VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Copy "holding" technique
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Copy "holding" technique Reply with quote

How do you manage your copy during recording?

Looking for pros and cons of different trchniques.

I prefer to stand while tracking and im always looking for a better way.

Thanks
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Looking at my monitor (standing).
2. On a music stand (standing or sitting).

I'm usually standing.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people doing short segments.... radio commericals,... promos... etc. this is not as big a topic. (I presume.)

For long-for stuff like book narration, corporate training reads and things that flow over multiple pages.... there is an added challenge. If doing read from paper scripts.... what technique do you use to keep the page turns silent?

If you elect to put your copy "on screen"... putting a few pages into a document or pdf so it can live in the computer does not take enough time to really get your attention.

But if you get a rather sloppy version of a 7 to 9 hour book, script, the amount of time it takes to create an electronic version that will work "on screen" gets us back into that discussion of "How many hours of activity does it take to produce one finished hour?"

I am just now beginning to use a Tablet to read from an electronic script. Maybe someone knows of a better software, but I am finding that the Kindle Reader will handle a PDF file nicely. And the mic does NOT pick up the page turns.

If I were buying just for this purpose, I would go larger than the 8" tablet that I have. When I do my own scripts where I use a larger bold type, the 8 inch does very well. If I try to use a PDF script "as provided" the print tends to be a bit fainter and smaller than I prefer.

After all.... I am just a spoiled brat at heart.

If I am formatting and preparing my own PDF, I set very narrow, thin margins in my word processor to go along with the large font. Wide margins on a paper script are nice to pencil-in hints and corrections. The problem with electronic copy on a tablet or other screen, you can't makr in corrections on the fly.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all of my work is short-form (usually no more than a page or two) and I LOVE working from an iPad.

I've got it mounted on a mic stand in my booth, using an X-Clip from CrisKenna.com.

For changes on the fly (again, this applies to short-form only), a Dry-Erase marker right on the iPad screen works wonders.
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't laugh at me, but I copy from what I've been sent, paste into a template that fixes width and font size for my eyes, and use a footswitch to scroll the screen (after I had the footswitch idea, I got to looking around and found there's a product you iPad folks can get that will do the same thing, although I believe it's aimed at orchestra musicians for hands-free sheet music turning).

The footswitch isn't terribly switchy - in fact, it's fairly silent, being a repurposed USB rudder pedal I had in a bin of junk stuff.

And this topic made me laugh, the first response bearing on the classic Sit / Stand Argument - years ago, we'd have days and days of rather heated arguing on The National Midnight Star email list to determine if the One True Right Answer was to sit at the concert, or stand at the concert. Hee hee hee, those were the days.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisvoco wrote:
after I had the footswitch idea, I got to looking around and found there's a product you iPad folks can get that will do the same thing, although I believe it's aimed at orchestra musicians for hands-free sheet music turning).

I won one of these switches as a door prize at Faffcon on Saturday. I'll test it out on my Android tablet once I get home.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I probably did the best job of "thread-jacking" this topic so far but I think we have all made comments and asked questions that are legitimate to the concepts of 'script and session'.

But I think the original question/topic had to do with techniques of turning pages. If you use "hard copy"... do you hold it in your hand? Do you put it on a copy rack of some kind? Friends, Paper Is Noisy!

So, I contribute a question to the topic: For printing out scripts, have you fund a particular paper is LESS noisy? Is quality letter-head paper with fabric content more noisy or less noisy? Is 16 lb. stock more or less noisy than 20 or 24 pound paper?

(I wonder where I could get some of that crappy old fan-fold paper we used to feed the teletype news printer in radio stations a few decades ago? I don't remember that stuff being noisy.)

Does it help to crinkle the paper up a bit (after printing) and then store the printed, crinkled pages in a book or under a press of magazines for a day or so?

Does it help to manicure and polish your nails before the recording session?

A few years ago my wife became interested in "art".... as in doing water color and oil paintings. The supply houses sold some kind of spray to put on your finished work to keep it clean, to keep it from smudging. I wonder if that stuff would "quiet" the paper. (I'll have to wander into our storage area that occupies my recording studio and see if any of that stuff is still around. By now it would probably be well fermented and might be useful for other purposes. cool )
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no exaggeration, I haven't used a paper script in years...

my tiny booth can only accomodate one mic stand, so the iPad stand gets mounted to the boom arm of the mic stand.. I've gone thru about 3 or 4 of these things and they all break, or don't give me the right angle I need for posiitioning. this is the only one that has worked so far

http://www.parts-express.com/talent-iclaw-mic-or-music-stand-holder-for-apple-ipad--233-048?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Galaxy Note if I'm not at my studio.
Has a pen, voice recognition, or virtual keyboard to do edits.

To answer the question specifically. I usually have the pad situated in front of me so I can read it....if I haven't memorized it. #sarcasm
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still getting used to the iPad. I occasionally will print out a script for marking up (if it's longer than normal). but, trying to be modern. Wink
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Eagle wrote:

I use a Galaxy Note if I'm not at my studio.
Has a pen, voice recognition, or virtual keyboard to do edits.

What APP/software do you use, what file format do you use to save/store the editable document?
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:

What APP/software do you use, what file format do you use to save/store the editable document?

It came with Polaris Office. Pretty simple software that gets the job done.

It saves .Docx

Last edited by Eddie Eagle on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the iPad I'm using the Adobe PDF reader, and for Word Docs, something magically converts a doc to a screen-readable format. It all works.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the responses. I'm still trying to decide what to try next.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've said it before --- and i'll say it again ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: