

Last edited by Deirdre on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB...just out of curiosity, why are they steering you away from the TLM103?
After I saw your previous post about looking into that particular mic, I started researching it too. I didn't find any terribly negative things about it. What was their reasoning behind staying away from the TLM?

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say for my voice I just don't like the TLM 103. It seems to bright or something.

I seem to recall somebody saying once that the TLM 103 was the mic that you bought when you couldn't afford a Neumann but wanted the "name" or something to that effect. I'm not slamming the mic, just pointing out the statement for conversation's sake.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may still need to try it out because one of the studios I work for out east via ISDN uses them in all their in-house studios and they want a sonic match.

The guys at Buzzy's said the TLM 103 " is for people who have no mic technique. "

Banksey said in an earlier thread:
Quote:
[With] the TLM103 you sit in roughly the same room and it'll make you sound good, it doesn't work anywhere near as hard as other mics to do it. Don't "close mic" and smile or you'll have to gate the plaque on your teeth arguing over which piece of gum to destroy.

I'm just hoping I can make my eastern people happy with the C1. I'll even try an SP B1. I'll try 'em all as long as I can return 'em if they don't work in my space.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB-I am looking at a Rodes NT1...what problems did you encounter with it? Was it background noise?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Røde NTK-- a different mic. It had a bump in its pickup spectrum at an odd place for my voice-- it actually sounded like I was talking into a coffee cup.

You're going to encounter MUCH MORE SOUND with a tube mic than with a dynamic mic.
It isn't "background noise"-- it's "room tone".
It's the actual sound of your room.

I use an Electro Voice RE20 every day for the broadcast stuff I do. It's a Dynamic mic. It picks up a lot less of "the room " than any large diaphragm mic. It's the nature of the mic and the way it works.
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, my Rode NTK makes me sound just like DB. Wink

Seriously, I'm quite happy with how it makes me sound, though I'm finding I have to be a little more careful about sibilance than I normally have with other mics in the past.
marko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I couldn't disagree more about the TLM103. I absolutely LOVE mine and have used just about every high end Neumann there is. Mics are definitely a personal thing, so testing them is mandatory. I still have an Audio Technica 4033 that I really like as well. Not sure where those audio engineers got off on saying that the 103 is for people without mic technique, because some of the premiere studios here in Atlanta use them nearly as much as the U87's.

The M149 would have to be at the top of my wish list, though!
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the info guys and gals. I should actually re-phrase....I dont necessarily want to spend 5 grand on a mic. 5 grand is about what I will probably spend on the entire studio. But I dont want to spare expense on the mic. Then again I dont want to buy an expensive mic and have it sound like suck with my voice either. so that is why i was asking. any advice is always appreciated.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the best mic you can afford and then spend the rest on all the other bits and pieces.

Do not buy a valve/tube mic. Using post production techniques or settings on you pre-amp you can get a condenser mic to sound like a tube but not the other way around. If a producer ask for a crytal clear, clean mic sound, with a tube you can't give it to him. It's for that reason I have not bought a Manley Gold reference mic or a Neumann M149.

Now this one is bound to be a good one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Neumann-U87-Microphone-Sounds-Great-Worlds-No-1_W0QQitemZ130019532141QQihZ003QQcategoryZ15198QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
If a producer ask for a crytal clear, clean mic sound, with a tube you can't give it to him.

It's wonderful nuggets like these that make the VO-BB such a great site and one of the many reasons I love having you around. Now if we can only work on your html skills to avoid having to scroll horizontally. Sticking out Tongue
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:
Now if we can only work on your html skills to avoid having to scroll horizontally. Sticking out Tongue

A nice WYSIWYG interface here at VO-BB would solve that problem... *hint hint nudge nudge, Deebs...*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: