VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptop Fan Noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadDillo
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Laptop Fan Noise Reply with quote

Since hooking up my NT1, I've been noticing more noise from my laptop fan. I've got a mic isolation box being delivered, but I'd like to ask if there are any suggestions y'all might have to eliminate as much noise as possible.

My thought was to put the laptop a greater distance away (maybe on a shelf I can drape a blanket over) and then use a remote monitor and keyboard setup to keep running.

The other thought was to ditch the laptop and build a PC that can sit on the floor and is designed for low noise to begin with.

Any other thoughts?
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there never and end to noises in a recording space??????

If you can move the computer to an adjacent space, the next room over, and run cables through the wall for mouse, keyboard and monitor, that helps. Sometimes that can be an economical project compared to other solutions. (In my case my studio is in a "bonus room" built in the attic. To put a computer on the other side of the wall would require building some kind of miniature room in the attic. Probably more expensive than some other solutions.)

If you do a lot of short radio commercial and production style recordings, you probably want the ability to do immediate play-back. If you do long-form stuff like book or corporate narrations, and you want to "punch and roll" then the following solution which I have adopted would not work as well for you: When recording, I turn off the computer and record with an Android tablet or my phone. No fan. No hard drive. No noise. When I get a chapter recorded, the computer is turned on, the recorded file is uploaded from Android to the computer and I edit away.

Another hair-brained idea I have, but elected not to try (yet) is to replace the computer hard drive with a solid-state-drive and splice some wires into the harness that connects the power-supply to the mother-board and just move the power supply to the other side of the wall. The cost of fabricating a "bird-house" to contain the power supply should be a lot less than fabricating a "dog-house" to contain the entire computer.... and make the entire compter accessible.

When you have toiled in a studio for several years with just enough noise to cause you to constantly talk a little louder than you would like and to never, never try recording a phrase where you put more space between you and your mic for a particular sound... I can tell you it is very liberating to sit down at the mic, start the recording, and just pretend you have total freedom: to whisper, to yell. to stand on your head, or whatever you think might create the unique sound you are striving for. (I haven't tried au natural yet. What if someone liked that audition and said come down to our studio in town and do that voice for us.)
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you can move the computer to an adjacent space, the next room over, and run cables through the wall for mouse, keyboard and monitor, that helps.

+1 on that.

I'm using a walk-in closet, and I found that after 10 or 20 minutes of recording on my MacBook Air the fan would get going louder and louder, to the point where it was quite noticeable.

I got a 1/8" mini-plug extension cable for speakers and an HDMI extension cable to drive a monitor, ran them under the door (I actually had to rip 1/4" off the bottom of the closet door, as the clearance was tight on the saltillo tile in the room, and I had a long mic cable and power extension cord to fit as well), moved my wireless keyboard and mouse into the closet, and haven't had a problem since.

vkuehn, I'm pretty sure moving the power supply would not help: the fan kicks on to cool the CPU, regardless of the drive type (my MacBook Air has a solid-state drive).

Cheers,
Rich
DeadDillo
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A follow up:

I went out and got an LCD monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse and tucked the laptop on a shelf covered by a heavy duty moving blanket.

The verdict: no more fan noise.

Now I only have to worry about cars driving down the street nearby.
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how you arranged the laptop and the moving blanket, you might also worry about frying your CPU: if it's covered fairly tightly, you're essentially thwarting the function of the fan -- which is a very important function, keeping the CPU at an appropriate operating temperature.

If it's not covered tightly, and there's some path for airflow, you're probably fine. If it IS covered tightly, you might look at somehow raising the laptop and keeping airspace above and below it, and arranging the blanket in such a way that it blocks the noise but leaves at least some opening for airflow/air exchange.
@RichMillerVO
DeadDillo
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich,

The laptop sits by itself on a shelf large enough to get a decent amount of airflow, even with a heavy blanket draped over the face of the shelf. So far, it's been running nice and cool and the new monitor/ keyboard combo leaves more room on my desk, so so far I'm really digging the new quiet setup.

No one ever tells you that noise dampening/ sound abatement becomes an obsessive hobby in this business. I'm already designing the house of my dreams, should I win the lottery: It will have an office with a bookcase that hides the staircase down to the basement studio.

And the booth will look like a TARDIS. cool
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadDillo wrote:

No one ever tells you that noise dampening/ sound abatement becomes an obsessive hobby in this business.

Yeah. It's like the guitar player looking for one more axe for his collection. Or is it more like a teenager: I'm going to pick one more pimple and then I'm going to quit! (For today.)

Quote:

I'm already designing the house of my dreams, should I win the lottery: It will have an office with a bookcase that hides the staircase down to the basement studio.

I have to guess that sometime in history we have had a thread similar to: "If you won the lottery.... what would you include in your new facility?" One thread for the building and acoustics.... another thread for the hardware.

I got to thinking about it and I just ran out to the curb and pulled my table saw back before the garbage truck got here.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadDillo wrote:

And the booth will look like a TARDIS.

What a cool idea. Wink
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadDillo wrote:
A follow up:

I went out and got an LCD monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse and tucked the laptop on a shelf covered by a heavy duty moving blanket.

The verdict: no more fan noise.

Now I only have to worry about cars driving down the street nearby.
I mitigated my laptop noise with a similar setup, except that instead of a shelf, I have it sitting under my desk wired to an LCD monitor. I also had a forced upgrade (old computer go boom!) earlier this year and now have an SSD drive. Personally I find that the fan is quieter, and kicks in much less frequently. Maybe it is the absence of hard drive whirring and clicking that has me thinking that it's quieter/better. Glancing up in this thread I see Rich has an SSD drive and still has fan noise woes, so switching to SSD is not a guaranteed improvement I guess.

Speaking of which: Rich, do you do a lot of longer form narration? The only time I ever notice things heating up and the fan kicking in is when I am bouncing a longer track (5+ minutes) to disc in Pro Tools, but most of what I do is shorter stuff so it's usually silent.

richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rich, do you do a lot of longer form narration?

Not a lot (unfortunately!), but yeah, that's when the problem shows up: when I'm recording continuously for quite some time, or when I'm recording off and on for a longer period of time.

I'm glad I bought the extension cables I need, because I really like long-form narration (just completed my first audiobook through ACX, http://www.audible.com/pd/Religion-Spirituality/Understanding-an-Atheist-Audiobook/B00NT6CAD2/) and I don't think my laptop will record for more than 15 minutes before the fan noise becomes noticeable.

DeadDillo, if the blanket is draped over the face of the shelf and not the laptop itself, I doubt you'd have a problem. Glad you found an easy solution!
@RichMillerVO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: