VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mystery mic noise
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: mystery mic noise Reply with quote

This evening I noticed an intense barrage of pops clicks and crackles on some audio I was recording. I disconnected the mic to see whether it was coming from anywhere else in my chain and - nope. It was coming from the microphone. The random pops and crackles happened even in silent bits, but seemed more pronounced when I was speaking. I panicked, shut everything down, muttered a little prayer of hope, fired everything up - and it had stopped. Of course, now I am paranoid over every little click that happens and wonder whether it is my mouth or the mic doing it! I had been noticing occasional little bits and bobs on my recordings that struck me as odd and unnatural earlier this week, but I just repaired or re-recorded those bits and moved on. Now I wonder.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to save any of the audio when it was really being noisy. (if it crops up in an obvious way again, I'll save a recording) Until then ( and I hope that time=never!), does anyone have any clues judging from the description? Is the mic dying, or do I just chalk it up to some random thing that will hopefully not happen again? I'm using a CAD e100s, and I would hate to have to shelve it.

DeadDillo
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mic are you using? Whats the interface?
Charles Nove
Contributor III

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought .... do you switch the phantom power off when you've finished for the day, or do you leave the mic powered 24/7?

I've heard some pretty weird cracking, popping and thundering noises from condenser mics that have been allowed to get cold and then develop microscopic amounts of condensation on the diaphragm.

The noises would cease after 30 mins or so, if this was the case.

www.charlesnove.com
For ISDN links with London: www.a1vox.com
For scenic tours of London by Routemaster bus: www.ThisBus.com
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charles! I think that it happened in the middle of the day, so past a 30 minute warm up period. Still... I'm inconsistent in how I shut down for the night (sometimes shut everything down, sometimes just let the computer sleep but leave the mic plugged in and phantom power on), so I'll keep an eye on the possibility.

Though lately I've been having trouble with my computer restarting randomly when it is in sleep mode. Because why have one buggy problem when you can have several?

chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foog, you see this post here:

http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=225282&sid=b199d738e898d3daf8d8bbd03b257ba2

...from a few months ago. Are you in warranty?
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely recall that thread, Chris. Thanks for linking to it, gave me the chance to listen again. I think my noises were a bit different - more like crackles and pops rather than the almost staticky white noise that Bill had.

Unfortunately, I am not covered. At least I don't think I am - I bought it used. Mind you, CAD were pretty decent about another question I had ("flipping" the shockmount around. They even sent me a video), so if the problem rears its ugly head again, perhaps contacting them directly will be my next step.

Foog
DC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An odd and oddly unpleasant development which I am not entirely sure is related:

This evening I have been getting random staticky pops during playback that are NOT on the original recordings. (the crackles and pops that led me to start this thread, however, were definitely on the recorded tracks). The fact that it was randomly interspersed during playback is new, but the sound is quite similar to what was happening the other day.

Could this be part of the same problem? Or am I conflating two entirely unrelated issues? Anyone have any ideas? Maybe I should have kept that power conditioner I returned?

tayman0522

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Try this Reply with quote

If the problem is microscopic condensation, try adding some of those silica packets in the sleeve with your microphone when storing the mic or whenever it is not in use. Those same packets that you get sometimes with your over-the-counter medicine that say, DO NOT EAT! I was told that those can help with preventing condensation.
http://tayblog.com
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the silica packs covered, I do! And I even have a tip for people looking to acquire some silica gel packs: unless you want to drop upwards of 50 bucks or more for wholesale quantities online, just go to the local shoe store (or any store that sells products that are packed with the things) and ask them to set some aside for you. They usually just throw them out, and most people would be happy to see them reused rather than go to a landfill. I went to the mall and asked a couple of shops to help me out and within a week was rewarded with dozens of the things!

chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, any progress on finding the culprit?

You sure it's not EVP or the odd marauding spirit or two?
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck yet. It's sporadic and frustrating it is! I go several days with no problems, then maybe a tiny bit of noise that I can't be certain is coming from my trenchant mouth or from staticky poltergeists. This past week I have often felt there is more than run-of-the-mill mouth clicking going on when I edit, but I am never certain. There has been no consistent obvious and awful noise on any tracks since my first post.

If it manifests (how's that for a good ghostbuster's word?) itself in a big noticeable way again, I'll put up a sample in the hope that someone can help me pinpoint the nature of the problem that way.

chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll listen to songs by Ray Parker, Jr., until you do.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's baaaaack. Happened earlier today after an hour or two of problem-free recording. I did the IT Crowd thing ( http://youtu.be/C2Ph8zwpNyI ) and the clicks disappeared when I restarted the computer. I'm glad the mystery noise went away this time, but this is driving me bonkers! I'm terrified that it will kick in during a patched session, or that the next time I won't be able to make it stop. Plus, every minor click now sends me into a panic - "is that the THING again, or just a mouth click?" ARrrggghhh.

At any rate, here is a snippet of audio with the aberrant noise happening. Chris already gave it a listen (thanks Chris!) and suggested that it is probably not a mic or cable issue but something digital-like. If anyone has any ideas what could be the cause, I'm all ears.

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-fogarasi/micnoise-nov19-2014

I'm using a CAD e100s through a new audient id22 into a new-ish MacBook Pro (running Maverick) and Pro Tools 11. Speaking of which, I took a screenshot of my playback engine settings - note the "may cause clicks and pops". Could this be my culprit? If so, what happens if I unclick that setting, will my DAW conk out or stop recording when it encounters an error instead of clicking and popping?

UPDATE: And it happened again. This time I tried changing the above setting - it made things worse if anything. Then I just restarted the computer after shutting down the DAW. Seems like the noise has stopped... for now. Which tells me Chris is probably right in assuming it is neither mic nor cable. But what is it then... WHAT, carpdammit?!

Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you raised your buffer size? Try doubling it and see if it goes away.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jason,

I had been messing with the buffer size when I first got the Audient not that long ago. I will try increasing it and see how that works out for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: