VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW ISDN INSTALLS ARE ALIVE AND WELL IN NYC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: NEW ISDN INSTALLS ARE ALIVE AND WELL IN NYC Reply with quote

There's been a lot of discussion about ISDN being phased out and copper being pulled - especially after Verizon's announcement last year they'd no longer install or move lines - which they quickly backpedaled on after an uproar from broadcasters over losing capabilities for remotes. It's been assumed that, while available, it would be a nightmore to get.

Well, since I plan to sell the house eventually, I decided to install ISDN in the apt in Lower Manhattan - so I have a studio for each side of the Hudson. I was prepared for it to be a chore and I was also concerned because much of lower Manhattan flooded in Hurricane Sandy, a lot of copper was destroyed and VZ's been replacing with FIOS.

Nope. Easy peasy.

The real bit of luck was getting the right person at - not Verizon customer service - but at a business division in D.C of all places. She gave me the name and number of a local guy. I left him a message and was thrilled when he left one back saying "oh sure, you need ISDN BRI, for radio remotes or voiceover work I'm betting," The size of my smile when I heard that almost broke my face.

We connected on the phone, he checked the address, put in the order and 13 days later the tech came to install the lines. The only glitch was when the tech - who was following instructions given by someone else - couldn't reach the people to test and my zephyr wasn't giving me a ready. He had to come back the next day and managed to get hold of the tester who said they hadn't programmed the lines yet. Duh. I had to leave and when I got back to the apt I fired it up, got a ready and tested with Bish. Works perfectly. Just as easy as my install in NJ years ago. Thought you'd all be pleased to hear that - and if anyone is planning on installing lines in the city give me a shout and I'll pass the contact info along.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But haven't you heard? ISDN is dead. It's been all over the internet, so it must be true. Sarcastic
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe ISDN stands for I Shall Die Never
Jen Gosnell
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, Ex, thanks for posting about this!
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, found it fascinating that we had zero issues getting ISDN installed at Edge Studio a few months ago, and on the SAME DAY we got FiOS, no less. That's certainly good news.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a tag along to this post:

Here in Portland, OR, Century Link is having an ISDN Sale!

Free installation
$16.50 Activation
$54.99 p/m line rental
AND a $50 VISA gift card!!!

A friend of mine just reported all this to me. they moved recently from the Midwest where AT&T was charging them over $300 a month.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nice to hear. That is a really sweet deal... that and a $500 box is a sound investment. One gig and you've got it all covered. I actually think it's going to be with us for many years... at least until I hang my microphone up. Now the issue is simply one of AT&T's price gouging. That may be a difficult battle to fight.
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This past July I finally had to pull the plug on my ISDN. Was at $400 per month here in Ohio at the end. My Musicam RoadWarrior LC is still for sale ($1800-excellent condition) but it would be nice to think AT&T will soon realize they don't have to price gauge people after all since other carriers aren't and that they should lower the price back to a fair rate. I'll keep dreaming.
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dan-O"]As a tag along to this post:

Here in Portland, OR, Century Link is having an ISDN Sale!

Free installation
$16.50 Activation
$54.99 p/m line rental
AND a $50 VISA gift card!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Century Link is the provider here in Eastern NC and the monthly rate is almost exactly the same. Plus the support has been great although I've only had one or two slight issues over several years with the service.

TIP: Get to know your local field tech person that handles the install and services the area. If possible , get their direct cell/contact number. I have those numbers right next to the gear rack.

( ... also doesn't hurt to remember them around the holidays like Christmas and ISDN Service Tech Appreciation Day...)
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW ISDN INSTALLS ARE ALIVE AND WELL IN NYC Reply with quote

melissa eX wrote:
Just as easy as my install in NJ years ago. Thought you'd all be pleased to hear that - and if anyone is planning on installing lines in the city give me a shout and I'll pass the contact info along.

Happy for you Melissa! I can certainly appreciate and relate having lived through Verizon - and then Frontier - Telco ownership changes in a suburban-Metro area in Michigan. Pretty certain that Metro areas are going to fare well as far as ISDN availability/marketability for the near term.

Was among the early-wave of ISDN-ers in the mid-90s -- actually it was limited to "Switched 56" (56k bandwidth) here -- and miraculously when Frontier bought out Verizon landline svc in this area they generously provisioned standard 64k ISDN-BRI to me (so I subsequently loved Frontier/hated Verizon).. Anyway as one who's been 'through the ringer' with Telco negotiation and service issues - always glad to hear of a good
Install and relationship being established in the world of Special Circuits: )

Best,

Mike

Saying something since 1970-
something
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: