VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SC Now & ipDTL may not work with new Google update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: SC Now & ipDTL may not work with new Google update Reply with quote

If you depend on these, double check to see if you can connect. This could be a pretty major issue.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this may always be an issue. Anyone who bases a business on the whims and fancies of Google may be in for a bumpy ride with constant updates, modifications (and in the worst case), product abandonment.

... and people who use services provided by these companies will be left without tools they have come to rely on.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bish writes:
... and people who use services provided by these companies will be left without tools they have come to rely on.

I add: ... and fees paid to a third party which are not recoverable.

Frank F
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I've worked with both of those quite a bit, and I have been less than excited about either one. SC Now has had funky connection issues quite regularly, and ipDTL usually has at least 1 or 2 dropouts (requiring retakes) per 15 minutes of a session. I'm on WAAAAY faster than required internet up speed as well. We ended up ditching both and going back to the SC standalone aHobo Tounge. There is a bigger delay, but it has been rock solid for connections and fixes dropouts if there are any.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, when you say SC "fixes dropouts" are you implying that your clients are using Repair/Replace? If so you might be the first I've heard about.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if there is a way for me to know if it is ever really used, but I do always have it turned on for them. I typically do 48k and the Q is usually not crossed out. I don't really know what it looks like on their end.

So, while I can't say that they ever use it, the option is there and set up. I don't think I've ever had an audible dropout though...maybe they are being fixed or maybe they aren't occurring. Would the software tell you if it had to fix something?
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to both work fine for me here (and I have the latest Googleplextopia).
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthEnd Voice, I've always been concerned that this might be an issue - but what was your source for claiming that the new chrome upgrade would stop SC or ipDTL? I've had no issues with them on my end.
samowry
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just point out the post says "May".

Maybe not.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Kevin, ipDTL developer

"We have no reason to believe that any recent or upcoming update to Chrome will have any impact on the operation of ipDTL. Chrome has a structured and transparent release schedule which allows us to test ipDTL on new versions and spot any potential bugs long before these reach the end user.

In the very unlikely event that Google should remove the necessary functionality from Chrome, we would simply release our own compatible browser before it became an issue for users."
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GWIII
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this may be in reference to Chrome moving to a 64 bit version on Windows 64 bit platforms? Google has explicitly said that 32 bit extensions likely will not work on the 64 bit platform, Now whether that applies to ipDTL or SCNow, it remains to be seen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Immer of Digifon.com chatted with Source Connect over their "Now" product and apparently it does NOT play well with the Chrome update. Hrumph. Dave's recent post:

http://digifon.cmail2.com/t/ViewEmail/j/718FB83F46C1B1B6/84E50D7DF89C11CB0F8C96E86323F7F9

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
"In the very unlikely event that Google should remove the necessary functionality from Chrome, we would simply release our own compatible browser before it became an issue for users."
This actually made me laugh out loud. In effect, it means we would have to use the oldest working version and avoid any pushed upgrades. This is impractical to say the least. In the unlikely event of them forking Chrome and having their own "branded version" of it... well, that's easy to say in one sentence, but methinks it may be a nightmare of elephantine proportions.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they CAN do that...why don't they just do that? Then it would be a stand alone aHobo Tounge that runs the codec they are using and doesn't rely on another company to not mess them up. I was going to say it seems silly to rely on Google for their whole business model...but then I realized I rely on Google for my daily operations too.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to avoid any dependency on Google. I avoid Google+ when I can, only used a hangout when forced and only use gmail as a backup. The only product where I have any dependency is Google Voice... and they pulled the rug out from under me on that by dropping support for connections to other VoIP services. GrandCentral worked fine... Google bought it and it worked fine... until they lost interest (and tried to force people into their other services) and now... I'm screwed.

(Yes, there are work-arounds with third-party paid services, but having one number that would ring both my cell and my dedicated VoIP "landline" in the office was a boon.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: